Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:08pm
Another mercenary happy to sit on the bench who put the coin ahead of his career like Rob Elliott, we are quick to slate foreign players on a weekly basis who do this but tend to turn a blind when it's our own.

Kevin Long while not a great player by any means would have played 200+ games more at a lower level and still earned a very nice amount whilst probably adding more Ireland caps to his name in the process if he showed any sort of ambition.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:16pm
Easy to say. Apart from James McClean and Jonny Hayes, I cannot think of too many who have shown much in the way of disdain for the almighty dollar, though I personally have a lot of admiration for both or having other aspirations. I would not knock either Long or Elliot-they had to make rational decisions.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:23pm
Countless Irish players have dropped a division to play regularly Confused

Westwood, Arter, Robinson, Whelan, Hogan etc to name but a few whether that was permanently or on loan at least decided to push for a move to actually play football.

Having admiration for two players who've wasted their careers by sitting on the bench (many times not even making the match day squads) good God........
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Another mercenary happy to sit on the bench who put the coin ahead of his career like Rob Elliott, we are quick to slate foreign players on a weekly basis who do this but tend to turn a blind when it's our own.

Kevin Long while not a great player by any means would have played 200+ games more at a lower level and still earned a very nice amount whilst probably adding more Ireland caps to his name in the process if he showed any sort of ambition.

Probably have to agree . Couple of bad injuries though, which maybe made him think of the coin!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:59pm
Of those you have named, how many lost money by dropping down voluntarily ? None ? Long and Elliot made rational decisions as would you or I were we in the same boat. McClean voluntarily took a drop in salary to join Wigan from Sunderland and we all know the background to that. Fair play to him, he deserves respect for that and his subsequent return to the Premiership with West Brom. Jonny Hayes will play most games for Aberdeen next season rather than being a squad player with Celtic but has voluntarily agreed to defer what will be reduced wages. Again, respect is due.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:00pm

Mercenary? No ones forcing Burnley to keep him ffs LOL
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:04pm
If professional football was like an everyday job where you went from earning €500 a week to €350 a week by all means there is definite logic to staying in the higher paid job "but" if you're telling me greed doesn't play a huge part in the modern day footballers mindset when thinking about what's more important the cash or the glory, most will pick the cash which is sad to say but at least there would be some consolation if you were actually playing week in week out.

Averaging barely 10 games a season throughout your career while gaining international recognition in the process, that's shameful imo. Very much a case of "what could have been"

It's funny mind because Kevin Long will still be a millionaire by the time he retires whether he was at Burnley or Bristol City for a sustained period and like most who dip their toes into coaching, they walk into handy well paid roles straight after retiring. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The only reason Burnley keep him around the place is because he doesn't care if he plays or not, if he did he would have moved on which is rather simple to grasp Confused

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:37pm

If professional football was like an everyday job where you went from earning €500 a week to €350 a week by all means there is definite logic to staying in the higher paid job "but" if you're telling me greed doesn't play a huge part in the modern day footballers mindset when thinking about what's more important the cash or the glory, most will pick the cash which is sad to say but at least there would be some consolation if you were actually playing week in week out.

Averaging barely 10 games a season throughout your career while gaining international recognition in the process, that's shameful imo. Very much a case of "what could have been"

It's funny mind because Kevin Long will still be a millionaire by the time he retires whether he was at Burnley or Bristol City for a sustained period and like most who dip their toes into coaching, they walk into handy well paid roles straight after retiring. 

Professional football IS an everyday job if you're a professional footballer. The bottom line is exactly the same, you make as much as you can from. In fact it's even more pronounced seeing as the average career is about 15 years rather than 45.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:40pm
Precisely. If you were in your 30s, had a family, were settled in the area, had no more lucrative offers on the table.....you would do what, exactly, GD ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:44pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The only reason Burnley keep him around the place is because he doesn't care if he plays or not, if he did he would have moved on which is rather simple to grasp Confused

There are plenty of guys who would fit that bill; you don't survive 10 years at a club simoly because you don't make a fuss about playing. Long has been an invaluable "3rd choice" for Burnley over the years. They know that if a centre back gets injured, Long will be able to take his place without weakening the team. That is why he's lasted there so long.
We're decent enough..
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:34am
Not quite a mercenary if he's stayed at the club for 10 years. Not as if he's moving from club to club every year trying to get more money.
The dark side.. And the light
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 12:44pm
I think you are way too harsh GD as i really take it as Long is part of the squad and happy where he is and his whole life around it , kids at school and so on .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:11am
Kevin starts for the Clarets today Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:36am
Robbie Brady and Jimmy Dunne on bench. Egan, Stevens and McGoldrick all start for Sheffield Utd.

Edited by Green Cockade - 05 Jul 2020 at 11:40am
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:12pm
How did long do?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:17pm
Reasonably well. Played one lovely cross field pass in the first half, but other than that looked a bit awkward on the ball as usual. Defensively he was good though (also as per).
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:55pm
He looked like a good solid Championship level centre back. He's clearly never going to be a regular at Burnley while they're in the EPL but he's a dependable back up when call on and presumably that's why they keep him there and he's happy enough with that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic