FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Masterson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conor Masterson
    Posted: 12 May 2023 at 11:08am
Came up against Connor allot in the DDSL and was always a nice lad, so always kept an eye on him over seas, his height and size in the DDSL made him stand out was always a concern that once other lads caught up with him, how good he actually was
Getting old and intolerant
Sponsored Links

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:23pm
not good enough to be an international player unfortunately. good luck to him though hopefully he has a decent career and can build himself back up the FL ladder.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 7:49pm

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 11 May 2023 at 8:02pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 7:00pm
He isn't 25 until September. He's more than young enough as a centre back to build his way back up to the Championship. QPR fans seem a bit disappointed He's been let go after the early promise he showed.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 5:34pm
Masterson has been released by QPR today, but has already signed for Gillingham in League 2, where he had been on loan. He's 25 in a few months so it looks like his level is going to be League 1/League 2 at this stage. Has fallen well behind the likes of Luke McNally and Liam Scales, who he was regularly selected ahead of at Under 21 level.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 5:40pm
8 goals conceded in 11 games by Gillingham since Masterson joined. They conceded 7 in the game before he joined.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 9:44pm
4 clean sheets in 7 games and they've become very hard to score against having been struggling right around the time he joined them.

It will stand to him.

Jimmy Dunne was in the same situation with the same questions being asked about him and you see how quickly things can turn around.

Luke McNally and Warren O'Hora also doing very well ATM.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 8:47pm
Very much under the radar now at Gillingham but it sounds from reports that he has done really well since he has gone there. Obviously it's a low level and he might not even be in our first dozen picks at centre back at this point, but it's good to hear some positive reports about him for a change nonetheless. Hopefully he is benefitting from finally getting an extended run of first team football this season that he should have had at a much younger age to be honest.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 3:15pm
Going to Gillingham on loan.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:09pm
Sheffield Wednesday, Crewe and Fleetwood reported to be all interested in taking him on loan for the remainder of the season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 11:18am
I think there's a fair amount of diplomacy there. We know Masterson was keen to stay on (he said so a few weeks back) and there is unlikely to be a role for him at QPR, so if Cambridge wanted to keep him it seems likely that they could have done.

He's slipping down the leagues with these moves though. Talk of League 2 for his next loan in that article. That's not a great sign at his age.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 10:42am
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40778175.html

Just seeing these comments now from the Cambridge manager. Is he being very diplomatic in how he is framing the lad being sent back because he hasn't specified why Masterson is going back? Is the assumption that it hasn't worked out accurate? Some people seem sure that it is so maybe that is the case. Seeing who they bring in instead will be interesting - if it's another young defender or if it's an older defender and whether it is a loan or permanent deal. 

Also, it seems like the loan deal was only for 6 months/first half of the season anyway so the deal has expired and they have not sought to extend it? That is a little different to an early cancellation. Not positive at all but not as negative as an early cancellation. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 06 Jan 2022 at 10:47am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I'm not being negative towards Masterson, I'm genuinely sorry it isnt working out for him. As I said, perhaps the LOI route might give him a chance to resurrect his career.

I do think its ok for fans here to discuss young players and 'hope' they make it. We are all very well aware that very few do make it. Of course we all live in hope rather than expectation. Not one of us 'expects' a 17 yr old kid to make it. We hope he does.

But we are allowed to hope!
Yeah LOI could be an option for him - worked out well for Dan Cleary. Was rotting away in Birmingham's U23s before he came back.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:21pm
Totally agree with that LF. In fact, our keeper situation is a good example of how measured discussion can be when there are obvious options and we are more relaxed as a result. There are pros and cons to the selection of each of our three keepers (not excluding Talbot and Randolph totally), and there seems to be a broad understanding that Bazunu is holding the brief until something else happens.

When you have no obvious selection or suite of alternatives I think we default a bit to hypotheticals, and hype. I have said before that there are championship defenders (Lenihan for example) who are not squad regulars for us. Yet there are a number of strikers who are not playing much (or at all) or are just about performing in the lower leagues, yet are being selected out of necessity.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think discussing hype around players is important, as it is creating expectations that may or may not be met. Troy Parrott has been the subject of a lot of hype since making a few appearances in a pre-season tournament for Spurs. Notwithstanding some appearances in the league and cup, we spend an inordinate amount of the me tracking his every action on the pitch, or on the bench.

Why is it called 'hype' to acknowledge a young player who stands out at his age level? Troy Parrott was hitting goals at pretty much all underage levels and was head and shoulders above his peers. Saying that he has promise is not unreasonable and not hype.

But it’s more than acknowledgement. There is almost constant scrutiny on him, and we seem to know in detail every game he  lays, every time he is subbed, every time he makes a chance etc. The scrutiny is a product of hype, and when he doesn’t score weekly people seem disappointed rather than letting a young 18 year old get on with the job of developing as a footballer.

Think about it, there has been no hype (or little at least) about Our new defenders. And the reason for that is that there are so many of them, and as a result we just enjoy watching them.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:41pm
premature to write him off surely? he is still only 23 and i think qpr play 3 at the back so he has opportunities to win his place back.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:31pm
I'm not being negative towards Masterson, I'm genuinely sorry it isnt working out for him. As I said, perhaps the LOI route might give him a chance to resurrect his career.

I do think its ok for fans here to discuss young players and 'hope' they make it. We are all very well aware that very few do make it. Of course we all live in hope rather than expectation. Not one of us 'expects' a 17 yr old kid to make it. We hope he does.

But we are allowed to hope!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:30pm
I think discussing hype around players is important, as it is creating expectations that may or may not be met. Troy Parrott has been the subject of a lot of hype since making a few appearances in a pre-season tournament for Spurs. Notwithstanding some appearances in the league and cup, we spend an inordinate amount of the me tracking his every action on the pitch, or on the bench.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic