You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCyprus game -Bottom line - 3 fukn points.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyprus game -Bottom line - 3 fukn points.
    Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:28pm
3 games. We brought trappa in for results. 2 wins and a draw from 2 away and one home game in world cup qualifying against reasonable opposition. We have conceded what? 3 goals in last 5/6 games?

Fcuk the pi$$ & vinegar parade. I'll take this.

Edited by billybunter - 15 Oct 2008 at 5:29pm
Sponsored Links

billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:36pm
Yep 3 points great, all i'm saying is that im not very comfortable with the fine line between 3 points and one point that we flirt with far too often.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 5:49pm
my tuppence....

Ireland had about 9 really good chances in front of goal and only took 1. Fannying around the box was unbelievable even from Doyle who had a good performance otherwise. On another note Duff looked to be the duff of old but the most disappointing thing was mcgeady again, the chap cannot cross a ball and when he does cross it in he can never beat the first defender.

Our set pieces/free kicks/corners have been atrocious I think aswell.

Again happy with the 3 points but wasnt a great performance.

No subs again (well until 93rd) mintue form Trap, whats all that about as some of the player looked knackered!

and to sign off - crole park atmosphere was sh*te again and took me nearly 2 hours to get home (11km), bring on Lansdowne!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:04pm
My tuppence halfpenny now...........I'm very pleased that we are creating more chances than we've become accustomed to but we did f*ck up too often badly in that regard.  We were terribly unambitious for the first 20 mins of the 2nd half but finished strongly as Cyprus came at us looking for the goal.  Gibson was nowhere first half but came into it 2nd, McGeady continues to frustrate cos his crossing was dire.  Our set pieces are fookin shameful, that really annoyed me tonight.  McShane is also not the answer at full back, he was absolutely awful first half and Trap has to address that if Finnan gets injured again.

Now the positives..........Big%20smile, in Given and Dunne we  have 2 absolute stalwarts and O'Shea continues to look happier beside Richie.  Duffer was buzzing again tonight as Count said and it was vintage Duffer for the goal, so that's hugely enouraging.  Doyle was outstanding for me, won his headers, chased everything and held the ball up and won frees, our best player for me and Robbie worked his socks off too, so our determination and attitude was spot on for me. 

I don't think Trap needs to make changes just for the sake of it (and really we only have Andy Reid with quality to make a difference) and we saw in Craven Cottage that he won't get obsessed by having to make a sub.  Overall, we've  made a very decent start, only 2 points lost as against Bulgaria's 6.  We'd have snapped anyone's hand off if offered that before the start of the campaign.  Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:28pm
Thumbs%20Up

WORLD CUP 2010 GROUP 8

Team Pld W D L Pts
Italy 4 3 1 0 10
Republic of Ireland 3 2 1 0 7
Bulgaria 3 0 3 0 3
Montenegro 3 0 2 1 2
Georgia 4 0 2 2 2
Cyprus 3 0 1 2 1

billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 6:31pm
Fookin great
Bondvillain View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 8:40pm
Set pieces are awful, midfield so full of holes it conceivably be used to strain spuds, 1 substitution (after 92 minutes) when important players were visibly faltering at the 70 minute mark, and looked knackered by the 75 minute mark (bearing in mind our "oooooh Nooooo! Censored" moments normally come in the final 10 minutes of matches due to lapses in concentration), Duff looking a little unsure of how to play the  the final ball, Kilbane's first half amounting to his poorest performance for a long time, McGeady's Club/Country schitzophrenia becoming more frustrating by the minute, a general lack of a killer instinct in the box from all of the attacking players...

And at the end of the day, all that matters right now is we have won three more points in what could very well yet shape up to be the tightarse group to beat all tightarse groups. Big%20smile
Forza Verde!
Tuff Paddy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
It's Rome!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 11:35pm
3 points, job done. I'll take 1-0 now against Georgia by which stage Italy will have beaten Bulgaria and they'll be out of it.
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 12:05am
Norn Iron won 4-0 today.
They still get three points.
Which still won't do them much good.

The Republic of Ireland won 1-0 today.
They still get the same three points.
The road to South Africa is beginning to get a little easier.
There are friendlier places to drink.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 3:18am
Good Result

Disgraceful Performance
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 3:27am
Good result alright,  but our right wing was a nightmare, McShane, every time the ball goes near him, it was panic attack time
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 3:49am
bunter, nail , head , on , hit
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:08am

Hmmmmm... a surprisingly amount of negativity on the Board this morning considering we have 3 points and were the deserved winning team.

Yes, we could have been better in some areas, most notably the fullbacks and in central midfield, but c'mon this is a huge improvement in comparison to our last competitive home game (which, as you know, was the 1-1 draw with Cyprus!). The Trap system is working, despite Gibson flunking his first test in an Irish shirt, and we've now recorded 3 wins and 2 draws against decent opposition.

Defense looks solid enough with the triangle of Given, Dunne and O'Shea. Sure there were some worrying moments and last ditch tackles, but this was the extent of the Cypriot chances. They should have scored 1 goal, but we should have scored at least 3. Don't forget Italy were damn lucky to beat them in Nicosia and that these guys are a decent side. They actually have more Champions League players than we have.

One thing is clear though, when key players are injured it's obvious there's not a whole lot Trap can do. Steven Reid and Steve Finnan were injured and there's no other players in the Irish setup that even come close to matching these guys in their respective positions. I only hope Dunne stays fit, possibly our most important player given the limited options we have there right now. McShane first choice replacement??? Oh jesus....that does NOT bode well.

I also think McGeady's getting a terribly unfair amount of stick.   I mean, his job is to take risks and to try and beat players. When he loses the ball it's usually by attacking an opening and not just being simply repossessed for want of doing nothing with the ball. Would people prefer if he continually passed the ball back to the defense? On more than once occasion, McGeady made it to the by-line, played a cross (albeit, usually quite average) only for one of the 6 Cypriot players in the box to clear. McGeady is young and still is a work in progress but I'd much rather him in the team, than out. I mean, who's the alternative? Also, his poor crossing people are talking about set up a great goal against Georgia last month don't forget.

All in all, three points in the bag, sitting pretty in second place, and with a home game against Georgia on the horizon. I've said it before lads, but I think we'll be good for second place by the time we've played Bulgaria in Dublin on 28th March.

“Hopefully, when we get to Croke Park, we’ll bamboozle the opposition"
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:17am
just wish mcgeady had scored that one ! it would have silenced the doubters!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:22am

We were terriable in the second half. Fair enough a result is a result, but they out passed us. People were building Cyprus up before this just because of their recent results against us, but they are a very ordinary team and again last night we made them look much better than they are.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:25am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

just wish mcgeady had scored that one ! it would have silenced the doubters!

yes and i would of picked up my betAngry
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:37am
Nedge, you make a good overall argument and as a Celtic fan I usually back McGeady, but we can't wait forever for him to play for us like he does for Celtic, because he does have consistent end product with Celtic.  He did alot of good things last night but ruined it with dire crossing.  Bottom line though is 7 points out of 9, huge improvement needed but as I said in my post last night, to be 4 points ahead of Bulgaria already is a tremendous early position. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:54am
Originally posted by nedge nedge wrote:

All in all, three points in the bag, sitting pretty in second place, and with a home game against Georgia on the horizon. I've said it before lads, but I think we'll be good for second place by the time we've played Bulgaria in Dublin on 28th March.

A pretty finish in 2nd place rewards us a "potential" playoff against possibly Portugal,France,Turkey,Russia or Croatia judging on how the groups are shaping up.

We serioulsy need to up the antie if we're gonna have any chance of making SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic