Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:55am
Arguments for both sides but we dont know the lad. There may be all sorts of extenuating family/private circumstances that see the arrangement suit him.

And unless Blackburn, Preston or Bolton offer him something suitable, id imagine he would have to upstick and move.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

I’d argue, he’s had a great career. Based on his playing ability he would probably be a Championship player at best. To be at a Premier League club for over 10 years and getting 17 caps is a testament to his attitude and application. He basically overachieved to an extent.
A much better example for a waste of a career is Anthony Stokes. Fair enough he’s won some big trophies in Scotland but he had all the natural talent to be a star player in the PL and for the national team but in the end never lived up to his talent.
From speaking to one ex-international and reading a few biographies, the buzz of appearing in a full stadium seems to disappear after a while. Most of the time you just get abuse from fans and being on the bench keeps you safe from most of the vitriol.
 I know, I’d much rather be on the bench at Burnley earning 20k than getting dogs abuse playing for a team at the bottom of the Championship.

Stokes showed in the games he played under Noel King as interim manager that he had something to offer us.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:47am
Probably the best judge of his own life and career is Long himself. I think there is an argument to be made that a move would have seen him make more appearances and would guarantee his place in the Irish squad. But he will have his own reasons, including valuing playing the number of matches he does in the Premier League (granted it has been quiet this term), perhaps valuing working with Dyche and Burnley, valuing membership of a squad and working in that way. He may not like the idea of “have boots, will travel” while clocking up miles by journeying across the Championship and League One for game time.

Fans will always have their opinions. Be it on players who make paltry numbers of appearances, or players who remain contracted to clubs for long periods of time  While not playing. At the highest level we saw it with Jack Grealish last summer when some Villa fans seemed to be stunned by the idea that Grealish was forfeiting (in their eyes) a chance to be a “club legend” to chase silverware. The truth is those fans are wrong. It’s easy to decide what we would do, and often being a legend for the club you support would fall into the category of high desirability. But that’s not how it works for professional footballers who are motivated to improve and advance.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:22pm
Hard one to guess what Kevin thinks about it all but my my 2 cent worth maybe like this .
Without doubt Dyche has spoken to him about his roll in the club if Tarks or Mee was out for any reason he would be called in ( now 4th choice Collins is next in line ) , now he did get his chance and picked up a CL injury up in Newcastle , the club looked after him and maybe he sees it as a bond .
Wife and kids very settled in school love where they live and are very happy , her job is just around the corner and loves it also .
All these things have to be weighed up , also he is a squad player and will get bonuses which are massive when the club hits 40 points in the Premier league at the Turf .
Set for life if he is wise or on the scrap heap like so many top flight players who blew the lot .
 You decide .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

I’d argue, he’s had a great career. Based on his playing ability he would probably be a Championship player at best. To be at a Premier League club for over 10 years and getting 17 caps is a testament to his attitude and application. He basically overachieved to an extent.
A much better example for a waste of a career is Anthony Stokes. Fair enough he’s won some big trophies in Scotland but he had all the natural talent to be a star player in the PL and for the national team but in the end never lived up to his talent.
From speaking to one ex-international and reading a few biographies, the buzz of appearing in a full stadium seems to disappear after a while. Most of the time you just get abuse from fans and being on the bench keeps you safe from most of the vitriol.
 I know, I’d much rather be on the bench at Burnley earning 20k than getting dogs abuse playing for a team at the bottom of the Championship.

Ah come off it, you play football as a young lad/girl for the love of the game and that stays with you regardless of money or what level you're playing at. It's why you have Sunday league games in pishing rain and freezing temperatures.

If you're a footballer, especially one who worked your balls off to make it to the top, you would rather be playing in the Championship than sitting in a bench at Burnley your whole career. 

100% correct 
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:17am
Good Man Kev who has spent 12 years at Turf Moor . 

In that time he has started 55 games .

Something you don't see very often these days .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:19am
The above almost reads as a sarcastic post, but i know it is not. 

4.5 starts for every one of those 12 years.
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:26am
LOL Accidental Partridge.

It's insane how few games he's played in his career. He's only made 63 appearances for Burnley.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Good Man Kev who has spent 12 years at Turf Moor . 

In that time he has started 55 games .

Something you don't see very often these days .
He must make a good cuppa!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:51am
Over a year since he last played a game of senior football. Two PL2 appearances are his lot for this season, didn't even play in the EFL Cup. If Burnley go down he might actually get to play a few first team games next year.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Feb 2022 at 9:51am
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 10:08am
It's really a hard call , now like we have said so many times on this thread Kevin knows what he wants and has over the years had many a chance to leave if he wanted to but stayed on in his role as a back up .
I think he has played 17 times for the Republic as well . 

These days not many Premiership players stay 12 years with one club , now Noble stands out at West Ham other than that can't think of too many . 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 10:21am
According to transfermarkt the three longest serving premier league players with the same club are Noble, Coleman and Long. Two Irish players and an Irish qualified player. We are a loyal bunch it seems.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Over a year since he last played a game of senior football. Two PL2 appearances are his lot for this season, didn't even play in the EFL Cup. If Burnley go down he might actually get to play a few first team games next year.

Might actually get to play a game or two at the rate Burnley are losing centre backs.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 7:20pm

Might actually get to play a game or two at the rate Burnley are losing centre backs.
Don’t be telling him that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 11:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:16pm
Could start Burnley's remaining three games due to Tarkowski's injury. Confident, Claret Murph?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:31pm
With those 3 games, he could double his total apps as a senior pro
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 9:40pm
One for the future
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
  Share Topic