You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAO YBIG Tradesmen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:58pm
I'm looking at buying a place at the minute and I've had to go back to square one today so I'm kind of curious as to how much that sort of thorough refurb would cost without extending. I figured about 20 to 25k was fair but wasn't sure.

Put a bid of 232 on a place about three weeks ago, asking 249. No movement since. Grand. It needs a bit of work but not much more than a kitchen, double glazing and a lick of paint. Vendor didn't accept it. Then I saw another place, asking 255, put 235 on it. Similar size but no work needed. That bid was rejected. 240. Rejected. 245. Rejected. Apparently there were other potential bidders in the background and the vendor wouldn't go sale agreed for less than asking price. Nonetheless, it seemed I was the only one bidding on it, about a week apart each time.

Grand. Today I get a call back on the first place. First word of a 240 bid put on it from a new bidder (bear in mind this is three weeks after my 232). I think its worth about 15 less than the second place given the work that needs done so I'm like, grand, I'm not sure, I can't commit to bidding on it (obviously); at the time I was thinking the second place is nicer and there is f**k all interest in it, so I should be grand if a bid of 250 is accepted, and even if it isn't, I'll go to 255. Go back to the second place. Sort of had an indication 250 would be accepted. Put on 250 and say I want an answer by Monday, thinking I have both in the air.

This afternoon, two phone calls in the space of about ten minutes. Second place: new bid of 262, way out of my range. F**k that, so I ring the first place back, thinking I can still, possibly, beat the 240 if I go 245. Vendor has already accepted the 240 bid and told the purchaser and won't go back on it, because they don't want to f**k the buyer around, having told them on a Friday evening that they have it.

Honestly, I could f**king cry.

Back to the start and I'm looking at places priced around 220 that need a bit of work and I'm wondering how much they'll cost. Still, it's very tough not to be disheartened after getting slapped like that today.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:06am

Sorry SD, it’s a tough game. Remember though, you don’t need to do everything up all at once. Get a doer upper and do the absolute living essentials for starters. Then you can tip away at various jobs as time goes by
El Puto Amo
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:16am
Ah yeah that’s the plan. It’s just with a two bed and renting a room, I need to do a bit before I get a lodger. 

I got that news on the train back from cork today and the ficking thing had run out of gin. I felt like I was being shat on from a height. I’m not looking pity or anything but it’s f**king grim out there if that’s anything to go by. 

Edited by SuperDave84 - 01 Dec 2018 at 12:18am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:20am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:24am
No rush anyways SD. Prices are easing a little, it looks like we are over the peak already, and who knows what the hell will happen in the next few very uncertain weeks! Don't get too down. Something always eventually comes up and will all work out fine. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:53am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ah yeah that’s the plan. It’s just with a two bed and renting a room, I need to do a bit before I get a lodger. 

I got that news on the train back from cork today and the ficking thing had run out of gin. I felt like I was being shat on from a height. I’m not looking pity or anything but it’s f**king grim out there if that’s anything to go by. 

Two things:
1) we missed out on a gaff in similar circumstances and my Missus was devastated, full sure convinced that we were never gonna get sorted. About two weeks later, we found a far better place out of the blue and went sale agreed rapidly. From the lows to the highs in quick succession and I hope the same happens to you. 

2) I literally got shat on from a height last week. Cycling up the canal at pace on my way to work, what must have been a swan or else a huge bird overhead based on the volume, let loose on me. Caught me Square in the mush. The initial contact point was my right eye brow but it splattered all over my face, chest and cax. Nearly crashed my bike with the impact. It was even on my lip. Absolutely mouldy carry on. 
Anyway, that anecdote is no use to you regarding your house hunt but I thought I would share nonetheless
El Puto Amo
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:00am

Quick question:

2 bed house, d12 area, no upstairs bathroom

How much would it cost to:

install central heating
rewire
replumb
put in double glazing
put in an upstairs bathroom
put in a new kitchen

Would you see much change from 20k? Not thinking of putting on an extension at the minute but want an idea of prices.

You would most definitely be talking about a ‘cash’ job to get it done for that amount.

It’s doable but you need to shop around.

As others have said, you don’t need to do everything at once.
Do the main things that need to be done and the rest can be done but by bit.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 01 Dec 2018 at 8:04am

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:29am
The double glazing and new kitchen will cover at least half the 20k and they’re the more straight forward jobs. 
As MC says missing out isn’t the end of the world, especially when it seems you were never 100% on it anyway. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Quick question:

install central heating
rewire
replumb
put in double glazing
put in a new kitchen

Would you see much change from 20k? Not thinking of putting on an extension at the minute but want an idea of prices.

You would most definitely be talking about a ‘cash’ job to get it done for that amount.

It’s doable but you need to shop around.

As others have said, you don’t need to do everything at once.
Do the main things that need to be done and the rest can be done but by bit.

