You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Pubs for Pint of Guinness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:44pm
The Toucan is a good pint alright, will be rammed on Thursday for Arthur's day. Auld fella behind the bar freaking out cos there's too many impatient people trying to get a pint is funny to watch. If it's raining like it is now, it will be a nightmare to get inside it as it's so small.

The Guinness in the Alex in Clapham isn't actually bad, considering everything else on draught is woeful. Sunday evening in there with a few quiet pints of Guinness is great.

Issac's Well in Clonmellon in Westmeath does a good Guinness but the best pints are those crossroad pubs in the middle of nowhere like the Hurlers Rest in Westmeath or The Bawn Inn about two miles outside Athboy in Meath.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:45pm
Fagan's, Drumcondra
The Donaghmede Inn
O'Tooles GAA Club
Dalymount members bar
Keogh's, South Anne Street
Harrington's, Leeson St just off Stephen's Green
But in truth, I'd drink a Guinness out of a Tramp's boot after he'd pissed himself.

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 25 Sep 2012 at 5:21pm
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

Whats the name of the bar across from Busaras?

It's the nicest pint of stout I have had when in Dublin. I had a pint of Guinness in O'Shea's in Manchester today and it was decent enough, probably the best I have had outside of Ireland.

Depends on what side of Busaras you're talking about...........Robert Reade's (formerly Keatings) is one bar, or round the back (where the Luas Stop is) is Kate's Cottage (but I think that's been re-named recently).  We used to have YBIG meet ups there in the horrible Croker days.
Molloys is a couple of hundred yards away probably the best pints around that area.

We should start a list for all counties and threw up the best from each.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 2:27pm
Johnny Morans Westport Guinness is €3.65
Tobys  Westport €3.75
Dew Drop Inn Galway City €4.00

lovely cheap pints in all Thumbs Up 

Edited by irishmufc - 24 Sep 2012 at 2:27pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

The Toucan is a good pint alright, will be rammed on Thursday for Arthur's day. Auld fella behind the bar freaking out cos there's too many impatient people trying to get a pint is funny to watch. If it's raining like it is now, it will be a nightmare to get inside it as it's so small.

The Guinness in the Alex in Clapham isn't actually bad, considering everything else on draught is woeful. Sunday evening in there with a few quiet pints of Guinness is great.

Issac's Well in Clonmellon in Westmeath does a good Guinness but the best pints are those crossroad pubs in the middle of nowhere like the Hurlers Rest in Westmeath or The Bawn Inn about two miles outside Athboy in Meath.

Had a pint of ale in the Alex and it was off. Even the lager tasted pissy. Have to say I like the place though.

Found a decent pint in  the Ramble Inn in Tooting, not amazing, but great by London standards and cheap,  but it is Tooting I guess!!. Good service too, they always drop the pint down
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 7:34am
Favourite pint in Dublin......Grogans (Castle Lounge)....always the First pint (great pub too)
Best in Ireland .....Shoot the Crows Sligo
Best in Watford (limited choice in reality)....  Dunnings Bar, Oddfellows, Dome Bar
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Favourite pint in Dublin......Grogans (Castle Lounge)....always the First pint (great pub too)
Best in Watford (limited choice in reality)....  Dunnings Bar, Oddfellows, Dome Bar

Great shout.....used to love a pint in it during my college days.  Connollys is another place that does a great pint in Sligo.
PaulMcGrath5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:48am

Was gonna post this, best I have ever had. Quality pub too.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Had a pint of ale in the Alex and it was off. Even the lager tasted pissy. Have to say I like the place though.

Found a decent pint in  the Ramble Inn in Tooting, not amazing, but great by London standards and cheap,  but it is Tooting I guess!!. Good service too, they always drop the pint down

Wouldn't drink a pint of lager in the Alex, whatever they do/or don't do to the pipes, every single draught is disgusting. It's a great pub but it's terrible for pints. Pint bottles of Magners is the way ahead if you're in there for a long day or else bottles of sol or vodka and coke if you're just stopping off before heading somewhere else.

The Manor Arms on Manor street, just off Clapham High Street use to be very good for a Guinness too but it changed hands recently and was closed for renovations so haven't been back yet.

Is the Wheatsheaf by Tooting Bec station still open? Looks rough as fook from the outside but it's actually grand inside and the Guinness wasn't bad the one time I was there.

captkeen View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 9:54am
In Bristol,  St Bonaventure Club does a cracking pint. and the Foresters Pub, run by a lad from Donegal, handy for all Irish Sport,
Live Long and Prosper.
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:19pm

Is this the place off Wicklow street? If it is 'twas a lovely pint.
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
PaulMcGrath5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:23pm
Yeah on south william street.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by PaulMcGrath5 PaulMcGrath5 wrote:

I'll be there in just over two weeks !! Thumbs Up

Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:52pm

Better warn them that you lost your wallet on the flight over and not to fall for the old trick of " my son will be here in a couple of mins with money , can I have a couple of pints until he arrives "
I still don't know why half the pubs in Dublin still fall for that one ......
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 1:21pm
kyles in coolock village used to have a rare pint in it.....havent been in there in ages so couldnt tell you what its like now,mention to the ballinter house bar aswell for a decent brew.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

gave up drinking guinness due to the fact it was so different in different pubs, main reason that guinness is bad or less creamy is mostly due to the glass washer in the pub, sparkling clean glasses usually lead to bad pints or pints going flat.

Deise 100% right some detergents fcuk the,stout up the shinier the glass the worse the pint is

Never heard that about the pints. Is that why some oul lads have their own glass
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 5:29pm
Tapped wrote "Harrington's, Leeson St just off Stephen's Green"

Do you mean Hartigans just off the corner with the Green.. laneway down the side. It was one of our spots back in the day. Ran by the old man (Archie) with his missus and their 2 sons used to wok there at the weekends. Ma Harto used to try and stop women coming in .. telling them they shouldn't be drinking  Was a major rugger bar if I remember. The cats watched you having a piss.
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 5:49pm

That's the one, lovely pint.
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic