You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Masterson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
Masterson scores his first ever professional goal i believe
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:17pm
Ryan Manning adds a second for QPR, 2-1 up now.

Edited by Green Cockade - 18 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:43pm
I haven’t saw much of Materson this season. He’d huge promise at Liverpool, but how’s he faired? Particularly now we’ve O’Shea showing a lot of promise. Collins has also played more games this season at Stoke. But 12-18 months ago, it was Materson we’d our hopes pinned on to be our next wall.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:05pm
O'Shea and Masterson will face each other in the final game of the season. If West Brom win, they go up.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:08pm
When Masterson moved from Liverpool to QPR he'd never kicked a ball in a competition senior league or Cup competition.

He couldn't even get on the bench for QPR for most of the first half of the season and I believe there was rumours a loan move was needed.

Around November/December he managed to get on the bench due to so many QPR defenders getting injured. He eventually got his first kick of professional senior football early January I believe. 

He then started to get more a more regular football and even getting starts, along with a lot of sub appearances. (He was subbed off after 30mins a couple of weeks ago)

He's really great on the ball and can carry out from defence but he's not built up that strength needed to play championship football. Yet... last few months he's started to put stronger and stronger tackles in.

Hes got a lot of development work to do but I feel next year will be massive for him. 

Not ready to start every game for QPR yet in my opinion but that might change next year. Saying that he's made fantastic progress in the last 6 months 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
Perfect sum up in last post. He has potential and is good on ball but definitely needs to be stronger and wiser defensively.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
I'd have said its great to have a centre back who's great on the ball and only needs to bulk up a bit, rather than the other way around.
We're decent enough..
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:57am
think there’s only one year left on his contract. Wonder if he’ll get an extension. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:00am
I believe his agent is Martin Rowlands, ex QPR and Ireland player, so no doubt he'll be pushing. Masterson I understand could have gone on loan earlier but didn't. Pity,that,as it's a different world, men's football in the lower leagues-lots of not particularly well paid guys, often with young families, fearful of keeping their places in the team with somebody younger always after your job. A world away from the cultured world of Premiership underage football, which made Masterson a millionaire before he ventured outside into the big bad world. To be fair to him, he has stayed motivated and is now starting to deliver on his potential, unlike for instance Alex O'Hanlon, who simply went down the slippery slope even though financially made for life.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:34am
Masterson has had a couple of lucky breaks and he really has to up his game now. He was5th choice  can at one stage and wasn’t making the bench even.

Barbet 1st choice was injured fir 3 months, then hall (contract expired), leistener (on loan to cologne) and Geoff Cameron a midfielder who filled in were all before him . He started last weeks game against Sheffield Wednesday but was subbed at ht and wouldn’t have started yesterday only for Rangell had a serious injury and we were down to bare bones with only 6 on the bench.

Masterson is good on the ball alright but is prone to switching off in games and needs to be far more combative in his tackles and general play which has always been his problem. Would love to see him do this as he has an excellent chance now as we’re going to have to rebuild the team again.

One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:13am
is Alex O'Hanlon really set up for life? How much do the likes of Liverpool pay these young lads that haven't broken through?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I believe his agent is Martin Rowlands, ex QPR and Ireland player, so no doubt he'll be pushing. Masterson I understand could have gone on loan earlier but didn't. Pity,that,as it's a different world, men's football in the lower leagues-lots of not particularly well paid guys, often with young families, fearful of keeping their places in the team with somebody younger always after your job. A world away from the cultured world of Premiership underage football, which made Masterson a millionaire before he ventured outside into the big bad world. To be fair to him, he has stayed motivated and is now starting to deliver on his potential, unlike for instance Alex O'Hanlon, who simply went down the slippery slope even though financially made for life.

I highly doubt O'Hanlon is "set up for life". In any case, he seems to have stabilised his career at Shels now.  It's worth noting that not every player who doesn't make it at a big club can be assumed to have "slacked off"; in the majority of cases they simply aren't good enough and when they are released they find their level, as O'Hanlon has done in the LOI.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

is Alex O'Hanlon really set up for life? How much do the likes of Liverpool pay these young lads that haven't broken through?

I won't name any names but I know of a young Dublin lad who signed a 4 year deal with Premier League club worth one million pound at the age of 16. Let go after 4 years and couldn't get another club. Back home a while now living with the folks and has nothing to show for it other than some designer clothes, a few nice watches and a nice car depreciating in value rapidly! Gets a pittance now in League of Ireland on pay as you play basis.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I won't name any names but I know of a young Dublin lad who signed a 4 year deal with Premier League club worth one million pound at the age of 16. Let go after 4 years and couldn't get another club. Back home a while now living with the folks and has nothing to show for it other than some designer clothes, a few nice watches and a nice car depreciating in value rapidly! Gets a pittance now in League of Ireland on pay as you play basis.

I'm not sure I'd say coming away from football at 20 years of age with 600-700K is exactly "set up for life" though. Certainly it's a great start, but you could hardly retire on it for the 60-70 years of your remaining life.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm not sure I'd say coming away from football at 20 years of age with 600-700K is exactly "set up for life" though. Certainly it's a great start, but you could hardly retire on it for the 60-70 years of your remaining life.

Not saying that it would set you up for life but sports stars qualify for massive tax relief on pension contributions given the relative shortness of their careers. Had he boxed clever, he could have been mortgage free on a house where he is from with a chunk invested in a pension fund for later in life. Obviously he would still need to work but would be well set up.

Maybe O'Hanlon was smarter but I get the impression that these kids get big money at such a young age that they blow it because they assume the well will never run dry.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:09am

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not saying that it would set you up for life but sports stars qualify for massive tax relief on pension contributions given the relative shortness of their careers. Had he boxed clever, he could have been mortgage free on a house where he is from with a chunk invested in a pension fund for later in life. Obviously he would still need to work but would be well set up.

Maybe O'Hanlon was smarter but I get the impression that these kids get big money at such a young age that they blow it because they assume the well will never run dry.

£1m over 4 years. take away 40% in tax and that's about £150k per year. Great start in life if it isn't pissed away on bling. Certainly should have a decent house paid for. Not bad at 20 years of age.
It's not me it's you:-)
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 3:52pm
if young lads going over to England are smart with their money, there’s money to be made.

Know of one young lad who was with an English club a number of years ago. Was captain of all their youths teams and didn’t drink. Came back home after 4 years with a nice wad of cash as was careful with money. Played up north for a bit afterwards and made a nice few quid while running his own business.

If lads have head on shoulders, they can come home after a few years with a nice few quid in their bank account if it doesn’t work out 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:30pm
That description would fit Rory Hale of Crusaders, formerly of Aston Villa. Still only 23 and a good player. His younger brother Ronan was on Birmingham's books, he came home too and played in the Irish League before moving to St.Patrick's Athletic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
  Share Topic