Be doing very well to get that done for anywhere near €20k. Moved during the year to 3 bed house. New windows, new boiler and couple of new rads when old ones popped during flushing, internal insulation on all external facing walls, new front and back door, new fireplace in and some extra skimming and that came to close to 20k without looking at rewiring or re plumbing or new kitchen / bathroom. Did painting ourselves to try and save a few bob. Taking a break now but still loads to do. Will be doing the rest bit by bit. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 01 Dec 2018 at 11:28am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:18pm

It's a tough process but it will work out for ya and in 5 years time you will look back and say you blessed you missed out on those properties. 

We were similar, bidding on a house that needed about 16k of work just to make it livable (and that was recession prices). Ended up getting outbid. Few weeks later house came up in our own estate (nicer area), bought for a similar price and was liveable immediately. We quickly went sale agreed and I thank my lucky stars very often that it worked out as it did .

You'll potentially live there for a lifetime too so plenty of time to do the gaf up. It's true what they say, you are never finished!

Edited by t_rAndy - 01 Dec 2018 at 12:19pm
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm

Quick question:

install central heating
rewire
replumb
put in double glazing
put in a new kitchen

Central Heating - €6k for 3 bed house but we did have gas connection on site. Would cost a lot more if Bord Gais have to run in supply.
Rewire - rough guide is €100 per socket.
Replumb - N/A if getting central heating, kitchen and bathroom, I would have thought
Double glazing - Can be done for as little as €300 per window.
Upstairs bathroom - the fact that you don't have one to begin with could be troublesome. Depends on how big and if you want bath/shower etc. Roughly €3k but to run in plumbing too???
New kitchen - again depends on the size. If you are just swapping out presses, appliances and tiles from old small kitchen I.e. sink, cooker, washing machine and fridge freezer, about €2,500

I'm not a tradesman but did this a few years ago and going off memory of rough quotes we would have gotten. As someone else said, it is possible, but you'd be paying cash.

Please note, if you have a missus, you can double your budget.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:25pm
I got a new kitchen a while back and it cost just under 6k - excluding appliances and that was from a mate of mine.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Re pricing make sure your comparing apples to apples. 

I always say it's like buying a car. You can get one on done deal for a grand or do you want a Toyota job or BMW job? Do you want the brakelight guarantee or a written x year guarantee? 

Make sure you know what your getting into either way and have a clear and concise plan. Also a 10% contingency is usually a good idea. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Quick question:

install central heating
rewire
replumb
put in double glazing
put in a new kitchen

Central Heating - €6k for 3 bed house but we did have gas connection on site. Would cost a lot more if Bord Gais have to run in supply.
Rewire - rough guide is €100 per socket.
Replumb - N/A if getting central heating, kitchen and bathroom, I would have thought
Double glazing - Can be done for as little as €300 per window.
Upstairs bathroom - the fact that you don't have one to begin with could be troublesome. Depends on how big and if you want bath/shower etc. Roughly €3k but to run in plumbing too???
New kitchen - again depends on the size. If you are just swapping out presses, appliances and tiles from old small kitchen I.e. sink, cooker, washing machine and fridge freezer, about €2,500

I'm not a tradesman but did this a few years ago and going off memory of rough quotes we would have gotten. As someone else said, it is possible, but you'd be paying cash.

Please note, if you have a missus, you can double your budget.

Hah. If I had a missus, I'd be able to afford somewhere that was already livable. It's getting a place on my own that's causing half the trouble.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 4:25pm
I was watching that Homes Under the Hammer or whatever its called the other day. Its presented by Dion Dublin. Anyway this fella buys a semi detached council house in Wales or somewhere for 50,000.  Its tiny and an absolute kip. The celings are falling down, the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms are derelict and n total need of renovation. The windows and doors need repacing. The roof is dody as are the drain pipes. His plan is to renovate the whole place and rent it out. Dion Dublin aska him how much he is going to invest in it to do it up. £8000 was his reply.
Confused

There must have been about 30,000 worth of repairs in it
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I was watching that Homes Under the Hammer or whatever its called the other day. Its presented by Dion Dublin. Anyway this fella buys a semi detached council house in Wales or somewhere for 50,000.  Its tiny and an absolute kip. The celings are falling down, the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms are derelict and n total need of renovation. The windows and doors need repacing. The roof is dody as are the drain pipes. His plan is to renovate the whole place and rent it out. Dion Dublin aska him how much he is going to invest in it to do it up. £8000 was his reply.
Confused

There must have been about 30,000 worth of repairs in it
I doubt he will even spend that much. Do it up for as cheap as possible, rent it out and make huge profits. It's a wonderful system.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 4:52pm
I am always surprised watchong these shows. They interview some lad who has juat bought a gaff fpr 100,00 and will do it up and sell ot on or rent it out and it turns out he is a humble carpenter or electrician and he has 4 properties that he has  rents out and you thonk "where ia he getting the monwy from?"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 4:53pm
Cant type on these smartphones btw. My fat fingersCry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 23>
  Share Topic