Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Owen Garvan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Owen Garvan
    Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:33pm
I'm sure there is a thread elsewhere on him. Scored two today, will he finally fulfill his potential?
Sponsored Links

rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

I'm sure there is a thread elsewhere on him. Scored two today, will he finally fulfill his potential?
Will he finally fulfill his potential?

No.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

No.

You ever even seen him play?
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

No.

A few times....but I do know he is now in his mid 20s and been around a long time and he is a good or bad as he is going to get....there's a reason he is where he is....so no he is not about to turn into Roy.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 4:44pm

No.

A few times....but I do know he is now in his mid 20s and been around a long time and he is a good or bad as he is going to get....there's a reason he is where he is....so no he is not about to turn into Roy.

He's only 24, made his debut at 16 so seems like he'd be older. Been unlucky with injuries the last few years, not been able to get a consistent run in the team. Wouldn't have to turn into a once in a generation type player like Roy to be ac asset for us. Look how old Walters was when he got his break in the Premier.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 4:55pm

No.

He's only 24, made his debut at 16 so seems like he'd be older. Been unlucky with injuries the last few years, not been able to get a consistent run in the team. Wouldn't have to turn into a once in a generation type player like Roy to be ac asset for us. Look how old Walters was when he got his break in the Premier.

Yeah.....fair point....if he can stay free of injury might do something.....more hope for the like of McCann however.
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:34pm
i havent seen enough of him, but isn't he a lot like Gibson?
has a dangerous shot, can spray the ball around, but doesn't have the legs to get around the pitch very well?

would love to see him turn out though. 
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 6:02pm

No.

Yeah.....fair point....if he can stay free of injury might do something.....more hope for the like of McCann however.
McCann is older than Garvan!
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:51am
Mccann and Garvan are of similar age and have a similar history of injuries too!! 
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:01am
Owen has been wicked unlucky with injuries ever since his career began, really tidy footballer on his day and I'd love to see more of him but it's looking doubtful we'll ever see him playing for a top 6 or 8 side in the Premiership. Believe me when he first broke onto the scene he was tipped to make the grade at the highest level, he was going out with a girl I was in college with and having met him a couple of times I always kept an eye out for him. Saw him play U-21 for Ireland plenty times and he always stood out, really nice chap and fingers crossed if he can stay injury free he might make the step up to the Premiership in the next couple of seasons. A team like Stoke or Villa would be good for him. He made the senior squad on a good few occasions I think did he?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:40am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Owen has been wicked unlucky with injuries ever since his career began, really tidy footballer on his day and I'd love to see more of him but it's looking doubtful we'll ever see him playing for a top 6 or 8 side in the Premiership. Believe me when he first broke onto the scene he was tipped to make the grade at the highest level, he was going out with a girl I was in college with and having met him a couple of times I always kept an eye out for him. Saw him play U-21 for Ireland plenty times and he always stood out, really nice chap and fingers crossed if he can stay injury free he might make the step up to the Premiership in the next couple of seasons. A team like Stoke or Villa would be good for him. He made the senior squad on a good few occasions I think did he?

He made the initial training camp and the early squads for the practice game v Forest and the game in London v Columbia. I think his best chance of playing in the premier is via a promotion, there's lads from Reading and Southampton playing yesterday who wouldn't have his natural ability. Fingers crossed for him, he's a good lad and a very useful player on his day. Wouldn't say he's Trap's kind of player though but there may bs a place for him in future. Like I said earlier, he's still only 24, am sure the poster writing him off has been clamouring for a lad who made his premier league debut at 29 to he called up on other threads......

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 19 Aug 2012 at 8:41am
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:52am
Would like to see Garvan do well, he needs an injury free season and a good run of games, as has been said he is still only 24, loads of time to break into the Ireland set up, big season for the lad, let's hope he gets no injuries and see how he goes.

Edited by Sono - 19 Aug 2012 at 8:52am
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 11:57am
Was very popular at Ipswich and played a lot of games for them, however dont think Roy Keane fancied him. Think he is record appearance holder for the u/21 side. This could well be his time. Came through the schoolboy ranks at Home Farm. 
alive and kicking
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Was very popular at Ipswich and played a lot of games for them, however dont think Roy Keane fancied him. Think he is record appearance holder for the u/21 side. This could well be his time. Came through the schoolboy ranks at Home Farm. 

Ironically when Owen was interviewed for Four Four Two's 'The Boy's a bit Special' feature years back he listed Keane as his idol despite the fact he's a Liverpool fan.  Didn't work out at all for him when RK was in charge at Ipswich. The fact that he's from Dublin didn't do him any favours on that front to be honest in my opinion!
Drummerboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drummerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:11pm
Garvan played on the  same Home Farm team as McCann as far as I can remember. Think Darren O'Dea and Shane Supple also played for that team. He may have been a year younger than the rest though.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

Garvan played on the same Home Farm team as McCann as far as I can remember. Think Darren O'Dea and Shane Supple also played for that team. He may have been a year younger than the rest though.

He did, yeah. Think 7 of that first 11 ended up playing pro at some stage.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:14pm
His brother is a regular poster on the forum. He (not Owen) get's stick for been fond of eating
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:23pm
Great start to the season for him alright, shame they conceded an injury time winner though.....still young enough to make a mark if he can avoid those infernal injuries.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic