Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, Duffy looked awful at Blackburn, where he earned the wonderful nickname '50p head' and I still don't trust his positional sense but he has had an excellent season at Brighton.

He was fairly good for Blackburn bar the start of this season according to most reports on this forum. Was he not "consistently high on ranking sites" etc, or at least that's what his proponents were saying. Certainly he'd had a far longer run of extended first team football when O'Neill called him up than Long has had.
He was very erratic for them, going by Blackburn fans mainly though.
Duffy was called up to his first training squad in 2010 and to the senior squad in the run-up to 2012 and was in and around squads from then until making his debut in America. He would have played far less football than Long when he was first in a squad.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:02pm

Yeah, Duffy looked awful at Blackburn, where he earned the wonderful nickname '50p head' and I still don't trust his positional sense but he has had an excellent season at Brighton.

He was fairly good for Blackburn bar the start of this season according to most reports on this forum. Was he not "consistently high on ranking sites" etc, or at least that's what his proponents were saying. Certainly he'd had a far longer run of extended first team football when O'Neill called him up than Long has had.

Duffy was called up to his first training squad in 2010 and to the senior squad in the run-up to 2012 and was in and around squads from then until making his debut in America. He would have played far less football than Long when he was first in a squad.

He was mostly decent I would have said, if not as good as some claimed. Notice I said when O'Neill first called him up, ie. after a stand out season for Yeovil and becoming a regular for Blackburn. I'm aware that Duffy's first call up in 2010 was similar to Longs, in that he didn't really do a whole lot to earn it. My issue isn't with such call-up per se, but more with MONS inconsistency.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:06pm

He was mostly decent I would have said, if not as good as some claimed. Notice I said when O'Neill first called him up, ie. after a stand out season for Yeovil and becoming a regular for Blackburn. I'm aware that Duffy's first call up in 2010 was similar to Longs, in that he didn't really do a whole lot to earn it. My issue isn't with such call-up per se, but more with MONS inconsistency.
I can understand the frustration but I wouldn't call it inconsistency, it is simply his judgement. He sees something in Long that you may see in other players and wonder why he doesn't choose them.

Duffy was in and around the squad for four years when he made his debut, we also had a much shorter list of centre-halves at that particular moment in time.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 May 2017 at 3:07pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:15pm

He was scoring og's or getting sent off every other week, the fans hated him at the end. was just as well out of the madhouse anyway.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

He was scoring og's or getting sent off every other week, the fans hated him at the end. was just as well out of the madhouse anyway.
There was a lot of bad blood at the end, Duffy coming out of it particularly badly, not just with dreadful performances on the pitch but he never wore an armband to commemorate Jack Walker, (I presume it was an oversight but football fans are very touchy about these things) and there were snapchats he sent saying "get me out of this f**king club" and referring to the town in a derogatory manner.
He is absolutely hated there, I occasionally pop on their boards to see how they are dealing with Venkys and I have seen him labelled, more than a few times, as the 'biggest disgrace to have played for the club'. Many still believe the own-goals and sending off weren't accidental.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:25pm

There was a lot of bad blood at the end, Duffy coming out of it particularly badly, not just with dreadful performances on the pitch but he never wore an armband to commemorate Jack Walker, (I presume it was an oversight but football fans are very touchy about these things) and there were snapchats he sent saying "get me out of this f**king club" and referring to the town in a derogatory manner.
He is absolutely hated there, I occasionally pop on their boards to see how they are dealing with Venkys and I have seen him labelled, more than a few times, as the 'biggest disgrace to have played for the club'. Many still believe the own-goals and sending off weren't accidental.

Fair play, resulted in their relegation in the end
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Fair play, resulted in their relegation in the end
There was a lot more to their relegation than Duffy's unprofessional behaviour, it reflected badly on him though.

Their fans are a pretty deluded bunch though, as fans go.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:00pm
Kev looks like a Martin O'Neill kind of centre half a white Bobo Balde.

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:27am
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Germany...?
Being one of the worst myths, usually with somebody adding that we were the first to play them after the war. Just to clarify, Switzerland were the first team to play them and they took their second choice colours from the DFB logo, which in turn was taken from football pitch markings. 
Panathinaikos is another one, people unable to accept that shamrocks and the colour green are used outside of Ireland.

The funny thing about the Panathinaikos story is that the true story is even odder than the myth
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Germany...?
Being one of the worst myths, usually with somebody adding that we were the first to play them after the war. Just to clarify, Switzerland were the first team to play them and they took their second choice colours from the DFB logo, which in turn was taken from football pitch markings. 
Panathinaikos is another one, people unable to accept that shamrocks and the colour green are used outside of Ireland.

The funny thing about the Panathinaikos story is that the true story is even odder than the myth
Because an athlete playing for them suggested it? It is hardly that odd!

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Captains Burnley today v West Ham. Brady, Hendrick and Ward all start too.
The only way is up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:47pm
3 appearances, 2 losses, 1 draw, and 6 goals conceded equals a call up for Long. It really does make you wonder about MON's selection criteria...
We're decent enough..
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:03pm

3 appearances, 2 losses, 1 draw, and 6 goals conceded equals a call up for Long. It really does make you wonder about MON's selection criteria...

He got the call-up after 2 appearances so your equation is wrong. 

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
Over to you big man !!!
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:05pm
Shouldn't even be in the squad let alone start in a game of this importance
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:11pm
What a big day for the kid. Best of luck KL
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Shouldn't even be in the squad let alone start in a game of this importance

That's the spirit
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic