You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
Good to see him get a game, most patient man in football.
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Yep did what he had to do really but only playing against ten men helped . Still clean sheet and not much more you can really say .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 4:22am
Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

Good to see him get a game, most patient man in football.
no that's Stuart Taylor...Look at his career statsLOL
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 3:01pm
Played a great game. Kept Deeney and Gray quiet.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
Kevin playing again tonight
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
Starts tonight
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:45pm
Plays well again.Clean sheet and a win. Upto 4th.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Mad that MON has so little faith in our players. There is Burnley with Ward, Hendrick, Brady and now Kevin Long all in the first 11 showing they are very decent players when set up right. When you have guys like Coleman, McCarthy, Duffy supplementing that MON shouldnt be downplaying our guys every chance he gets. In regards to Long great to see him getting some game time lets hope it continues.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Mad that MON has so little faith in our players. There is Burnley with Ward, Hendrick, Brady and now Kevin Long all in the first 11 showing they are very decent players when set up right. When you have guys like Coleman, McCarthy, Duffy supplementing that MON shouldnt be downplaying our guys every chance he gets. In regards to Long great to see him getting some game time lets hope it continues.

What better way to congratulate the lad on his performance than take a pop at the manager that has given him all his international caps...
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:39pm

It’s true. The logic doesn’t add up. The common perception is that premier league football is superior to international football. So how can our players be good enough for the premiere league but not good enough for international football?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It’s true. The logic doesn’t add up. The common perception is that premier league football is superior to international football. So how can our players be good enough for the premiere league but not good enough for international football?
Where would the Ireland team be in the table if they were a premier league side though? Count up the number of goals scored by our players in the last couple of years in the prem and tell me that adds up to anything other than relegation?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:32pm

Because it's the hipster thing in European football to go 5 across midfield and play on the counter, the appalling amount of games in the Euro's proved that. I think every team used the exact same mindset except from Spain and Germany.

It takes a Manager with balls to break the current trend with a newer one which counters that, as Conte did with 3 at the back, he didn't invent it but he certainly made it the thing to do amongst the big teams in the EPL.

Edited by coyne - 12 Dec 2017 at 11:33pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Where would the Ireland team be in the table if they were a premier league side though? Count up the number of goals scored by our players in the last couple of years in the prem and tell me that adds up to anything other than relegation?

I don’t know where we would be in the table, but I know that Seamus Coleman would be far and away Burnleys best player, while the likes of Duffy, and a fit James McCarthy would be vying for starting places.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I don’t know where we would be in the table, but I know that Seamus Coleman would be far and away Burnleys best player, while the likes of Duffy, and a fit James McCarthy would be vying for starting places.

Exactly - that’s the point. Our players are evidently good enough to be 4th in the table. Why shouldn’t we compete at international level if our players are used to competing with some of the worlds best players on a weekly basis.

The answer I think is organization. Premier league teams play with each other every week. Teams like Iceland have brought that institutionalized system to international football and have succeeded because of it

Edited by DeclanDaly - 13 Dec 2017 at 1:54am
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:33am
To be able to qualify for world cups though you need to have players who can create and score goals against quality teams. Republic of Ireland players have scored 7 goals this season and created 5 in the permier league . That doesn't put you fourth in the league it puts you last. 
That's why we rely on such negative tactics to, not because our players are less familiar with each other than other teams.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:53am

To be able to qualify for world cups though you need to have players who can create and score goals against quality teams. Republic of Ireland players have scored 7 goals this season and created 5 in the permier league . That doesn't put you fourth in the league it puts you last. 
That's why we rely on such negative tactics to, not because our players are less familiar with each other than other teams.

That is also true. We do lack regular goalscorers, even (to continue in the Burnley theme) a couple of the standard of Chris Wood or Sam Vokes.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:00am

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Exactly - that’s the point. Our players are evidently good enough to be 4th in the table. Why shouldn’t we compete at international level if our players are used to competing with some of the worlds best players on a weekly basis.

The answer I think is organization. Premier league teams play with each other every week. Teams like Iceland have brought that institutionalized system to international football and have succeeded because of it

No. A couple of our players are good enough to be playing in an overachieving side, just because they are doing so does not mean we must be doing better. It is a constant argument on here and one that is completely illogical, yet people run with it anyway. Judging players on the league position of their clubs appears to be very much an Irish thing, I just assume it is a form of clutching at straws?
We would also be a much better side if we had a few of the non-Irish Burnley players available to us. With no disrespect to Sam Vokes, it kind of shows where we are when we are desperate for a striker like him.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

What better way to congratulate the lad on his performance than take a pop at the manager that has given him all his international caps...

agree here. also, kevin long is only now starting to get a run of games in the burnley side. considering he's been bench warming for most of the season, why should he be in the starting XI for the national team? the attack on MON is nonsensical, much like that to when Declan rice got into the west ham starting XI. young lads that need to concentrate on establishing themselves at club level before they can look to playing international matches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
  Share Topic