You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:44am
If his rumoured wages of over £20k a week are correct it's easy to see why he has done it, rather than play in the Championship for a small fraction of that. Should retire at 35 as a millionaire and set for life if he has managed his money well while at Burnley.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:58am
I'm assuming he stayed there for personal reasons because it's a complete waste of a career otherwise. Anytime he played for us he looked decent enough, surely good enough to play at the higher end of the Championship any way. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:06am
Darron Gibson's played more club games than him!

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 2:43pm
Fair play to him, its a short career and if hes on £20k a week thats him sorted for life. 31 now and has 18 months left on his contract. If he leaves when thats run down he'll only be 33 that August, still plenty of time to go and play if he wants. Wouldn't be surprised if went onto somewhere like the MLS at that stage either.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 5:55pm
A waste of a career. 

There are examples of some professional players who didn't like playing just did it because they were good at it, there was a Spurs player who wouldn't know who they were playing week to week or even where they were in the league table, he was a good player too. Maybe Long is the same
It would damage this forums' reputation
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

A waste of a career. 

There are examples of some professional players who didn't like playing just did it because they were good at it, there was a Spurs player who wouldn't know who they were playing week to week or even where they were in the league table, he was a good player too. Maybe Long is the same
Assou-Ekotto
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 6:44pm
Would you ask anyone else in another career to take a pay cut and worse working conditions for the sake of professional pride? The 20k a week contract reflects his talent and the sacrifices he’s made to make it to the top of his chosen profession, in this case the Premier League.
 I’m sure he could’ve had 200 odd appearances for someone like Shrewsbury at this stage but would have very little to show for all his efforts at the end of it.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Would you ask anyone else in another career to take a pay cut and worse working conditions for the sake of professional pride? The 20k a week contract reflects his talent and the sacrifices he’s made to make it to the top of his chosen profession, in this case the Premier League.
 I’m sure he could’ve had 200 odd appearances for someone like Shrewsbury at this stage but would have very little to show for all his efforts at the end of it.

Exactly, well put 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:20pm
A waste of a career. A well paid one but a waste. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:30pm
Didn't he have two separate serious cruciate knee injuries that both had him out for a year each, one during the 13/14 , the second during the 16/17 season.
I wonder can his body handle a full season of matches?
TBF to him you never hear he had a bad match to often when he does play.

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:54pm
He was offered out on loan to Championship clubs 2 years ago and had absolutely no interest in going anywhere.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

A waste of a career. A well paid one but a waste. 

In what regard is it a waste though?

Its not like he was ever squandering the chance to win silverware with a top 4 side!

If he was a regular for Burnley all those year and racked up 300 odd appearances, he'd be at best a bit of cult hero with Burnley fans like Whelan or Walters were at Stoke, or Coleman at Everton.

He still wouldn't have any medals to show for it.

Like at the end of the day hes played in the Premier League almost 50 times, against Liverpool at Anfield, United at Old Trafford, Chelsea at Stamford bridge etc.. thats something most kids grow up dreaming of doing and something most players could CAN only dream of doing. We've had thousands of players come through that never made the cut or never got the opportunity to play at such a high level even once.

Plus hes also got to play 17 times for his country, again something many players could only dream of doing for others they might have won a solidarity cap.

All whilst making a nice living.
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:51pm
Reminds me of Colin Doyle the keeper... when people say waste of a career I take it to mean the enthusiasm and drive of build up to a game on saturday .the emotion of running out to a packed stadium and the tension and drive to b playing in these games.. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He's living the life of a reserve keeper. Knows that he has no chance of getting a game unless there are absentees. 

More clean sheets than Kelleher!
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 7:26am
I’d argue, he’s had a great career. Based on his playing ability he would probably be a Championship player at best. To be at a Premier League club for over 10 years and getting 17 caps is a testament to his attitude and application. He basically overachieved to an extent.
A much better example for a waste of a career is Anthony Stokes. Fair enough he’s won some big trophies in Scotland but he had all the natural talent to be a star player in the PL and for the national team but in the end never lived up to his talent.
From speaking to one ex-international and reading a few biographies, the buzz of appearing in a full stadium seems to disappear after a while. Most of the time you just get abuse from fans and being on the bench keeps you safe from most of the vitriol.
 I know, I’d much rather be on the bench at Burnley earning 20k than getting dogs abuse playing for a team at the bottom of the Championship.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 7:49am
Not sure I would classify a job which pays a million a year for doing very little, entirely without responsibility, retirement age 35,  as a waste. On top of that you get to watch football every week with a brilliant pitch side view.  Wish it was me.  

Edited by Ecumenical Matter - 15 Dec 2021 at 8:23am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:04am

I’d argue, he’s had a great career. Based on his playing ability he would probably be a Championship player at best. To be at a Premier League club for over 10 years and getting 17 caps is a testament to his attitude and application. He basically overachieved to an extent.
A much better example for a waste of a career is Anthony Stokes. Fair enough he’s won some big trophies in Scotland but he had all the natural talent to be a star player in the PL and for the national team but in the end never lived up to his talent.
From speaking to one ex-international and reading a few biographies, the buzz of appearing in a full stadium seems to disappear after a while. Most of the time you just get abuse from fans and being on the bench keeps you safe from most of the vitriol.
 I know, I’d much rather be on the bench at Burnley earning 20k than getting dogs abuse playing for a team at the bottom of the Championship.

Sitting on the bench for the vast majority of his career is now over achieving is it?

He's a complete and utter mercenary with no drive or ambition. There is so much he could have done, but opted to sit on his hole and collect $$$$. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 9:36am

Ah come off it, you play football as a young lad/girl for the love of the game and that stays with you regardless of money or what level you're playing at. It's why you have Sunday league games in pishing rain and freezing temperatures.

If you're a footballer, especially one who worked your balls off to make it to the top, you would rather be playing in the Championship than sitting in a bench at Burnley your whole career. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
  Share Topic