FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which team would win.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which team would win.......
    Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

The reason we play with *two holding CM's is because our defence is poor 

What exactly do they hold though? the ball? hold out the opposition? 

They hold their mickeys is what they do while we get steam-rolled in the middle of the park in every game regardless of the opposition

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Okay, lets phrase it another way,

If Whelan had been one of those snubbed by Trap, would we be calling for his inclusion?

Probably, given that his PL form has been as good as and as impressive as the likes of Hoolihan, Clarke, Duffy, Wilson.

The grass is always greener on the other side!

I disagree, I think Wilson got voted Stokes best player in the season just gone. He played almost all their games. Whelan got dropped from time to time during the season. 

Hoolahan was probably one of the most effective players for Norwich in the Premier League. He was recently inducted into Norwich's Hall of Fame. He wore the captain's armband loads of times throughout the season. He also made plenty of assists and scored goals, (which I understand Whelan is more defensive, so I can't really use that).

I agree regarding Clark and Duffy. Clark picked up a cruciate injury which kept him out for a few month's. 

Duffy was very unlucky that Moyes didn't show more faith in him.

Crouch was player of the season, Wilson won the coaching staff player of the season award: http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2764395,00.html
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

If Whelan had been one of those snubbed by Trap, would we be calling for his inclusion?

Probably, given that his PL form has been as good as and as impressive as the likes of Hoolihan, Clarke, Duffy, Wilson.

I disagree, I think Wilson got voted Stokes best player in the season just gone. He played almost all their games. Whelan got dropped from time to time during the season. 

Hoolahan was probably one of the most effective players for Norwich in the Premier League. He was recently inducted into Norwich's Hall of Fame. He wore the captain's armband loads of times throughout the season. He also made plenty of assists and scored goals, (which I understand Whelan is more defensive, so I can't really use that).

I agree regarding Clark and Duffy. Clark picked up a cruciate injury which kept him out for a few month's. 

So did Hoolahan. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:00pm
Hoolahan also got dropped a few times as he only started 25 games of a possible 36.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:52pm

Twitter: DaveOGrady1
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:10am

Good point, if he had been dropped then at the very least people would be pointing out that he's been a faithful servant, never refused a call up, and playing regularly inthe Premier League
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
trapnoclue View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Eh, make that suspended 11 times now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trapnoclue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:00am
no we wouldnt be calling for whelan he is muck, the only thing he does is chew gum.
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:18am
jaysus
GWAN YBIG
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:15am

Ar_do_rothar View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ar_do_rothar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:38am
Tough question. The obvious answer is some sort of mixture of the two. The fans team would be on the front foot for most of the game, but Traps team would probably get a 1-1 draw. 
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:08pm
Let's have a look at rainpaulos' defence.

Westwood
Kelly........Clark..Duffy.....Wilson...

Westwood  - hasn't let us down, but it's looking likely that he will have to go back to championship level to play regular club football.

Kelly  - maybe, but tbh his club form and even when he 's played for us, means he's likely to be little better than JOS. Alternatives, Foley/Coleman?

Clark - it's hard to say if he could shine there as he's been shunted about so much at Villa. It looks more likely he's developing into a decent midfielder.
Duffy - played just 3 premier league games for Everton last season. Yes, he's got great potential and hopefully one for the future. We need to see more of him.  Hard to see either of them dislodging Sledge or Dunne.  Alternatives of O'Dea and Delaney don't really inspire either.

Wilson - I wonder how many here have actually ever see him play? He was average all season for Stoke and only played there because he was the best that they had for the position. Stoke are actively looking for a recognised LB. He's marginally better than Ward at LB, that's all. That said, he's got plenty to offer in other areas of the pitch too and he should be in the squad. Alternatives? We could really do with Cunningham making a breakthrough this season or as some have suggested, switching Duff to LB.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by NewrycityonTour NewrycityonTour wrote:

You remove the best keeper we have,  granted he didnt have a great Euros but was clearly injured.

Ill give you Wilson over Ward, just.  The other 3 maybe not. 
You drop our only two players from the Euros who did anything of note in Duff and Andrews.

But your opinion rules.

