You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCyprus game -Bottom line - 3 fukn points.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyprus game -Bottom line - 3 fukn points.
    Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 7:36am

Have to be positive about what happened last night because we got 3 pts and Bulgaria have that in total, second half was poor and S Reid was badly missed but we won even without him playing, we should have taken more of our chances so it could have been a bigger win, if we can win our next two home games think the gap with Bulgaria will just be too big for them and we can start to think about the top spot then.

Very happy with Trap, think we should just let him do his job he knows how to get results, 3pts at home and 4 tricky away pts on the board cant argue with that.
Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
Sponsored Links

billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 7:09am
Originally posted by greenarmy greenarmy wrote:

One of the teams that finishes 2nd dont get into the playoffs

Why i said "potential"playoff.

We wont top the group if we continue like we are and we all know our record when it comes to playoffs and this time around our squad is largelly inferior.
Andy Reid would have made a huge difference last night.....himself and carsley would have run amok in the middle last night.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 7:04am
We are in a good position it has to be said.

Anybody got a link to the highlights?
fatherjoxer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 6:46am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Good Result

Disgraceful Performance
why be so negative? For the first time in years we are going into matches not chasing results & having to win games away from home to give ourselves any chance of qualification.

The players ran their socks off. Make no mistake Cyprus are a good team play the ball round well & and are strong physically.

This is a tough group not a bad team in it.

look at te other eight groups i dont think there is another team in second place with 7 pts from three games.

Well done boys.Clap

In the Trap we trust.

for the first time in a long time we have a wonderful team spirit & thats down to the trap 69 years old never sits down kicks every ball, wonderful.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 6:46am
Ireland 7points
Bulgaria 3points

Thats all that mattersBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Trap's only three competitive games in lads, sure there are issues to be ironed out..but for once I'm actually very optimistic. I doubt we'll top Italy but this team will run them close.

Secondly take a hard look at every other qualifying group, teams no better or worse than Georgia, Cyprus and Montenegro are  beating top teams and are leading or second in their groups.

This is great..Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:57am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

If Reid doesn't get a chance against Poland, then he may as well throw his hat at it........Ger, he has to be the answer, are you seriously telling me that Gibson and Whelan was last night?  Steven Reid seriously missed but he's gonna be missing more than he plays so Andy Reid HAS to be given his instructions and his head and he'll perform.  FFS 12 short months ago he was far and away our best player in Prague, in CENTRE POXY MID!!! I am delighted with Trap but I'm not happy at his centre mid choice last night, his sub decisions in Mainz and Montenegro and his snubbing of one of our few decent players that we have. 

Totally agree as do most of Ireland Clap
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:56am
If Reid doesn't get a chance against Poland, then he may as well throw his hat at it........Ger, he has to be the answer, are you seriously telling me that Gibson and Whelan was last night?  Steven Reid seriously missed but he's gonna be missing more than he plays so Andy Reid HAS to be given his instructions and his head and he'll perform.  FFS 12 short months ago he was far and away our best player in Prague, in CENTRE POXY MID!!! I am delighted with Trap but I'm not happy at his centre mid choice last night, his sub decisions in Mainz and Montenegro and his snubbing of one of our few decent players that we have. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:48am

Happy with the 3 points. We had some chances to finish the game but also we were lucky to have won it.

THE BAD:
Central midfield was overrun as we all thought might happen. We couldn't keep the ball at all in the central of midfield and there were spells when we were chasing the ball. This is against a Cyprus team missing the best central midfield player.
McShane is terrible end of. Foley needs to be played against Poland.
McGeady done some nice things but his end product is still really bad.
Kilbane looks shakey now too. Don't mean to be disrespectful but we need to find a new left back.
No subs again from Trap. It's like he's afraid to change a winning side but that could cost us. Andy Reid would have been able to use the ball better in the centre which was our biggest weakness yesterday

The Good
Doyle is a top striker and has improved so much the last year or so. Defo Prem quality. Can't see him in the Championship for much longer.
Given and Dunne are two of the best you can get. O'Shea also looking the part.
Duffer producing some magic.

The Future
We are top. I would like to see us try a few different things for Poland match. Foley at RB, maybe Delenay at LB. Andy Reid should play Centre. I know he likes his system and some think we will be run through the midfield if we played the two Reids but I think it can work. It surely can't be as bad as last night and we would also be able to hold the ball really well. If you hold onto the ball you won't need to defend as much
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:34am
Correct Green Army
People are forgetting that goal difference could be fookin huge here
We did create a good few chances though but the most vital position in the oitch is the middle of the park and we have NOTHING there
And I don't think Andy Reid is the answer either

But certainly, this is a good start which we can build on
greenarmy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:26am
One of the teams that finishes 2nd dont get into the playoffs
gcooky View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:17am
Originally posted by nedge nedge wrote:

Originally posted by billybob billybob wrote:

All in all, three points in the bag, sitting pretty in second place, and with a home game against Georgia on the horizon. I've said it before lads, but I think we'll be good for second place by the time we've played Bulgaria in Dublin on 28th March.

A pretty finish in 2nd place rewards us a "potential" playoff against possibly Portugal,France,Turkey,Russia or Croatia judging on how the groups are shaping up.

We serioulsy need to up the antie if we're gonna have any chance of making SA

Fair enough BB, but we can cross that bridge once we get there. I doubt too any of those teams will be finishing in second come the end of the campaign and it'll more likely to be the likes of Hungary, Israel, Slovakia, Russia, Turkey etc. It's a pity there's no automatic qualification for best placed runner up.

Why are we looking at finishing second in the group? I don't think we should be assuming we'll have to go to play-off, Italy are no great shakes at the moment, they've been poor in their last 2 games despite points won, and I think if we can sew up our midfield holes and maybe actually use the bench we might have a chance of topping the group. Optimism chaps!
Bondvillain View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:16am
Just my opinion, but if the group continues in it's current fashion (draws all over the gaff between Montenegro, Georgia, Cyprus & Georgia) then the 6 points in play for the two Ireland-Italy games will decide who goes top....

We could conceivably find ourselves qualified on the back of two good performances from 10 games.
Forza Verde!
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:08am
Originally posted by billybob billybob wrote:

All in all, three points in the bag, sitting pretty in second place, and with a home game against Georgia on the horizon. I've said it before lads, but I think we'll be good for second place by the time we've played Bulgaria in Dublin on 28th March.

A pretty finish in 2nd place rewards us a "potential" playoff against possibly Portugal,France,Turkey,Russia or Croatia judging on how the groups are shaping up.

Fair enough BB, but we can cross that bridge once we get there. I doubt too any of those teams will be finishing in second come the end of the campaign and it'll more likely to be the likes of Hungary, Israel, Slovakia, Russia, Turkey etc. It's a pity there's no automatic qualification for best placed runner up.
“Hopefully, when we get to Croke Park, we’ll bamboozle the opposition"
nedge View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 5:03am

FW, I agree McGeady seems to be more effective in the SPL (and he has shown glimpses in the Champs L as well). I'm only concerned people will start getting on his back, which will do his game no favours whatsoever. Even on current outings he's outperformed Hunt by some way. I think people are placing the bar quite high and becoming impatient, but only because they know he can be so good. Anyway, he's hardly a regular starter in the Ireland team just yet so I feel he does deserve some more time. I do believe that by the middle / end of this campaign he'll be twice the player he was last year for Ireland, sure he's already made a lot of progress in this regard.

On another note, anyone find any highlights of the match online yet? Youtube or the like?   I wanna see Duffer's turn again!!! So sweet!!!   
“Hopefully, when we get to Croke Park, we’ll bamboozle the opposition"
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:54am

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:37am
Nedge, you make a good overall argument and as a Celtic fan I usually back McGeady, but we can't wait forever for him to play for us like he does for Celtic, because he does have consistent end product with Celtic.  He did alot of good things last night but ruined it with dire crossing.  Bottom line though is 7 points out of 9, huge improvement needed but as I said in my post last night, to be 4 points ahead of Bulgaria already is a tremendous early position. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:25am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

just wish mcgeady had scored that one ! it would have silenced the doubters!

yes and i would of picked up my betAngry
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:22am

We were terriable in the second half. Fair enough a result is a result, but they out passed us. People were building Cyprus up before this just because of their recent results against us, but they are a very ordinary team and again last night we made them look much better than they are.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic