You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trap - Stay/Move on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Poll Question: Would you like to see Trapattoni remain in charge or move on?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
101 [49.27%]
104 [50.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trap - Stay/Move on?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

how could you view it any other way, on paper we had to get a win against Russia as we fooked up against slovakia at home a few days earlier, it was expected that slovakia would beat armenia, and if that happened, it was highly unlikely we would have even got a playoff spot. those are the facts, please enlighten me on their inaccuracies. I remember leaving the Luzniki stadium with 100s of other Irish fans resigned to us not qualifying.

The group produced all kinds of surprises the whole way through. We still had Andorra to face and had the final game at home, while Slovakia had to face Russia and go to Macedonia, which they won neither. Russia had to go to Zilina and get at least the same result we did, Armenia still had to come to Dublin and because they dropped points earlier in the group, had to come to Dublin looking for a win to stay in it.

Points are not won on likelihood, they're won on grass. We got 3 points from the Russia and Slovakia group games. We were still in a very strong position going into the last two games, which we took advantage of.

they lamented their lack of perceived technique and talked about grass-roots development but Hodgson was praised for the manner in which he managed the team, as he was deemd to have exceeded expectations.

He wasn't praised for doing a "Trap" job on the French, nor letting Pirlo have the freedom of Kiev to dictate the play in their quarter final, and most admitted they were lucky that Ukraine goal didn't stand. Their expectations were low going into the tournament, and they got as far as they thought they would.
Sponsored Links

rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Hang on a sec Milla.......embarrassed is far too strong a word to use in my opinion.

it was complete mortification in football terms, its one thing playing sh*t on a stick, its another playing thing playing it and still getting walloped, we conttributed absolutely nothing to a marvellous footballing tournament. There was no positives to take from it

Nobody can deny this lads even if you do want Trap to stay. We played 270 minutes of absolutely dreadful stuff. Must be up there with some of the worse performances from a nation at this level.

Can't have seen much tournament football if you think that's the case. Spain was the one game in which we were humiliated. Against Croatia, although they were undoubtedly the better team, the game hinged on two decisions, the one to allow their second goal despite the offside and the foul on Ward and the one not to award a stonewall penalty when Keane was taken down in the box. Those decisions got the other way and we could have been looking at, an admitedly lucky, 2-2 draw. I've seen teams play far worse and sneak something from games like that.

Against Italy the general concensus at the time was that it was an improved performance and we were in the game until Shay had his brain fart and dropped the ball out for the corner they scored from. Despite losing 2-0 in a dead rubber I think we put up a better performance against Italy than England did in their nil all draw for example.

Yes, we looked bereft of ideas and lacked a cutting edge. We also looked to be carrying injuries on our best players in qualoification with Given, Dunne and O'Shea all below par fitness wide. But, as I said at the time if people think that by putting lads such as Hoolahan who took till he was 29 to reach the Premier League or the likes of Clark, Pilkington etc who had less then a seasons worth of top level experience in would have made a blind nit of difference against the quality we had to play then they need their heads checked. The way people go on you'd swear we were leaving Messi at home. Seems that a players ability gets multiplied exponentially every game he doesn't play for Ireland.

Would some of you honestly had been happier if we hadn't qualified, serious question?
your completely missing the point to be honest, the performances in all 3 games were dreadful, you way against italy it was a marked improvement, if creating zero chances in a game which we only playing for pride is a marked improvment, we really need to raise the bar.

Your point about us playing better against Italy than England did is absolutely laughable to be honest. Their organisation in that game was superb (barring individual brilliance from Pirlo) Hodgson only had 2 weeks to prepare but managed to show show the english players how to play our system better than we ever did after 4 years.

You say Hoolohan should not be picked as it took him till 29 to reach the EPL, Keith Andrews (our best performer at the euros) didnt feature in the PL until he was 28, and never accounted himself as well as Hoolohan did.

You also mention clark as being inexperienced, yet as a premier leage regualr for two seasons has played infinetly more against better class opposition than St ledger who has not even had one minute game time in the PL, and struggled to even get into a mid table championship team, his lack of international class was very much exposed at the Euros.

Evert aspect of Traps mgmt was a failure in the euros, from preparation, to squad selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, motivation, and ultimately team performance,

it wasnt the results that had many disillusioned, it was the manner of them.

