You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Masterson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:17am
Not really. All 100 or whatever games of McKenna has told us is that he is no good. Only a very small number of those at a decent standard and he has looked consistently out of his depth. I have seen a lot of McKenna and have yet to see him play as well against as decent an opposition as Masterson did yesterday. A long way to go but there's lots of hope for Masterson at this point, little or none for McKenna despite Aberdeen trying to hype him up so that they might cash in by selling him to some desperate cash rich Championship team. 
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:06pm
you would have to be delighted for Masterson couldn’t get a look in at Liverpool which is understandable.

Then struggled to get in at QPR and Warburton said only 2 weeks ago he would be better off going out on loan getting games rather than sitting on the bench getting 5 minutes here and there.

Has taken his chance fair play to him 
CathalAD View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CathalAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

masterson grabbed his chance with both hands. Could save Qpr €5m as their trying to sign McKenna from Aberdeen. Great team performance from Qpr today.

5 million for McKenna?! He's a terrible player, looks good in the sh*tefest that is the SPFL but has been dreadful almost every game for Scotland. Masterson already well ahead of him if today's performance is anything to go by. I was worried about his prospects when he wasn't getting any game time despite QPR's problems in his position but his outlook is very different now. 

So a player with 2 professional appearances in his career is now "well ahead" of a player who had well over 100 club appearances and 10+ international caps to his name.

Whether you rate Scott McKenna or not, that's a ludicrous statement to make.

It's not as if Masterson is the second coming of Nesta or Maldini where it was just a matter of time before he got his debut at club level or whatever that we can now start over hyping a kid with 2 games under his belt in professional football.

The two games Masterson has played are at a higher level than any of the matches McKenna has played. Looking good in the SPL isnt that impressive.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm
you have to take your chance when you get it and Conor has done that but he’s a long way to go .

One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by CathalAD CathalAD wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

masterson grabbed his chance with both hands. Could save Qpr €5m as their trying to sign McKenna from Aberdeen. Great team performance from Qpr today.

5 million for McKenna?! He's a terrible player, looks good in the sh*tefest that is the SPFL but has been dreadful almost every game for Scotland. Masterson already well ahead of him if today's performance is anything to go by. I was worried about his prospects when he wasn't getting any game time despite QPR's problems in his position but his outlook is very different now. 

So a player with 2 professional appearances in his career is now "well ahead" of a player who had well over 100 club appearances and 10+ international caps to his name.

Whether you rate Scott McKenna or not, that's a ludicrous statement to make.

It's not as if Masterson is the second coming of Nesta or Maldini where it was just a matter of time before he got his debut at club level or whatever that we can now start over hyping a kid with 2 games under his belt in professional football.

The two games Masterson has played are at a higher level than any of the matches McKenna has played. Looking good in the SPL isnt that impressive.

Fairly idiotic statement to make.

How in God's name is international football not of a higher standard than The Championship in your eyes.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 1:55pm
Why cant we just say - I disagree, i feel that international football is a higher standard and McKenna has 10+ caps.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:36pm
McKenna's been desperate at international level though, I mean genuinely awful. The only level he has looked any good at is the SPL which is somewhere between league 1 and league 2 in terms of standard, so well below the level Masterson is currently playing at. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:00pm

McKenna's been desperate at international level though, I mean genuinely awful. The only level he has looked any good at is the SPL which is somewhere between league 1 and league 2 in terms of standard, so well below the level Masterson is currently playing at. 

It's irrelevant how he performs/performed when playing for Scotland because International football is a higher standard than The Championship so again you're way off?

Aberdeen who face Celtic and Rangers regularly as of now are also operating at a higher level than Leeds & Swansea (sub appearance against Brentford).

It's like you saying ah sure Johnny played senior inter country for Leitrim but the chap who plays minor for Dublin has played at a higher level than him, when he hasn't. 

Irish fans have a major habit of over rating and bigging up young prospects after no more than playing a handful of professional games, come April or May after he has 20 odd appearances under his belt is the time to be judging these players.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:01pm
Great to see Conor getting a bit of game time and doing well for QPR lately, I feared that he would drop like a stone through the divisions once leaving Liverpool and especially having not got much of a look in at QPR the first half of the season. He is a different type of centre half than we usually produce, if he can get regular game time in the Championship over the next year or two it would really harden him up.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
So basically you're argument is that if some lad has played for Gibraltar against Lithuania that puts him ahead of a Championship player regardless of how well or badly he played because international football is a higher standard than the Championship. LOL

Utter nonsense. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
But he's not playing for Gibraltar, he plays for Scotland but yeah way to let a post go way over your head.

