You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAO YBIG Tradesmen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Not a green mortgage as such , just taking some measures to make the house warmer. Having foam sprayed in the roof space too. 

Ultimately everyone will have the wrap round done under some government retro fit scheme, just trying some cheaper fixes myself. 

Foam is a short term fix. any sort of moisture whatsoever and it will begin to decay over time. Did they install a breather membrane before they put in the foam? what sort of Warranty did they give you?

Best way of doing it is rigid insulation  and the prefered product would be Xtratherm Insulation. With cavities the best way now is to fill them with beads.  

for anyone that's doing a total revamp of a home to get the energy rating up you should consider the following:
air 2 water heating unit. 
PV Panels working in conjunction with the Air2Water unit
Heat recovery unit
Filling the cavity with beads
Rigid insulation in all areas of the roof
Insulated plasterboard on walls
Future Proof PVC double glazed windows  or Triple glazed windows that will get you a U-Value[0.7W/m²K]

Even on the rare occasion that you seem to know what youre on about, you still come across as a ****LOL
You shouldn't knock a man for the one thing he is good at and, no matter what else I may say about him, he is excellent at being a ****.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:05am
LOL
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:39am
Looking at painting the house. Late in the year for it I know but if the weather stays fine I'll chance it

Built a few years but first time for a painting. Was told to put a sealant on it first but went into the hardware store at the weekend and was told not to. They said to just water down the first coat and that'll act as the sealant and apply the second coat as normal??
Some people just deserve a slap
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
Pay an expert to do it. It will save you, trust me!

Edited by McG - 17 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Pay an expert to do it. It will save you, trust me!

This. I've never painted the outside of the house but if it's even half as bad as painting the indoors then get someone else to do it.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:32am
Priced it off one local lad, wanted a small fortune so that's why looking at doing it myself. Have the brothers and father there to give a hand over the next while. Be a lot of work and hassle I know but don't have the kind of money he was quoting

Might stick it up on Tradesmen.ie and see if can get a few other quotes that way
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:13am
How much did he quote?

A few prices were knocking around this thread.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:25am
€2k, thought it was steep? Around 2000 sq ft
Will send it through on Tradesmen just to get a few other prices and can see then what to do

Edited by Croftman - 17 Sep 2020 at 11:26am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
BSM would know. 

If i mention his name three times in a row he will appear BSM BSM BSM
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Will send it through on Tradesmen just to get a few other prices and can see then what to do

I paid my Moldovan neighbours to put 2 coats of paint on the front and side of our house for 300e I think it was.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:17pm
If it’s the first coat ya need a stabilizing primer before using Weathershield or the equivalent 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:40pm
Don’t use tradesman.ie whatever you do. 

Get someone recommended to you.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:40pm
Just bang on 3 coats job done .

I would say around €1700 would be the going rate now you can get cheaper depends where you live .

At a guess i think around 40 litres would do one coat you need to do two at the least as you have left it late .

I cost me €230 ( 55 Lt ) for white weathershield and did it myself in a 8 days during the lock down .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 12:16am

Hiya that's my trade. V hard to give a fair quote without seeing type of house, eaves, chimneys, cills, condition, access etc etc

Presuming it's just smooth plaster, and this is its first time getting painted. If so, a gentle powerwash, and let it dry out. No need for stabilizer or a sealant on new plaster. In fact don't do this as it will need to breath. I usually add 10/15% to first coat, as you want a thin coat on first to penetrate the substrate. If it goes on to heavy, this can lead to peeling down the line. Depending on colour and product another coat may do, but 3rd isn't uncommon.

If cills are smooth concrete these will need stabilising solution. That'll grip to the smooth surface and then work away with finish coats after. Often you'll see capping on top of a wall flake, while the wall is grand. That's the reason.

I love Fleetwood Weatherclad but Weathershield and sandtex are excellent too, and no qualms using either. Retails for about 55e per 10l bucket.

As mentioned above, go with recommendation from friend/colleague/family. There's an old saying, nothing more expensive than a cheap paint job. 

Good luck

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Hiya that's my trade. V hard to give a fair quote without seeing type of house, eaves, chimneys, cills, condition, access etc etc

Presuming it's just smooth plaster, and this is its first time getting painted. If so, a gentle powerwash, and let it dry out. No need for stabilizer or a sealant on new plaster. In fact don't do this as it will need to breath. I usually add 10/15% to first coat, as you want a thin coat on first to penetrate the substrate. If it goes on to heavy, this can lead to peeling down the line. Depending on colour and product another coat may do, but 3rd isn't uncommon.

If cills are smooth concrete these will need stabilising solution. That'll grip to the smooth surface and then work away with finish coats after. Often you'll see capping on top of a wall flake, while the wall is grand. That's the reason.

I love Fleetwood Weatherclad but Weathershield and sandtex are excellent too, and no qualms using either. Retails for about 55e per 10l bucket.

As mentioned above, go with recommendation from friend/colleague/family. There's an old saying, nothing more expensive than a cheap paint job. 

Good luck

Cheers for that Thumbs Up

Yeah it's smooth exterior and I gave it a good power wash 2 weeks ago so well dry now. Cills are granite so they wont be touched. Access etc is grand, detached house in the country so no issues there. I'll get cracking on a few recommendations over the weekend and see how it goes
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:38am
No need for sealer. First coat will soak right in so I’d add a little water to it. Will go on easier for you. 2 coats should do the trick. I’d use Dulux Weathershield. Cover up them cills!
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:34pm
Any washing machine repair men about? Washing machine had a smoke and smell of burning rubber when I opened it when last used. Turning the drum now is now squeaky with quite a bit of friction. The belt at the back of it still seems fine and taught. Thinking it may be a bearing. Anyone have any experience of this before? Worth the money trying to repair or best going for a new one? Machine came with house and is only about 5 years old used twice a week
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:48pm
I dont know how a lot of these painters come upnwith some of these outlandish quotes. Not sure how they can justify the mad prices. Its not that skilled a profession. Myself and the bro painted my house over the weekend. Hired a sprayer and did some with brushes also as its dashed which makes it doubly hard. Great job. Actually better than any 'professional' painter as we took more care as its mine!!! Do it yourself if you can i say. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>
  Share Topic