Clark has not been an EPL regular for 2 seasons for a start, he's been in abs out of the team and has played more often in midfield or full back than at centre half. His form over those two seasons has been mixed as well.

My point about Hoolahan is that he wouldn't have made any difference had he been picked, he's a useful player but is limited, there's a reason why it took him that long to get to where he is. Even Lambert last season would only pick him when he had 5 across the middle, any time he went with two up top he was the one sacrificed. It's a nonsense to say he's made a better fist of the EPL than Andrews who played a number of seasons there and had a decent cameo with West Brom
in it last year.

And England were garbage v Italy, they were blessed to get away with nil all. The fact you exclude Pirlo from your argument negates your entire point.

As usual your incessant negatively and dislike for Trap prevents you from having any objectivity whatsoever.
incessant negativity? i actually watch the team play, look at my predictions before the euros and then talk about objectivty, most of my concerns came to fruition, the signs were there there for a long time, and characterised by a truly underwheling qualifying campaign, at full time at the luzhniki stadium we had resigned oursleves to not even being in the playoff position, only to be saved by a fearless performance by that young armenian team.

I disagree re England, although outclassed they were well organised and  played with heart and courage, and there was a general feeling of pride rather than bewilderment in the manner in which they went out.

Compare that when we played italy, with no pressure and nothing to lose. dead as a dodo, with only the desire of ketih andrews on show which culminated in getting sent of out of frustration.

i don't have a dislike for trap, im just not distracted by the bright lights of his reputation, i call a spade a spade whether their surname if kerr of Trapattoni.
Citizen-
You are spot on for a change with everthing you have said in your postClap
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Quote only to be saved by a fearless performance by that young armenian team.

Wrong.

[quote]

are you having a laugh ? credibility at zero at this , if it wasnt for that armenian win it was all over for us , it changed the whole dynamic of the group , madness to think otherwise ,

its the point in russia that was irrelevant

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 1:45pm

only to be saved by a fearless performance by that young armenian team.

Wrong.

how could you view it any other way, on paper we had to get a win against Russia as we fooked up against slovakia at home a few days earlier, it was expected that slovakia would beat armenia, and if that happened, it was highly unlikely we would have even got a playoff spot. those are the facts, please enlighten me on their inaccuracies. I remember leaving the Luzniki stadium with 100s of other Irish fans resigned to us not qualifying.

I disagree re England, although outclassed they were well organised and  played with heart and courage, and there was a general feeling of pride rather than bewilderment in the manner in which they went out.

News to me. Shocked

As soon as they lost the shootout, the Brits admitted the result was deserved, and they spent the following week wailing why they didn't change tactics and personnel on the night.
they lamented their lack of perceived technique and talked about grass-roots development but Hodgson was praised for the manner in which he managed the team, as he was deemd to have exceeded expectations.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 6:12pm

incessant negativity? i actually watch the team play, at full time at the luzhniki stadium we had resigned oursleves to not even being in the playoff position

Now that is incessant negativity.

I wanted that point out there, just as Trap did, and was almost doing cartwheels when we got it. Star

Quote only to be saved by a fearless performance by that young armenian team.

Wrong.

Quote I disagree re England, although outclassed they were well organised and  played with heart and courage, and there was a general feeling of pride rather than bewilderment in the manner in which they went out.

News to me. Shocked

As soon as they lost the shootout, the Brits admitted the result was deserved, and they spent the following week wailing why they didn't change tactics and personnel on the night.
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:50pm
 It was the early blunders of an unfit Shay Given that lost those games for us.  
5 goals to go Robbie!
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:46pm
Completely Agree Citizen!!
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:06pm

Hang on a sec Milla.......embarrassed is far too strong a word to use in my opinion.

it was complete mortification in football terms, its one thing playing sh*t on a stick, its another playing thing playing it and still getting walloped, we conttributed absolutely nothing to a marvellous footballing tournament. There was no positives to take from it

Nobody can deny this lads even if you do want Trap to stay. We played 270 minutes of absolutely dreadful stuff. Must be up there with some of the worse performances from a nation at this level.

Can't have seen much tournament football if you think that's the case. Spain was the one game in which we were humiliated. Against Croatia, although they were undoubtedly the better team, the game hinged on two decisions, the one to allow their second goal despite the offside and the foul on Ward and the one not to award a stonewall penalty when Keane was taken down in the box. Those decisions got the other way and we could have been looking at, an admitedly lucky, 2-2 draw. I've seen teams play far worse and sneak something from games like that.

Against Italy the general concensus at the time was that it was an improved performance and we were in the game until Shay had his brain fart and dropped the ball out for the corner they scored from. Despite losing 2-0 in a dead rubber I think we put up a better performance against Italy than England did in their nil all draw for example.

Yes, we looked bereft of ideas and lacked a cutting edge. We also looked to be carrying injuries on our best players in qualoification with Given, Dunne and O'Shea all below par fitness wide. But, as I said at the time if people think that by putting lads such as Hoolahan who took till he was 29 to reach the Premier League or the likes of Clark, Pilkington etc who had less then a seasons worth of top level experience in would have made a blind nit of difference against the quality we had to play then they need their heads checked. The way people go on you'd swear we were leaving Messi at home. Seems that a players ability gets multiplied exponentially every game he doesn't play for Ireland.

Would some of you honestly had been happier if we hadn't qualified, serious question?
your completely missing the point to be honest, the performances in all 3 games were dreadful, you way against italy it was a marked improvement, if creating zero chances in a game which we only playing for pride is a marked improvment, we really need to raise the bar.

Your point about us playing better against Italy than England did is absolutely laughable to be honest. Their organisation in that game was superb (barring individual brilliance from Pirlo) Hodgson only had 2 weeks to prepare but managed to show show the english players how to play our system better than we ever did after 4 years.

You say Hoolohan should not be picked as it took him till 29 to reach the EPL, Keith Andrews (our best performer at the euros) didnt feature in the PL until he was 28, and never accounted himself as well as Hoolohan did.

You also mention clark as being inexperienced, yet as a premier leage regualr for two seasons has played infinetly more against better class opposition than St ledger who has not even had one minute game time in the PL, and struggled to even get into a mid table championship team, his lack of international class was very much exposed at the Euros.

Evert aspect of Traps mgmt was a failure in the euros, from preparation, to squad selection, tactics, substitutions, man management, motivation, and ultimately team performance,

Clark has not been an EPL regular for 2 seasons for a start, he's been in abs out of the team and has played more often in midfield or full back than at centre half. His form over those two seasons has been mixed as well.

My point about Hoolahan is that he wouldn't have made any difference had he been picked, he's a useful player but is limited, there's a reason why it took him that long to get to where he is. Even Lambert last season would only pick him when he had 5 across the middle, any time he went with two up top he was the one sacrificed. It's a nonsense to say he's made a better fist of the EPL than Andrews who played a number of seasons there and had a decent cameo with West Brom
in it last year.

And England were garbage v Italy, they were blessed to get away with nil all. The fact you exclude Pirlo from your argument negates your entire point.

As usual your incessant negatively and dislike for Trap prevents you from having any objectivity whatsoever.
incessant negativity? i actually watch the team play, look at my predictions before the euros and then talk about objectivty, most of my concerns came to fruition, the signs were there there for a long time, and characterised by a truly underwheling qualifying campaign, at full time at the luzhniki stadium we had resigned oursleves to not even being in the playoff position, only to be saved by a fearless performance by that young armenian team.

Compare that when we played italy, with no pressure and nothing to lose. dead as a dodo, with only the desire of ketih andrews on show which culminated in getting sent of out of frustration.

i don't have a dislike for trap, im just not distracted by the bright lights of his reputation, i call a spade a spade whether their surname if kerr of Trapattoni.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 4:37pm

in it last year.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 4:23pm

it was complete mortification in football terms, its one thing playing sh*t on a stick, its another playing thing playing it and still getting walloped, we conttributed absolutely nothing to a marvellous footballing tournament. There was no positives to take from it

Can't have seen much tournament football if you think that's the case.  Spain was the one game in which we were humiliated.  Against Croatia, although they were undoubtedly the better team, the game hinged on two decisions, the one to allow their second goal despite the offside and the foul on Ward and the one not to award a stonewall penalty when Keane was taken down in the box.  Those decisions got the other way and we could have been looking at, an admitedly lucky, 2-2 draw.  I've seen teams play far worse and sneak something from games like that.

Against Italy the general concensus at the time was that it was an improved performance and we were in the game until Shay had his brain fart and dropped the ball out for the corner they scored from.  Despite losing 2-0 in a dead rubber I think we put up a better performance against Italy than England did in their nil all draw for example.

