You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxi Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:30pm
Can't say I'm a fan of the taxi drivers of Dublin but when the price of public transport is increasing then yo can't complain when the private sector increases .
Also you have to take into account the increase in insurance and the regulation increase .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:31pm
Uber is the way forward and hopefully Ireland will take to it. There are a number of reasons that both the driver and the passenger benefit within the Uber system, not least that there is a record of the user and the provider.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Very rarely get taxis - only as a last resort. Will usually get a nitelink home from town if I'm on my own.

Absolute robbing coonts
what bugs the fook out of me is the fact there is no competition among firms by some charging below the regulated Maximum fare. So the market is a cartel

Not true, but discounts are for bulk users, like most other services.

There is huge competition for all the major contracts like the health boards etc.

For one of customers its no different than walking into a financial institution, you pay top dollar.

When i was involved in the industry some major accounts were getting discounts off up to 30% off the set rates.

I know nothing :-)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:57pm
I live in Newcastle. If I get a taxi home from the City Centre, it's over €40. They're an absolute rip off. It puts me off going out in town. Nitelink service is sh*te now also. Was great until about 5 years ago.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm
Don't do Taxis anymore as a rule , they can all suck eggs for all I care .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:00pm
Got a taxi from Rathfarnham and was asking to go to the Naas road. The where? He didn't know where the Naas road or red cow was. The Red Cow, the roundabout? It hasn't been a roundabout in about 10 years.
At least London has the knowledge and they know where to go.
The dark side.. And the light
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:01pm
Serious amount of Racism in the Industry too the O'Connell Street rank in particular you would very rarely ever see non white drivers not just a coincidence. Some of these lads before deregulation earned as much as Junior Doctors and became bitter when the industry got bigger some developed a severe chip on their shoulder.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:12pm
Dublin airport was notoriously ran by a Finglas crime family & if they didn't want you there then they made it difficult for you . Also before new measures were brought in most taxis wouldn't drive youbthe short distance to swords
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:13pm
'Sorry not going that way bud'
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:24pm
They've a few signs around town now trying to ban rickshaws - presume that's about them muscling in on their territory too yeah?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Serious amount of Racism in the Industry too the O'Connell Street rank in particular you would very rarely ever see non white drivers not just a coincidence. Some of these lads before deregulation earned as much as Junior Doctors and became bitter when the industry got bigger some developed a severe chip on their shoulder.

I think you will be surprised how little junior doctors earn, these lads earned at least double this!

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

They've a few signs around town now trying to ban rickshaws - presume that's about them muscling in on their territory too yeah?

Hope they do . Some of them are balls of sh*te and very poorly lit up .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
I've noticed that the number of drivers who will bore the life out of you complaining about the post 1998 taxi market has diminished greatly. Many drivers I've been with are currently happy that it occurred in that it allowed them access to an industry which was previously a complete cartel. It previously was an relatively unskilled job, with utter flexibility, which turned an immense profit, but that was due to incredibly restrictive market practices, which were the product of the lobby. The Government always deserves great credit for standing up to them.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Got a taxi from Rathfarnham and was asking to go to the Naas road. The where? He didn't know where the Naas road or red cow was. The Red Cow, the roundabout? It hasn't been a roundabout in about 10 years.

Years ago I was going to a Dublin v Mayo league game in Parnell Park. I got a taxi on O'Connell Street and asked for Parnell Park. He had to ask me where that was. I told him Donneycarney and he tells me there is no stadium on Donneycarney. What sort of Dublin taxi man has never heard of Parnell Park and doesn't know where it is
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Years ago I was going to a Dublin v Mayo league game in Parnell Park. I got a taxi on O'Connell Street and asked for Parnell Park. He had to ask me where that was. I told him Donneycarney and he tells me there is no stadium on Donneycarney. What sort of Dublin taxi man has never heard of Parnell Park and doesn't know where it is

I had something similar happen to me at the All Ireland Final last year - The Mayo woman who was sat beside me in the upper Cusack was asking me which stand was the Hogan stand !
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Also before new measures were brought in most taxis wouldn't drive youbthe short distance to swords

Remember telling the taxi driver after getting in from a stag that i was going to the Carlton Hotel. He wasn't impressed at my piss taking.

Bombed it down the N32 trying to make it back in the 20 min window. Every time i told him "right here, left here..." he was tutting away. Purposely delayed him and sent him the long way out of the estate. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Also before new measures were brought in most taxis wouldn't drive youbthe short distance to swords

I live in Coolock Village and they can get a bit narky as it's just far enough away that they can't take advantage of the 20 minute rule. I just explain that their next fare is not my concern. Simple as that.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:17pm
All they do is moan about MyTaxi now
It's the f**king easiest job in the World to drive people from A to B and get paid for it, especially with GPS now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic