You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

craft beer, real ales and the like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 64>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 7:59am
Smithwicks man meself ... But their pale ale is muck. Rebel red ale is one id reccommend. A little bit sweeter than smitwicks but a nice drop all the same. On draught in a couple of places in dublin
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:23am
Yeah after years of going with the masses (Heineken etc), I've started branching out recently. Tend to go for things with sweet flavours, Honey Ales, Banana Brown etc. There's a great off licence in Ballsbridge opposite the Waterloo that's close to my work. Used to be a chain and was being closed, workers bought it out and have now gone very alternative. Some lovely stuff in there.

Favourite beer that you find in most pubs these days in Hoegarden and Blue Moon.

If anyone's ever in North West USA, make sure you do some of the beer tours in Orgeon and Seattle area.
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Percy Percy wrote:

Smithwicks man meself ... But their pale ale is muck. Rebel red ale is one id reccommend. A little bit sweeter than smitwicks but a nice drop all the same. On draught in a couple of places in dublin

Was released in bottles for the first time about two weeks ago, available in some off licences. Lovely stuff alright.
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 10:22am
Anyone drink John Smith?

Lovely stuff imo.
It's Jack Shat
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 10:49am
Love the Erdinger Oktoberfest beer. Only available from Sept - Oct

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 11:31am
Gone off wheat beers a lot. Used to love them too. Proper Ales, Stouts and craft lagers tickling my fancy at the minute.

Was in cork last month and theres this offy with over 700 different beers - tried a 9% Belgian one called Dilerium Tremens. Powerful stuff altogether!
@AntrimMan85
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 12:55pm
crown lager from oz is the bollocks.....only place you can get it here is the woolshed.....6% and its like drinking water.lethal.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by ShannonHibs10 ShannonHibs10 wrote:

Old Engine Oil Stout is a nice one. Expensive but worth a try.

London Pride, Strong Suffolk are very nice Ale's. Stay well clear of those O'Hara's, horrible. Tried the majority of them and haven't found one I like.

White Gypsy is a very ale, the consistency of a stout and the taste of an ale, only available in Tipperary and 2 pubs in Limerick. Haven't come across it anywhere else.

Smithwick Pale Ale is just offensive. It is disgusting. I drink normal Smithwick and it is streets ahead of the Pale Ale.
London pride is muck there are literally(and not a jamie Redknapp one) hundreds of better bitters than that. It is just well marketed and widely available. Engine oil is a great drop alright
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

A new English beer made by a Kent winemaker has been named as one of the world's best lagers in the industry's equivalent to the Oscars.

The annual International Beer Challenge – which has been judging the world's best beers for the past 16 years – has awarded the ultimate accolade of a gold medal to Chapel Down vineyard for its Curious Brew premium lager.

The prestigious annual competition attract entries from the world's largest breweries through to the burgeoning band of pioneering microbrewers.

This year, judges tasted over 400 beers before declaring the Kent winemaker's lager to be the best of its class. The competition deemed only 30 beers, from countries including Belgium, Germany, Italy, New Zealand and the USA, to be of gold-medal standard. Curious Brew was one of only three international lagers awarded a golden gong.

US brewery Samuel Adams picked up the other two lager gold medals for its Double Bock and A Dark Night in Munich.

Chapel Down, which only started brewing beer two years ago, believes that its success comes down to using the best quality products and, crucially, bringing a wine-maker's thinking to the beer-brewing process.

The vineyard uses East Anglian malt, saaz and cascade hops. It then re-ferments the lager using the same champagne yeast that goes into its award-winning sparkling wines to create a highly drinkable and refreshing 4.7% abv lager beer.

The whole process is overseen by Frazer Thompson, Chapel Down's chief executive officer, who as a "beer man" has held senior jobs at Heineken and Whitbread. He said: "We've changed people's minds about English wine and now we want to do the same when it comes to lager.

Mass-produced lagers taste like corporate cardboard and have the aroma of market research rather than hops. We've worked really hard to craft something that is more fragrant and more refreshing than other beers when served cold."

The vineyard's still and sparkling wines have won a clutch of prestigious industry awards over the years and some were served at Buckingham Palace during the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding celebrations.