He has played alongside Brown, Tierney, Robertson, Snodgrass, McTominay, McArthur etc but yeah lets throw out some random example by hypothetically talking about a lad who plays for Gibraltar,  who would be at most a semi professional footballer and compare him to an international footballer for a nation of a similar level to Ireland.

Playing for Scotland is a level above playing for QPR, how do you not grasp that?

Yet you have the nerve to throw out the utter nonsense line LOL

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm

Bibi Baskin View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibi Baskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:16am
From the site Loft for Words

QPR Star Man – Conor Masterson 8 A mature performance from the youngster who capped his display by staying to clap all sides of the ground and even joining in a ‘You R’ss!’, which of course went down a treat for the many home fans still in attendance. If and it’s a big if, he can stay fit and maintain these performances then we may well have a big asset on our hands. He will face tougher battles than that of Patrick Bamford and as he grows will fill out his frame. But at just 21, to play like that in the Championship live on Sky against one of the best teams in the league, well done young man.

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

QPR Star Man – Conor Masterson 8 A mature performance from the youngster who capped his display by staying to clap all sides of the ground and even joining in a ‘You R’ss!’, which of course went down a treat for the many home fans still in attendance. If and it’s a big if, he can stay fit and maintain these performances then we may well have a big asset on our hands. He will face tougher battles than that of Patrick Bamford and as he grows will fill out his frame. But at just 21, to play like that in the Championship live on Sky against one of the best teams in the league, well done young man.

Has Bamford's stock fallen that much? 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Has Bamford's stock fallen that much? 

Bamford is the reason Leeds have dropped points in games, his work rate is good, but his finishing and decision making in front of goal is woeful, as a Leeds fan, I can't wait to see the back of him
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:47am

But he's not playing for Gibraltar, he plays for Scotland but yeah way to let a post go way over your head.

He has played alongside Brown, Tierney, Robertson, Snodgrass, McTominay, McArthur etc but yeah lets throw out some random example by hypothetically talking about a lad who plays for Gibraltar,  who would be at most a semi professional footballer and compare him to an international footballer for a nation of a similar level to Ireland.

Playing for Scotland is a level above playing for QPR, how do you not grasp that?

So now you've changed your position from 'International football is a higher standard than the Championship' to 'international football for Scotland is a higher standard than the championship', so at least you've made that concession I suppose. The problem still is though, that you've still made a sweeping statement that takes no account of McKenna's performances. Based on your latest position any player who plays international football for Scotland is better than a championship player just because they're getting a game for Scotland. Presumably including no markers that they've capped from the SPL and the Scottish Championship. Which, particularly given that Scotland remain a terrible international team that haven't qualified for anything for 20 years, is once again utter nonsense.

McKenna has consistently been a bombscare in the middle of a terrible defence that have been repeatedly taken apart by a variety of teams, including the mighty Kazakhstan, in the last two years. Sorry, but to suggest that he of all people is somehow a benchmark that a QPR or other Championship player sits a level below is, again, pure nonsense. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:07am
McKenna is a donkey, he is absolutely brutal.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:45am

So now you've changed your position from 'International football is a higher standard than the Championship' to 'international football for Scotland is a higher standard than the championship', so at least you've made that concession I suppose. The problem still is though, that you've still made a sweeping statement that takes no account of McKenna's performances. Based on your latest position any player who plays international football for Scotland is better than a championship player just because they're getting a game for Scotland. Presumably including no markers that they've capped from the SPL and the Scottish Championship. Which, particularly given that Scotland remain a terrible international team that haven't qualified for anything for 20 years, is once again utter nonsense.

McKenna has consistently been a bombscare in the middle of a terrible defence that have been repeatedly taken apart by a variety of teams, including the mighty Kazakhstan, in the last two years. Sorry, but to suggest that he of all people is somehow a benchmark that a QPR or other Championship player sits a level below is, again, pure nonsense. 

In a nutshell I don't know one individual who would use Gibraltar vs Andorra as the barometer to judge international football, would you?

There's a big difference between applying logic and not just fitting your own agenda? A player who consistently plays for Scotland is playing at a higher level than one who is playing in The Championship that would be correct. Scotland played Belgium and Russia, would it not be fair to say they're better sides than any in The Championship?

Now operating at higher level in terms of player performance as an individual is completely different, but that wasn't your initial argument was it? 

Your argument was based on comparing Masterson who has played 3 club appearances in his whole career is now well ahead of McKenna which is extremely premature. 

We'll agree to disagree Thumbs Up

I just think we need to be patient regarding the likes of Masterson, a couple of poor performances good see him benched or loaned out and then we will have to move on to the next prospect to get over excited about.

Edited by Green Devil - 20 Jan 2020 at 11:50am

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:28pm

Haha - excellent added bonus of a backhand for Bamford in this review 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
  Share Topic