You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Masterson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm
Overrated, I fear. I suspect because he was once on Liverpool books and because he has a reputation as a ball-playing central defender.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Overrated, I fear. I suspect because he was once on Liverpool books and because he has a reputation as a ball-playing central defender.

Overrated by who? 

I've never heard anyone say he was a great player, just that he's done well and made good progress this season.

I imagine he was picked up by Liverpool for his ability on the ball but from what I've seen of him he needs to work on three areas of his game 

Concentration (he can ball watch sometimes)
Strength (he's a slight lad and needs to put on some muscle)
Marking (most specifically on set pieces)

All these things come with experience so I see next season as a big one for him.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
There appears to be an undue, undeserved fixation on the lad.

I wish him well, but he has lot to prove.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:35pm

Sounds more like you've something against him rather than anyone else overrating him.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Sounds more like you've something against him rather than anyone else overrating him.

Not really. Why would I?

Leistner moved to Cologne, Hall left - QPR are defensively down to the 'bare bones' as 'Arry would say. Yet Masterson is still unsure of his place in the Rangers side.

Personal opinion, but I feel he has much to prove. He's still young, however, and I hope he goes on to have a long and illustrious  career.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm

Not really. Why would I?

Leistner moved to Cologne, Hall left - QPR are defensively down to the 'bare bones' as 'Arry would say. Yet Masterson is still unsure of his place in the Rangers side.

Personal opinion, but I feel he has much to prove. He's still young, however, and I hope he goes on to have a long and illustrious  career.

Nobody has said he doesn't have a lot to prove, but all you have to do is watch the guy to see there's a touch of class to him. Warburton, I feel, is reluctant to play him due to his well publicised "you'll never win anything with kids" attitude. He also took umbridge earlier in the season when fans were calling for Masterson to be given a shot; much like MON I'd imagine there's a pettiness to him that hates "giving in" to perceived fan pressure.
We're decent enough..
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:19pm
Would Masterson not make a good holding midfielder?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:31pm

Not really. Why would I?

Nobody has said he doesn't have a lot to prove, but all you have to do is watch the guy to see there's a touch of class to him. Warburton, I feel, is reluctant to play him due to his well publicised "you'll never win anything with kids" attitude. He also took umbridge earlier in the season when fans were calling for Masterson to be given a shot; much like MON I'd imagine there's a pettiness to him that hates "giving in" to perceived fan pressure.

Warburton has given Shodipo a fair crack of the whip recently and made Manning a regular this season where McClaren was reticent , as well as obviously giving Masterson a chance. So he's obviously not all that as averse to given youth its head as you suggest.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
Manning is 24 and has 4 full seasons under his belt. Shodipo has only played 276 minutes tis season, which is only a third of what Masterson has, so I'm not sure how he would support your point?

Warburton has literally come out and said he doesn't agree with starting too many young players, those are his words.
We're decent enough..
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:43pm
as a Qpr fan that post is absolute rubbish and there have never been so many young players in the squad. Masterson wasnt even making the bench when we had a full squad and Cameron 
A midfielder filled in at cb before him.

Next year is make or break for him.

Edited by gufct - 20 Jul 2020 at 9:44pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:45pm
It has been confirmed that he will be offered a new contract.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:33pm
QPR looking to send Masterson out on loan in January. Hes getting game time at qpr this season and I think he's first replacement if one of the starting centre backs is out so its an interesting approach.

Manager wants him to play regularly to improve, I feel masterson is technically good on the ball and reads the game well, where I think he needs to improve is his aggression and strength. He needs to win those 50/50s.

A few months in league one would be really good for him.

Edited by Left foot - 24 Nov 2020 at 12:34pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:04pm
I spoke to his uncle last week and Masterson doesn't get on with the current manager, he will be moving on.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:07pm
the manager has been very hard on him and other young player, reluctant to give them a chance and happy to put the blame on them if they do play
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

QPR looking to send Masterson out on loan in January. Hes getting game time at qpr this season and I think he's first replacement if one of the starting centre backs is out so its an interesting approach.

Manager wants him to play regularly to improve, I feel masterson is technically good on the ball and reads the game well, where I think he needs to improve is his aggression and strength. He needs to win those 50/50s.

A few months in league one would be really good for him.

I think that’s all correct. He has all the attributes of a good centre half except aggression. His concentration and movement in dealing with quicker players needs to improve . In saying that he did ok against Watford last weekend who had Deeney on for the 2nd half. I only saw a few highlights so I may be wrong  
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I spoke to his uncle last week and Masterson doesn't get on with the current manager, he will be moving on.

Is this true? Thought he was getting better over time and after each game.

No guarantee that he'd get on with the next manager, better to fight for his place, he's made his first senior cap at qpr and he's made a few mistakes but is still in contention.

Feel he could be a good player 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:39pm
Any idea where he moves on to? Would like to see him stay in the Championship. 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Any idea where he moves on to? Would like to see him stay in the Championship. 

A continental league would suit him. Holland may be. I wish more of our players considered German clubs as an option. The style in the 2 Bundesliga or 1 Bundesliga is the most similar to England. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
  Share Topic