Beer expert and author Pete Brown added: "I was intrigued when I first heard from Frazer that he was creating beers and I loved the results when I first tasted them. Brewing with champagne yeast is something you'd expect the Belgians to do, and so is brewing a lager for that matter. The result is a lovely beer which has a sparkling zing that makes it refreshing, satisfying and a lovely halfway house between beer and a sparkling wine. This is a lager for people who love beer."

Curious Brew is currently served on draught at Jamie Oliver's Union Jacks restaurants and several Jamie's Italians, The Swan at London's Globe Theatre, the Royal Opera House, Gordon Ramsay restaurants, ETM's The Gun, The RAC Club and Browns brasseries, as well as various independent pubs in the south-east.

All great beers, Samuel Adams, the inspiration for the Pawtucket Pat brewery in Family Guy, does some brilliant beers. Their Boston Lager, which should be quite easy to get, is one of my favourite beers. The double bock isn't bad but felt I have had better beers in the same style. Dark night in Munich is ok but brown beers aren't really for me. That curious brew, had it in the Swan a few months back and it was worth the trip down the bank. I think a friend of mine and old boss might have been judging on this, he certainly used to. Think he might have cut down to the beer world cup now though.
Delirium Tremens is a fantastic beer, if you liked that try their delirium noctornum which is even better. They also do a cherry one but it isn't a lambic.Far too sweet for me but the missus loves it.

I'm coming across as a right dipso
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:22pm
Aye, tried the nocturnum as well. Both quality - drank one after the other so bit hard pressed to remember which was better.

Gonna have to get a run up to the Vineyard offy in Belfast this week now - probably the best one about here for the less commercial stuff. Nothing compared to that place in Cork though- the abbott or soemthing like that. Unreal.
@AntrimMan85
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Nothing compared to that place in Cork though- the abbott or soemthing like that. Unreal.

Franciscan Well Clap
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:37pm
aye the abbott ale house. great shop. Some great places over here but the abbot would compete. Have a nice little one five minutes from me here, owned by a jackeen, but he is often shut at inappropriate times. Why would an offy be shut on a Saturday afternoon!! Delirium tremens was one of my favourite beers until i had the noctornum.,They both pack a punch!!

Taht Palo Santo last night was lovely too. All the ageing meant it tasted more like a double stout than a brown ale. Worth the 5 quid a bottle
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:57pm
Some lovely ales from The William Bros. Brewery in Scotland, particularly the Scottish Joker IPA.

Stuck on the ales from Hook Norton brewery in England at the moment

If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 2:06pm
Hook Norton, a great bunch of ladsClap
Don't think I have tried any of the Williams bros. ales? Any more info?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

The Williams Brothers stuff is excellent. Theres a Heather flavoured ale thats great called 'Fraoch' - lovely bottles too - all celtics designs and that.

Their Red ale is quality as well.

Stocked in one or two places here, bout 2.50 a bottle i think. They came to a beer tasting event my mates bar hosted - sound lads as well.
@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Nothing compared to that place in Cork though- the abbott or soemthing like that. Unreal.

Franciscan Well Clap

Nah, was the Abbott ale house.

But dropped into the Franciscan Well last time as well. Great spot. They were hosting a home-brewing expo the last time i was there too - Will be making a point of going there again!
@AntrimMan85
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 2:40pm

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

The Williams Brothers stuff is excellent. Theres a Heather flavoured ale thats great called 'Fraoch' - lovely bottles too - all celtics designs and that.

Their Red ale is quality as well.

Stocked in one or two places here, bout 2.50 a bottle i think. They came to a beer tasting event my mates bar hosted - sound lads as well.
Recognised the bottles, didn't know the name of the brewery.Will pick a bottle of Fraoch next time. cheers AM.

The Bierhaus in cork has a few beers, haven't been there in a couple of years mind
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 2:53pm
Yous need to get on the Sierra Nevada range, lads. Big Foot pale ale - yummy!

Loads of other good ones out there. Try the Beer Club in Harold's Cross if you're in Dublin. They do great deals on varieties of craft beers. Deveney's are also pretty good too.

My recent recommendations would be - Goose Island India Pale, Fullers I.P.A., Doppel Hirsch, Shloeber. Ehh, that Paulaner hefe Weibler is kWality too.

Anyone else like that Bishops Finger stuff outta Lidl?
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 64>
  Share Topic