You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

craft beer, real ales and the like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 64>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:24pm
Is there many Irish microbreweries?
Jonesy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:17pm
In belfast cork dublin wexford carlingford etc but you cant beat the Maxim brewery for class.
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Yous need to get on the Sierra Nevada range, lads. Big Foot pale ale - yummy!

Loads of other good ones out there. Try the Beer Club in Harold's Cross if you're in Dublin. They do great deals on varieties of craft beers. Deveney's are also pretty good too.

My recent recommendations would be - Goose Island India Pale, Fullers I.P.A., Doppel Hirsch, Shloeber. Ehh, that Paulaner hefe Weibler is kWality too.

Anyone else like that Bishops Finger stuff outta Lidl?
Not gone on Bishops finger.

Sierra NevadaClap An ethically brilliant company with superb beers. Torpedo IPA and their pale ale are my favourites. Goose IPA is great but not a patch on the torpedo. By fuller's IPA do you mean the Bengal Lancer? Love that stuff.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 2:07pm
This stuff here Clonbhoy...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/71/733/

Will have to give the Torpedo ones a go. Sierra Nevada are kWality. Whelan's offo in Dublin's Camden St were doing 5 Sierra Nevada beers for a tenner a while back. I always start off with a Big Foot P.A.

9.6%, so it gives a good kick-start to a night!Thumbs Up

What got me started on all this though, was Cooper's P.A. from S. Australia. Lived on the stuff over there. Another good ethical brewery. Available in loads of offy's in Ireland now and beats the piss outta 6 cans of some mass produced, chemical bullsh*t.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:15pm
Drank Starobrno (czech) beer while out in Slovakia recently. Nice stuff and considering the amount we were drinking not much of a hangover really.

Is it an urban myth that these type of beers have less preseratives and chemicals in them, compared to the Irish favourites, so thats why you dont get near as bad a hangover?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

A new English beer made by a Kent winemaker has been named as one of the world's best lagers in the industry's equivalent to the Oscars.

The annual International Beer Challenge – which has been judging the world's best beers for the past 16 years – has awarded the ultimate accolade of a gold medal to Chapel Down vineyard for its Curious Brew premium lager.

The prestigious annual competition attract entries from the world's largest breweries through to the burgeoning band of pioneering microbrewers.

This year, judges tasted over 400 beers before declaring the Kent winemaker's lager to be the best of its class. The competition deemed only 30 beers, from countries including Belgium, Germany, Italy, New Zealand and the USA, to be of gold-medal standard. Curious Brew was one of only three international lagers awarded a golden gong.

US brewery Samuel Adams picked up the other two lager gold medals for its Double Bock and A Dark Night in Munich.

Chapel Down, which only started brewing beer two years ago, believes that its success comes down to using the best quality products and, crucially, bringing a wine-maker's thinking to the beer-brewing process.

The vineyard uses East Anglian malt, saaz and cascade hops. It then re-ferments the lager using the same champagne yeast that goes into its award-winning sparkling wines to create a highly drinkable and refreshing 4.7% abv lager beer.

The whole process is overseen by Frazer Thompson, Chapel Down's chief executive officer, who as a "beer man" has held senior jobs at Heineken and Whitbread. He said: "We've changed people's minds about English wine and now we want to do the same when it comes to lager.

Mass-produced lagers taste like corporate cardboard and have the aroma of market research rather than hops. We've worked really hard to craft something that is more fragrant and more refreshing than other beers when served cold."

The vineyard's still and sparkling wines have won a clutch of prestigious industry awards over the years and some were served at Buckingham Palace during the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding celebrations.

Beer expert and author Pete Brown added: "I was intrigued when I first heard from Frazer that he was creating beers and I loved the results when I first tasted them. Brewing with champagne yeast is something you'd expect the Belgians to do, and so is brewing a lager for that matter. The result is a lovely beer which has a sparkling zing that makes it refreshing, satisfying and a lovely halfway house between beer and a sparkling wine. This is a lager for people who love beer."

