You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Stadium.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 9:56pm
No problems atmosphere wise at the rugby.

Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Wasn't always the case, may not be relevant this season, but this is Alan Quinlan from all the way back in 2013

To be fair, there does generally seem to be a better atmosphere at rugby games there. I would guess our old friend the barstool culture has a fair bit to do with it though, I would imagine a high proportion of the rugby crowd go to Leinster/Munster/Connacht/Ulster games reasonably regularly, the majority of the fans in the stadium for our games probably don't. 

(No, I haven't conducted a poll on this, but if you think of say 6 of your mates, one of them might be an LOI fan, another might go to England a few times a season to support their team of choice, and that is probably about it). Not talking about the majority on here, who do go tro lives games of some sort, rather the majority of fans in a full aviva for an Ireland football match. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 1:38am

Correct me if I am wrong but you can get gargle at the rugby and its possible to bring it to your seat?

Alcohol = Atmosphere.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 7:29am

Much of the stuff said about the Aviva was said about Lansdowne Road when we moved from Dalymount Park.  We miss the Dalymount Roar etc. 

A winning team makes a huge difference.  The Aviva was rocking for both the France and England rugby Internationals. 
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:17am
Nothing wrong with the stadium, it's the fans that create an atmosphere. Has it been full once for a football match since it was built?

The reason the North Stand is low is because of the residents in Havelock Square. If you lived there you wouldn't want a 100 foot structure towering over your house. The old Lansdowne was more of a mismatch with its mock Tudor cottage in the corner and odd sized terraces.

Misplaced nostalgia.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Would we have been better building a new stadium on the outskirts of the city?
Personally like the way we are in the city 
YEah, in the city is far far better
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It does look half finished though which is a shame.
I think it gives it an identity, very distinguished stadium now rather than the generic bowls of the world.

YEs there is, they have teh exact same problem.
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

A winning team makes a huge difference.  The Aviva was rocking for both the France and England rugby Internationals.
Agree with you about a winning team, but the France game was awful atmosphere, comparable to football friendlies.

Think it boils down to how everything looks better in retrospect. I'm sure there were awful atmosphere games in the old Landsdowne too. 
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 9:51am
Ireland football matches tend to be quite aimed towards families attending as opposed to having a few beers with friends and going to a match.

I have notice a huge difference between Leinster matches and Ireland rugby matches at LR. A Leinster match would be full of families whilst the Ireland games tend to be groups of friends with the odd family thrown in. There is a big difference between the two in terms of atmosphere.

It was highlighted after Scotland match that the attendees were largely groups of males out for a few drinks and a match.

I have always found for football matches at LR that the stewards are more visible and more authoritarian. It leads to quite a restrictive mood around the ground. At rugby games they act mainly as ushers and none of them give a rats that they can see your jacket is at the brim full of cans that you want to drink at the match. There are loads of people drinking cans at Ireland rugby games. If you got caught drinking a can at a football match you would be chucked out straight away.  And there is nobody from UEFA/FIFA scowering the stands to see if Johnny in row 25 is drinking a can. The stewards dont have to enforce it.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 11 Mar 2015 at 9:53am
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 10:04am
And the 'Smoking Stewards' FFS.

When I first saw one I approached and asked hin was he wearing it for a bet or charity or something.

Worse than a Traffic Warden IMO.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 2:37pm

the atmosphere at the rugby is rubbish. sure they play fake drums over the PA to get some atmosphere going. says it all really
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 2:52pm

I was in the west upper for France and west lower for England and thought the atmosphere was superb at both games.  It is different to football in that there isn't much singing however it was gripping stuff. 

Beat Poland and I reckon the Aviva will be rocking.  I don't think it is the stadium or the quality of the football it is a winning team we need.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 5:59pm
Your Mans right I was almost ejected from the stadium during estonia home for refusing to give up a lidless 500ml coke bottle with a dash of vodka in it, over zealous wasn't the road, then followed by the usual jobs worthy I'm only doing my job speel. Pure anti craic
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:39pm
I see the Aviva got no “glamour" pre season games this year. #jdin
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Kev, The pitch has been replaced. I'd love to know how  much funds were given by said organistion towards replacement??  
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Kev, The pitch has been replaced. I'd love to know how  much funds were given by said organistion towards replacement??  

Oh yes that's right.  It was one of MON's requests before he was sacked.  He wanted a giant air hockey surface instead of grass.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 1:59pm
LOL

Eau du Parfum Obsession by TJ

one smell of mon will last the ages
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:09pm
In the singing section and walking up to turnstile Q and R, about to put my arms out to get searched and the guy just waved us on through.
Then going into 114 the stewards didn't even check the tickets. A big difference to the last few years.
Considering the last game there was the tennis ball protest it was if they didn't care what was brought in this time. 
The dark side.. And the light
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

In the singing section and walking up to turnstile Q and R, about to put my arms out to get searched and the guy just waved us on through.
Then going into 114 the stewards didn't even check the tickets. A big difference to the last few years.
Considering the last game there was the tennis ball protest it was if they didn't care what was brought in this time. 

they've been broken LOL
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

they've been broken LOL
Hummm yer man said to me " what's that in your pocket "  said glasses so read . He just nodded and that was that .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic