You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAO YBIG Tradesmen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 23>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:42pm
https://youtu.be/phFW-IIsH54

Edited by greenlad - 20 Mar 2020 at 9:45pm
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm
Have a look at that link daithi
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:40pm
Fair play GL thanks for that Thumbs Up
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Do it yourself, the thermostat will come off with vice grips or something similar, the pipe isn't open under that. It's just screwed on. You'll see a pin sticking up that's probably just stuck so when you're turning the thermostat it doesn't move the pin if you know what I mean.
Have a look on YouTube that's how I found out, it's simple enough to do tbh

youtube Clap

had the same problem with one of the rads in the spare bedroom. Was gonna call a plumber then tried youtube and sorted. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Howd you get on with the rad daithi? 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Howd you get on with the rad daithi? 
Took the thermostats off the rads the pins were fine, think it could be a pump issue all rads downstairs are only putting out half what they should be now and boiler not heating the water properly, mind you rads upstairs are all grand, the boiler is upstairs too.
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 11:56pm
knock off all the ones upstairs and see how you get on..may need to balance the system 
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:10pm
The water pump in my apartment keeps (well, used to keep) cycling on and off again. The plumber who I had out last year said there seemed to be a small leak in the boiler (two pressure gauges showing different pressure seemed to be a giveaway, apparently) but I never actually got it sorted (like a dope).

Today, the pump has blown the trip and seems to have stopped working completely now - at least, the trip was blown, and when it was turned back on, the pump is doing nothing and the hot taps aren't working at all. I'm not there but so my flatmate tells me anyway.

I assume I need the pump replaced but in terms of the cycling thing, I assume I need to get someone to look at the whole system and see what the deal is: there's no point in me getting a new pump and installing it, if it is going to cycle on and off again and wear the pump out, without sorting out the underlying issue. I assume the cycling on and off is a system issue and not just a pump issue. It's a standard Stuart Turner pump.

Question is, can anyone recommend a decent, not extortionate plumber who would take a look at it. It's Dublin 12 and there seem to be plenty advertising online but I'm not actually sure who is decent or cheap. I got ripped off last year, I know that much, when the repair of the pump and installation of a pressure vessel cost about €400.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The water pump in my apartment keeps (well, used to keep) cycling on and off again. The plumber who I had out last year said there seemed to be a small leak in the boiler (two pressure gauges showing different pressure seemed to be a giveaway, apparently) but I never actually got it sorted (like a dope).

Today, the pump has blown the trip and seems to have stopped working completely now - at least, the trip was blown, and when it was turned back on, the pump is doing nothing and the hot taps aren't working at all. I'm not there but so my flatmate tells me anyway.

I assume I need the pump replaced but in terms of the cycling thing, I assume I need to get someone to look at the whole system and see what the deal is: there's no point in me getting a new pump and installing it, if it is going to cycle on and off again and wear the pump out, without sorting out the underlying issue. I assume the cycling on and off is a system issue and not just a pump issue. It's a standard Stuart Turner pump.

Question is, can anyone recommend a decent, not extortionate plumber who would take a look at it. It's Dublin 12 and there seem to be plenty advertising online but I'm not actually sure who is decent or cheap. I got ripped off last year, I know that much, when the repair of the pump and installation of a pressure vessel cost about €400.

Did you try tradesmen.ie Dave? You can put in your budget and then tradespeople make contact. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:41pm
To say I had a bad experience on that site is an understatement

I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as a good plumber.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's probably better off just moving altogether.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:48pm

What happened LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:54pm

Our shower is acting the bollox for a while now. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the water pressure but I know F all about such matters.

When I turn the shower on, it intermittently shoots out water for about 2 secs and then goes off for the same amount of time. So I'm getting sporadic jets of water. Also the pump sounds like it is being worked hard. 
If I turn the heat up high, its more likely to be a much more consistent uninterrupted water flow but on the downside, I'm getting scalded and I'm gonna end up with third degree burns. 
If I set the cold to cold nothing, or very little, comes out the showerhead. 
Finally if I unscrew the shower head altogether, it eases the problem and I'm more likely to get a decent flow of water but a very unsatisfactory experience. 

If anyone wants to pop around to shower with me to get a firsthand view of the issue, please PM a few pics. 

Otherwise, any ideas?

El Puto Amo
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Our shower is acting the bollox for a while now. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the water pressure but I know F all about such matters.

When I turn the shower on, it intermittently shoots out water for about 2 secs and then goes off for the same amount of time. So I'm getting sporadic jets of water. Also the pump sounds like it is being worked hard. 
If I turn the heat up high, its more likely to be a much more consistent uninterrupted water flow but on the downside, I'm getting scalded and I'm gonna end up with third degree burns. 
If I set the cold to cold nothing, or very little, comes out the showerhead. 
Finally if I unscrew the shower head altogether, it eases the problem and I'm more likely to get a decent flow of water but a very unsatisfactory experience. 

If anyone wants to pop around to shower with me to get a firsthand view of the issue, please PM a few pics. 

Otherwise, any ideas?

I often have to clean my shower head because of hard water build up that stops the flow from the shower. If ignored you have f all flow and can be scalded as the pressure builds up and water cant escape. 

Common issue in hard water areas. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:04pm

Cheers for that McG. If that works, I'll also bestow you with the honor of finding a solution to the drain issues in my office.
El Puto Amo
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Cheers for that McG. If that works, I'll also bestow you with the honor of finding a solution to the drain issues in my office.

Take the head off and fill it with water and shake like f**k and see if silt comes out. Then to further alleviate the problem, soak the head in a sink full of water and lemon juice as that further breaks down the silt. If you're then really in the mood for some mind numbingly boring mundanity, stick a pin in each holes in the nozzle and clear it. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:24pm

Thumbs Up nice one
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What happened LOL

Got a plumber to fix a water pump for main and onsuite, tile the bathroom and install a low shower tray.

Plumber said he can get his mate to do the tiling and they would do the full job start to finish - sweet.

Plumber said too much hassle and unable to install the low profile shower tray - so my Da builds a base to sit it on - (in hindsight, this
is a very doable task, this muppet was too lasy to install it).

Day 1 - Plumber installs the pump and tiler starts tiling the onsuite bathroom.

The tiler or plumber don't show up the for the next 3 days. On the 4th day, the plumber shows up and says wife in a car crash etc...no idea where the tiler is.

Plumber finishes his job and offers to complete the tiling, he then realises the tiles don't match up and says, you need to
tear down all the tiles and start again - I look at what happened and said not a big deal just finish it, and this is why the tiler abandoned ship.

In the meantime, I realise one bathroom uses the water pump - I tell him to both need to be on the pump.
He asks for money for the parts and I say no - he leaves and never returns. He worked for 2 weeks, bought all the parts out of his own pocket and got paid zero.

I get another guy into do the job - he breaks his leg and is out of action.

I get another tiler in to finish the bathroom - he starts the job and rings me when I am in the zoo for my kids birthday, I have to leave, get more tiles, drop them home and go back to the zoo!
he finsihes the bathroom but doesn't fit the shower tray correctly so that the water goes down the wall and into the tray,
the tray is too far left so the water goes off the wall onto the floor! - he doesn't seem to understand the concept of what the shower tray is used for nor does he speak English.

Myself and my Da - pull all the tiles off that side of the wall - and tile it correctly adding a little bit more grout on each tile so that tiles end up IN the shower tray.

I get another plumber into to install a heated radiator - he arrives in 5 hours late after being on the bag the whole night and makes a dogs dinner of a simple job.

Absolute shambles from start to finish.

I contacted tradesmen about this and they just said they can get the gusy out to complete the job- that is all they can do from what I recall.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 23>
  Share Topic