Curious Brew is currently served on draught at Jamie Oliver's Union Jacks restaurants and several Jamie's Italians, The Swan at London's Globe Theatre, the Royal Opera House, Gordon Ramsay restaurants, ETM's The Gun, The RAC Club and Browns brasseries, as well as various independent pubs in the south-east.

All great beers, Samuel Adams, the inspiration for the Pawtucket Pat brewery in Family Guy, does some brilliant beers. Their Boston Lager, which should be quite easy to get, is one of my favourite beers. The double bock isn't bad but felt I have had better beers in the same style. Dark night in Munich is ok but brown beers aren't really for me. That curious brew, had it in the Swan a few months back and it was worth the trip down the bank. I think a friend of mine and old boss might have been judging on this, he certainly used to. Think he might have cut down to the beer world cup now though.
Delirium Tremens is a fantastic beer, if you liked that try their delirium noctornum which is even better. They also do a cherry one but it isn't a lambic.Far too sweet for me but the missus loves it.

I'm coming across as a right dipso

Picked up 4 of these for 6 quid in my mates offy - where the hell have you been all my life!
@AntrimMan85
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 1:48am

Will have to give the Torpedo ones a go. Sierra Nevada are kWality. Whelan's offo in Dublin's Camden St were doing 5 Sierra Nevada beers for a tenner a while back. I always start off with a Big Foot P.A.

What got me started on all this though, was Cooper's P.A. from S. Australia. Lived on the stuff over there. Another good ethical brewery. Available in loads of offy's in Ireland now and beats the piss outta 6 cans of some mass produced, chemical bullsh*t.

Sorry should have been clearer, Torpedo is a beer from Sierra Nevada. It is an IPA that is ran through a torpedo shaped vessel to dry hop it amking an extra hoppy ale. Delicious!! That, their pale ale(the original), Kellerweis and celebration ale are all magical. Their porter isn't bad either. 

cooer's ain't bad but have you tried Little creatures from Oz?A far superior beer
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

A new English beer made by a Kent winemaker has been named as one of the world's best lagers in the industry's equivalent to the Oscars.

The annual International Beer Challenge – which has been judging the world's best beers for the past 16 years – has awarded the ultimate accolade of a gold medal to Chapel Down vineyard for its Curious Brew premium lager.

The prestigious annual competition attract entries from the world's largest breweries through to the burgeoning band of pioneering microbrewers.

This year, judges tasted over 400 beers before declaring the Kent winemaker's lager to be the best of its class. The competition deemed only 30 beers, from countries including Belgium, Germany, Italy, New Zealand and the USA, to be of gold-medal standard. Curious Brew was one of only three international lagers awarded a golden gong.

US brewery Samuel Adams picked up the other two lager gold medals for its Double Bock and A Dark Night in Munich.

Chapel Down, which only started brewing beer two years ago, believes that its success comes down to using the best quality products and, crucially, bringing a wine-maker's thinking to the beer-brewing process.

The vineyard uses East Anglian malt, saaz and cascade hops. It then re-ferments the lager using the same champagne yeast that goes into its award-winning sparkling wines to create a highly drinkable and refreshing 4.7% abv lager beer.

The whole process is overseen by Frazer Thompson, Chapel Down's chief executive officer, who as a "beer man" has held senior jobs at Heineken and Whitbread. He said: "We've changed people's minds about English wine and now we want to do the same when it comes to lager.

Mass-produced lagers taste like corporate cardboard and have the aroma of market research rather than hops. We've worked really hard to craft something that is more fragrant and more refreshing than other beers when served cold."

The vineyard's still and sparkling wines have won a clutch of prestigious industry awards over the years and some were served at Buckingham Palace during the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding celebrations.

Beer expert and author Pete Brown added: "I was intrigued when I first heard from Frazer that he was creating beers and I loved the results when I first tasted them. Brewing with champagne yeast is something you'd expect the Belgians to do, and so is brewing a lager for that matter. The result is a lovely beer which has a sparkling zing that makes it refreshing, satisfying and a lovely halfway house between beer and a sparkling wine. This is a lager for people who love beer."

Curious Brew is currently served on draught at Jamie Oliver's Union Jacks restaurants and several Jamie's Italians, The Swan at London's Globe Theatre, the Royal Opera House, Gordon Ramsay restaurants, ETM's The Gun, The RAC Club and Browns brasseries, as well as various independent pubs in the south-east.

All great beers, Samuel Adams, the inspiration for the Pawtucket Pat brewery in Family Guy, does some brilliant beers. Their Boston Lager, which should be quite easy to get, is one of my favourite beers. The double bock isn't bad but felt I have had better beers in the same style. Dark night in Munich is ok but brown beers aren't really for me. That curious brew, had it in the Swan a few months back and it was worth the trip down the bank. I think a friend of mine and old boss might have been judging on this, he certainly used to. Think he might have cut down to the beer world cup now though.
Delirium Tremens is a fantastic beer, if you liked that try their delirium noctornum which is even better. They also do a cherry one but it isn't a lambic.Far too sweet for me but the missus loves it.

Picked up 4 of these for 6 quid in my mates offy - where the hell have you been all my life!
Well most of my life in clonakilty, am in London now. Not sure your my type...................................
coat on!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:01am
Jesus i had that samuel adams pish in boston and found it tasted rotten but put it down to being drained from travelling. tried it again in ireland in the bottles and got the same rank taste.that was 5 years ago so i might try it again tomorrow just to make sure i dont like it. ill probably fcukin love it now
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:26am

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Well most of my life in clonakilty, am in London now. Not sure your my type...................................
coat on!!

LOL
@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Jesus i had that samuel adams pish in boston and found it tasted rotten but put it down to being drained from travelling. tried it again in ireland in the bottles and got the same rank taste.that was 5 years ago so i might try it again tomorrow just to make sure i dont like it. ill probably fcukin love it now

If you don't like the taste of hops then it wont be for you. But holy god its lovely.
@AntrimMan85
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:31am

Sorry should have been clearer, Torpedo is a beer from Sierra Nevada. It is an IPA that is ran through a torpedo shaped vessel to dry hop it amking an extra hoppy ale. Delicious!! That, their pale ale(the original), Kellerweis and celebration ale are all magical. Their porter isn't bad either. 

cooer's ain't bad but have you tried Little creatures from Oz?A far superior beer

Yeah mate, got to try some in the brewery when I was in Freemantle. Quite a while ago now. Had almost forgotten about it! Will have to see if it's knocking around Dublin anywhere.

And silly me - forgot about that S.N. Torpedo.

Edited by heighway2heaven - 24 Jul 2012 at 10:32am
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 11:34am

Yeah mate, got to try some in the brewery when I was in Freemantle. Quite a while ago now. Had almost forgotten about it! Will have to see if it's knocking around Dublin anywhere.

And silly me - forgot about that S.N. Torpedo.
Little creatures might be hard to find in Ireland, there is only one company who brings it in to Britain, the Aspall's cyder crowd, so sometimes the whole country can be without it!!
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:29pm
some london pale ale from meantime and some sam adams on the menu tonight
finnanselbow View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnanselbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:37pm
Dungarvan stuff is really good, especially the red ale, really nice drink. Tried Belfast equivalent over the weekend and wasn't impressed. The howling gale ale from 8 degrees brewing is lovely on draught, less so from off-licence strangely.

Edited by finnanselbow - 29 Jul 2012 at 9:38pm
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by finnanselbow finnanselbow wrote:

Dungarvan stuff is really good, especially the red ale, really nice drink. Tried Belfast equivalent over the weekend and wasn't impressed. The howling gale ale from 8 degrees brewing is lovely on draught, less so from off-licence strangely.
Tried that Dungarvan red ale last time I was home. Found it very average. Had an 8 degrees ale which wasn't bad at all, can't remember the name but it was on draught
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:16pm
had a pacific pale ale from meantime on draught last night. Do find some of their beers a little over rated. Tropical flavours and refreshing but with a soapy finish
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:50pm

Anyone try the Brewdock formerly Kates Cottage yet? Some quality craft booze.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 64>
  Share Topic