He had a good tournament, for him.  I applaud him for putting in some of his better performances but they were hardly dazzling displays. I would still be looking at him to be replaced in this campaign. He is a championship player really. We have central midfielders playing in the Premier League and doing well too. Andrews and Whelan need to be replaced if we are going to become a better passing side

i take these better players would be :

hoolahan (who has spent all bar one season outside top flight football, so a championship player/league 1 player for most of his career, like andrews)
mccarthy (who was not available)
gibson (could be a better option but has had some very mediocre days in a green shirt)
"ireland" (used to play for us, but then didnt want to, but did really, at least his bird mentioned at the hairdressers, and the boss must go round and throw pebbles at his window and serenade him first)

just an observation, maybe you had some other names ? Thumbs Up

When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trapnoclue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 4:33pm
whelan is a nothing midfielder, he cant/wont tackle,pass, shoot, stop the opposition he does nothing, so stoked up when are you goin to put your blind loyalty to him aside and admit he is useless?
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 4:21pm
Where does Whelan sit in the scheme of logic? I see many want him gone and bemoan that Trap wont play form players.
Let's see - he played 41 games last season for his EPL club. http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=26767&seasonID=141 
But of course many of you want to make an exception here. Did Whelan have a good tournament? Not at all, but we are still searching for an aggressive holding CM to replace him. 

Even it Trap wasn't in charge, Whelan's fine form for his club would likely see him play, whoever was managing Ireland. 
I genuinely hope McCarthy's stock can keep on rising or perhaps Clark or Wilson can force their way in, otherwise we are likely to still see Whelan in an Irish jersey for some time to come.

When are some of you going to understand this fundamental point. 
The reason we play with *two holding CM's is because our defence is poor and there's little in the way of replacements that are much better than the quartet who played in Poland. 
The very pragmatism of this is what gave us the unlikely away victories, which brought us to second place in the last two qualifying campaigns.

* I'm all for some more attacking players in our lineup ala rainpaulo's OP here, but untill we find better defenders, I'm afraid this paucity is likely to continue.

Edited by Stoked Up - 04 Jul 2012 at 4:24pm
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trapnoclue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:37am
shedite, trap is not picking b rate premiership players you are right there, he is picking b rate championship players instead of them.
NewrycityonTour View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewrycityonTour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:19am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

1.  Us Newry lads are fine, so long as your nice back to us.

2. For his performances in the Euros he deserves a shot in the first game at least, unless someone else is on superb form.  Andrews wouldn't be my pick at all but Im a believer that form should come into it.  Obviously if hes terrible in the first few games of the season that rules him out but IMO he deserves to keep his place.  I agree with Whelan though, but thankfully we have McCarthy as a replacement for one of them and Id love to see Chris McCann getting a chance, back from 2 bad injury wrecked years and captained Burnley last year.  With him about to make the step to the Premier league aswell with Swansea that can only be good for us.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops to get Andrews dropped. I think he does a good job. But I think if we want to become a team that is composed on the ball then we need to phase Andrews out to a squad player and replace him in the first XI with the likes of Gibson, McCarthy, maybe Mr. Ireland.
He still has a lot to give, but not as a main man in my opinion. Also agree about McCann. I think we need to get him into the squad ASAP.
Andrews is out of the first game by the way (suspended)

Forgot about that.

Oh angry nordies, we used to be British but were O'Irish now.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:23am

2. For his performances in the Euros he deserves a shot in the first game at least, unless someone else is on superb form.  Andrews wouldn't be my pick at all but Im a believer that form should come into it.  Obviously if hes terrible in the first few games of the season that rules him out but IMO he deserves to keep his place.  I agree with Whelan though, but thankfully we have McCarthy as a replacement for one of them and Id love to see Chris McCann getting a chance, back from 2 bad injury wrecked years and captained Burnley last year.  With him about to make the step to the Premier league aswell with Swansea that can only be good for us.

I wouldn't be shouting from the roof tops to get Andrews dropped. I think he does a good job. But I think if we want to become a team that is composed on the ball then we need to phase Andrews out to a squad player and replace him in the first XI with the likes of Gibson, McCarthy, maybe Mr. Ireland.
He still has a lot to give, but not as a main man in my opinion. Also agree about McCann. I think we need to get him into the squad ASAP.
Andrews is out of the first game by the way (suspended)
NewrycityonTour View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewrycityonTour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:03am

Oh angry nordies, we used to be British but were O'Irish now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic