You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What tv show/box set you watching ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 213214215216217 285>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 9:59pm
I read the book Mindhunter and thought it was excellent, so naturally I thought I'd give the highly rated TV show a watch.

A few observations after watching the first episode.

The lead is a pretty bad actor. A lot of the dialogue sounds as if the actors are waiting for each other to finish their sentences and then respond as if reading off a page or some kind of cue. It sounds so rote and stilted. The lead actor is the biggest culprit in this but the writing doesn't help. He also has no chemistry with the love interest - later looked him up and the actor is gay, so go figure.

Which brings me to the love interest. A very modern take on how to write a female character. Self-assured and commanding to the point of being incredibly irritating and off-putting.

It's set in 1977 but nothing looks authentic. It's all too modern looking and slick.

So far, I'm kind of surprised it's so highly rated TBH. I trust that it gets better once the serial killers are introduced. But the lead actor is a charisma vacuum who makes Cary Elwes look like Robert De Niro and it's like the only reason he got the role is because he's LGBT.

You can definitely tell David Fincher's involved creatively. The desaturation is very similar to movies like Seven and Zodiac. And the intro, likewise, is clearly inspired by Seven. Just a pity they had to make it look so modern when it's supposed to be set 40 years ago and considering the gritty subject matter.

It may sound like I hated it but the first episode got better as it went on so, as I alluded to earlier, I'll persevere and hope I enjoy it more once Kemper et al. are in it.

Because, right now, there's as many cons as there is pros.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 12:08pm
El Puto Amo
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 10:06am
just watched an old love joy episode there, Saturday morning tv rubbish viewing, love it. This one was set in Ireland, cue obligatory  pub scene with godawful oirish ballad  band  jaysus! Merry ploughboy or something,  but the extras in the background all serious faced listening to pure bollocks, hilarious stuff.
No Pasaran!
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 12:04am
The Untold series on Netflix is excellent, 2 unbelievable sports documentaries released so far and 3 more to come which they are releasing weekly, probably helped that I knew nothing of either of the stories released so far before watching them! But they’re brilliantly made. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 8:45am
Clarksons Farm is great. 2 episodes left i think 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:08am
Watch both series of The Boys on Prime over the past couple of weeks and really liked it. Wouldn't be into Marvel superhero stuff so didn't expect to like this but can't argue with the amount of heads that explode in it.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:20am
Not a huge basketball fan* but I thought The Last Dance was superb. There's a lot of episodes and it gets confusing how the timeline jumps back and forth all the time but the pace never relents. It also gives me newfound appreciation for just how impressive the sport is - almost balletic at times in its athleticism and trajectory.

Despite almost getting the sh*t kicked out of me at MSG concourse after a Knicks game by someone who must have been at least 7 ft. tall because my friend loudly burped right behind this guy and his partner. And I'm not exaggerating about the height either. I'm at least 6'3 and this guy made me look like a child.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:23am
Cool story bro
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:25am
πŸ˜‚
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Cool story bro
LOL

Tells some tales this ladLOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
Brooklyn Nine Nine Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Watch both series of The Boys on Prime over the past couple of weeks and really liked it. Wouldn't be into Marvel superhero stuff so didn't expect to like this but can't argue with the amount of heads that explode in it.

Same as myself, didn't think I'd like it but it's very good. 

Butcher Cool
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Brooklyn Nine Nine Clap

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Brooklyn Nine Nine Clap

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

I think it is focking sh*te. Granted, i havent ever watched more than 5 mins. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

If you liked The Boys Invincible is probably worth a watch if you haven't seen it already already, its also an Amazon Original series. Very similar but its animated with a decent voice cast. Sort like They Boys meet Bojack Horseman. I really enjoyed and im not big into animated shows.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 4:36pm
Malice at the Palace, pretty good show about the Pistons and the Pacers and the riot that followed when Artest ran into the crowd to punch the wrong person. Jermaine O' Neal comes across pretty good and its kind of a tragedy he never won the championship. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:08pm
I'm enjoying snowfall on Disneyplus at the minute.

Drama set around the crack cocaine scene in 80s LA. Likeable characters, good humour. Political angle with via funding contras in Nicaragua. Two seasons of four watched. Would recommend.

Its also on bbc iplayer of you use a vpn. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2021 at 12:57am
Been slim pickings on telly lately imo. Stumbled upon 11.22.63 and really enjoying it so far. Sci fi / triller/ drama with premise: man finds portal back to 1960 and sets out to prevent the assassination of JFK. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 19 Aug 2021 at 12:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 213214215216217 285>
  Share Topic