Yes, we looked bereft of ideas and lacked a cutting edge.  We also looked to be carrying injuries on our best players in qualoification with Given, Dunne and O'Shea all below par fitness wide.  But, as I said at the time if people think that by putting lads such as Hoolahan who took till he was 29 to reach the Premier League or the likes of Clark, Pilkington etc who had less then a seasons worth of top level experience in would have made a blind nit of difference against the quality we had to play then they need their heads checked.  The way people go on you'd swear we were leaving Messi at home.  Seems that a players ability gets multiplied exponentially every game he doesn't play for Ireland.

Your point about us playing better against Italy than England did is absolutely laughable to be honest. Their organisation in that game was superb (barring individual brilliance from Pirlo) Hodgson only had 2 weeks to prepare but managed to show show the english players how to play our system better than we ever did after 4 years.

You say Hoolohan should not be picked as it took him till 29 to reach the EPL, Keith Andrews (our best performer at the euros) didnt feature in the PL until he was 28, and never accounted himself as well as Hoolohan did.

You also mention clark as being inexperienced, yet as a premier leage regualr for two seasons has played infinetly more against better class opposition than St ledger who has not even had one minute game time in the PL, and struggled to even get into a mid table championship team, his lack of international class was very much exposed at the Euros.

uibhfhaile View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfhaile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 4:13pm

it was complete mortification in football terms, its one thing playing sh*t on a stick, its another playing thing playing it and still getting walloped, we conttributed absolutely nothing to a marvellous footballing tournament. There was no positives to take from it

Can't have seen much tournament football if you think that's the case.  Spain was the one game in which we were humiliated.  Against Croatia, although they were undoubtedly the better team, the game hinged on two decisions, the one to allow their second goal despite the offside and the foul on Ward and the one not to award a stonewall penalty when Keane was taken down in the box.  Those decisions got the other way and we could have been looking at, an admitedly lucky, 2-2 draw.  I've seen teams play far worse and sneak something from games like that.

Against Italy the general concensus at the time was that it was an improved performance and we were in the game until Shay had his brain fart and dropped the ball out for the corner they scored from.  Despite losing 2-0 in a dead rubber I think we put up a better performance against Italy than England did in their nil all draw for example.

Yes, we looked bereft of ideas and lacked a cutting edge.  We also looked to be carrying injuries on our best players in qualoification with Given, Dunne and O'Shea all below par fitness wide.  But, as I said at the time if people think that by putting lads such as Hoolahan who took till he was 29 to reach the Premier League or the likes of Clark, Pilkington etc who had less then a seasons worth of top level experience in would have made a blind nit of difference against the quality we had to play then they need their heads checked.  The way people go on you'd swear we were leaving Messi at home.  Seems that a players ability gets multiplied exponentially every game he doesn't play for Ireland.

I admire your loyalty 69er but you are looking at our performances through green tinted glasses if you think they were anything but terrible.

DELIGHTED TO HAVE QUALIFIED WITH A FAIRLY AVERAGE TEAM, BUT WHO WORK GREAT FOR EACH OTHER,

You hit the nail on the head up above with "We also looked to be carrying injuries on our best players in qualoification with Given, Dunne and O'Shea all below par fitness wide."My arguement the whole tornament was why were these lads playing if not fit, maybe 1 player you can carry but 3-4 players no matter who they are NO.This has to rub off on the whole team, or as i say did rub off on the whole team.
Im sure fitter players whom were  at the tournament leaving aside "Clark, Pilkington etc" could have done better, This is the small prob trap just dont trust them, so yes we could have played better.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:33pm

I admire your loyalty 69er but you are looking at our performances through green tinted glasses if you think they were anything but terrible.

Not at all, I think the performances were poor and Spain was terrible.  But at 1-1 coming up to half time v Croatia we'd been doing ok for example.  The backlash post tournament has meant that the performaces have become worse and worse on a daily basis and the quality of the opposition has been totally ignored.  People aren't realistic about the talent at our disposal.  As soon as the draw was made back in December I knew we were fooked.  Still travelled in hope but for the first time ever going to a finals I travelled with no expectation and that wasn't down to the manager, it was down to the strength (or lack of) of our squad.  And I didn't see anyone left at home who's have made any difference.
SteviesGranny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteviesGranny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:19pm

Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

I suspect that the manager has lost the dressing room.  During the last campaign, i often wondered if the players drropping out and not turning up were doing so because they knew they had no chance at all of playing. The starting 11 was picked, next came the favourite loyal players and then them. Its not absolving them of blame. Any player who doesnt turn up cannot be right. It seems there is a current crop of about 5 /6 players who are better than the loyal lads but nowhere to be seen. Its alarming that its so high an amount. Also the granny rule player suddenly doesnt want to know about it. Some might say fine. But we have done really well from that Granny rule in the past. I would love to here what the players really think of Trap.
Do I think a new manger can sell out Lansdowne ? unsure. If he played a style of football that had a real go at the opposition at home then i think yes. I still think we had a much better chance of beating Russia in Dublin than Trap thought. We dont have the players in the top 6 in the premiership that are crowd pullers and I would try everything I could to get Pilkington to play. Some may see that as wrong, desperate, but he is worth a few goals from midfield that we dont have.
Trap will never try to convince a player to play. He never had to before and isnt going to start now. But its part of the modern game now. Players are millionaires and dont care., but same could be said of the manager

I'm not one for calling for his head though I think his decisions in Poland were mind-boggling but we were all up in arms saying Trap needed to call in new faces. 

When he named the initial squad for Serbia, he dropped the old-guard, included McCarthy, McClean, Coleman, Wilson who everyone called for.

He was going to call in Brady and Duffy but left them to the U21's.

Then he even called up Hoolahan and Pilkington and tried out a new formation. Trap received zero credit for this.

Ok, how much stock can we put in this game? Well, certainly McCarthy may start in Kazakhstan and McClean might also start or be first off the bench as a direct result of this game. 

Despite my reservations about Trap, I'll give him the credit for these moves.

if Wilson, Hoolahan, and Pilkington are not called up again, would anyone blame the manager?

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:08pm

The main rump of indo group journalists (Fanning in the Sindo & Hyland in the herald in particular) nailed their colours firmly to the Venables mast before Trap was appointed and have had the hump and peddled an agenda ever since. God knows where we'd be had that clown been appointed post Stan.

We're now in a position where after 3 campaigns of not even making a play off the current manager has taken us to a controversial play off exit and a finals where we admittedly underperformed but the entire Trap reign is being judged on those 3 games only, it's skewed logic to say the least.

I don't agree with everything he's done and I think his communication leaves a lot to be desired. I think he should attend more games. But I'm objective enough not to fall into the UK style tabloid witch hunt mentality that seems to be more and more prevalent this side of the water.

Countries such as England and Holland have bombed out of tournaments in similar fashion in the past, it's not unique. And there are no viable alternatives out there in any case, the FAI are in no position to pay off one manager and go search for another, he's here for 2 years, end of story and no amount of bleating from the likes of Fanning and Sadlier will even register on his radar.

Nail. Head. Hit.

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Can't argue with that really. We were clobbered.
But equally, what's not in question is the level of sides we came up against. You cannot treat the two as separate entities. Maybe with a bit of luck we might have gotten something from the Croatian game and that could have given us momentum. But that's clutching at straws. We were outclassed and that includes the manager, who's few sticking plaster attempts failed miserably too.

However, what I will argue is that is was not totally unexpected as the level of player we had to draw upon was vastly inferior to the two teams who got to the final and Croatia have for some time, been hovering about the top eight sides in Europe, somewhere we only briefly went to once in our history, under Charlton.
With this in mind, I believe we overachieved in getting to the the finals.
Even if Trap had indulged some of the fantasies here and from our media, it's very unlikely that results would have been much different. 

The manager had no plan B, That is a cardinal sin in my book.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:02pm

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 21 Aug 2012 at 3:04pm
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 2:38pm

Can't argue with that really. We were clobbered.
But equally, what's not in question is the level of sides we came up against. You cannot treat the two as separate entities. Maybe with a bit of luck we might have gotten something from the Croatian game and that could have given us momentum. But that's clutching at straws. We were outclassed and that includes the manager, who's few sticking plaster attempts failed miserably too.

However, what I will argue is that is was not totally unexpected as the level of player we had to draw upon was vastly inferior to the two teams who got to the final and Croatia have for some time, been hovering about the top eight sides in Europe, somewhere we only briefly went to once in our history, under Charlton.
With this in mind, I believe we overachieved in getting to the the finals.
Even if Trap had indulged some of the fantasies here and from our media, it's very unlikely that results would have been much different. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic