You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What tv show/box set you watching ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 285>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Started 'Normal People' there as herself wants to watch it, when did detention come into Irish schools? Did others have this? 

Yes, had it in my day. An "after school" it was known as

I meant in Ireland, I know they have it in Britain.  Never heard of it back home.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:43pm

Started 'Normal People' there as herself wants to watch it, when did detention come into Irish schools? Did others have this? 

I meant in Ireland, I know they have it in Britain.  Never heard of it back home.

Not being smart, but you   must be quite young.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

There couldn't have been detention in my school as the buses out to the villages and parishes near the town left straight after school. I know the schools in other towns in my area were the same. Never heard of it in Cork either, though I guess I never thought of it. Assumed all schools were the same, bar the posh ones.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:17pm

There couldn't have been detention in my school as the buses out to the villages and parishes near the town left straight after school. I know the schools in other towns in my area were the same. Never heard of it in Cork either, though I guess I never thought of it. Assumed all schools were the same, bar the posh ones.
Same with us up in borderland. There was detention at lunch time in some cases but never after school. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:35pm

Detention can be added to the long list of things you’ve never heard of then, alongside probably most types of modern technology, any latest popular app, or current pop band/singer 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Apr 2020 at 11:35pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:47pm

Detention can be added to the long list of things you’ve never heard of then, alongside probably most types of modern technology, any latest popular app, or current pop band/singer 
And illiteracy can be added to yours. I clearly stated I heard of it, that would be silly, just not in local schools and community colleges. I knew it was in schools in Britain, France and the USA, at least. It just struck me as not being very Irish and, given this is set in Ireland, by an Irish writer, it made it feel inauthentic. 

I am, despite my love of the internet, a bit of a luddite, by choice. I also think we have gone backwards socially since the turn of the century, with  popular applications being a major factor. Although, in saying that, I actually once thought that social media would be a force for social good.

As I don't listen to the radio, bar Radio 6, occasionally, and rely on music magazines, websites, Spotify recommendations and a couple of friends I trust for music, I tend to avoid the sort of mainstream sh*te that passes for music. Maybe I am missing out, but having heard Ed Sheeran and Lewis Capaldi, and being unable to tell the difference, I think I will survive. Still, a lot of the bands I do like seem to be popular enough, judging be the interest in seeing them at gigs and festivals. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Apr 2020 at 12:06am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Same with us up in borderland. There was detention at lunch time in some cases but never after school. 
Sure all of us 'townies' (population about 3,500 at the timeLOL) used to go home for lunch. Did they feed you if they kept you in?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Yeah we had detention but it tended to be at lunchtime not after school as people got buses from up to 30km away
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 1:02am

I've just finished Gangs of London. It's preposterous. It has more "ah here" moments in it's 9 episodes than you'd usually get in 9 series of a show, and yet I really enjoyed it.

I watched the first episode and felt the fight scenes were like something out no retreat no surrender or karate kid or some
It stuff from the 80s we loved as teenagers.  I can’t see myself staying with it having red your post.  

I am watching city in the hill and like it.  Kevin bacon is excellent 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:00am
Anyone watching Get Shorty? Chris O'Dowd plays a likeable American gangster. Good show
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:23am
After Life season 2 is amazing. Its so dark but jesus its good.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:25am
No detention in my time at O'Connell's CBS

The Leather 
'lines' .. you had to write 'i must not talk / laugh / whatever in class' hundred times or more

foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:57am

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Sure all of us 'townies' (population about 3,500 at the timeLOL) used to go home for lunch. Did they feed you if they kept you in?

Got plenty of detention at Lunch time, you got a days notice though to sort lunch.. Looking back I doubt some substitute teacher really cared if we were there or not
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:34am
Detention was Saturday mornings for us
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I've just finished Gangs of London. It's preposterous. It has more "ah here" moments in it's 9 episodes than you'd usually get in 9 series of a show, and yet I really enjoyed it.

I watched the first episode and felt the fight scenes were like something out no retreat no surrender or karate kid or some
It stuff from the 80s we loved as teenagers.  I can’t see myself staying with it having red your post.  

I am watching city in the hill and like it.  Kevin bacon is excellent 

Jaysus. You must have watched a much more violent version of The Karate Kid than me! I don't think the action scenes are anything alike.

Look, the action scenes, of which there are plenty, are excellent. That was enough to keep me engaged. Obviously that won't be the case for everyone.

Edited by Paulie - 30 Apr 2020 at 8:40am
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:42am

Ah, fair point. I never even thought of the poor country folk.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:42am
After Life 2 was great. Didn’t think they’d have anything for a second series but it was bloody excellent.

Finished bachelors walk which was great but the xmas special some years later was f**king awful. It’s like they forgot how to act.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Detention was Saturday mornings for us
Same. Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 285>
  Share Topic