You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What tv show/box set you watching ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 283>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

After Life on Netflix started tonight, Ricky Gervais new creation. 

It's f**king brilliant Clap

Watched the first 3 episodes last night. Class.

Episode 5 is up there with The Royle Family's Queen of Sheeba, absolutely magnificent, pissed myself laughing and sobbed unashamedly.

Superb.
watched the first 2 eps this morning in work and gonna stick the 3rd on now. Excellent stuff. 
I had to take a break after episode four. I bawled like a baby. I haven't been moved that much by television in a long time.
Just finished the series now, absolutely fantastic viewing, dark, funny, sad, witty and real. Clap
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:27pm
Great show. Gervais at the top of his game. Very funny and just as much as sad. Pulls at the heart strings
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:11am
So you're telling me he's finally done something decent where he doesn't come across as a self-indulgent kunt, where it's all about him?

Is he actually a different character from just being himself, robbing a living, in the office, extras, or derek? He's a f**king arsewipe.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:58am
I never really got the Gervais hatred.The Office and Extras were very good shows. The best thing he ever did were the podcasts with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Derek was over indulgent rubbish. I don't agree with his atheist evangelism and he's big headed and cocky but at least he has talent to back it up.Piers Morgan shares the same traits and has none.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 1:16am
The Office has aged now, it probably wasn't helped by that atrocious American rip-off, as well as the umpteen American comedies that have been spawned off the back of it, all of them dreadful,  but it would be harsh to blame Gervais for that. It would be like blaming Sigur Ros or Mogwai for Bon Iver. Extras was incredibly arrogant but hilarious, as were his stand-ups from that time. Everything in between those and 'After Life' was self-indulgent, arrogant and just not funny. Stephan Merchant is  only famous because of Gervais, he is one of the least funny famous people. The only famous person who I can think of who is less funny is Paddy McGuiness, who is only famous because of Peter Kay. 
Karl Pilkington is an idiot, an idiot is funny for five minutes. Laughing at people laughing at an idiot, isn't funny, especially as I would rather have Pilkington on my quiz team than Merchant, who is as intelligent as he is funny.

Anyway, 'Derek' and all the other terrible bollocks, including those f**king awful films, are forgiven now. His last stand-up on Netflix was great too. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 15 Mar 2019 at 1:16am
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I never really got the Gervais hatred.The Office and Extras were very good shows. The best thing he ever did were the podcasts with Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Derek was over indulgent rubbish. I don't agree with his atheist evangelism and he's big headed and cocky but at least he has talent to back it up.Piers Morgan shares the same traits and has none.

I agree with everything there, the radio and podcast shows are superb!

I tried watching Derek on more then one occasion and thought it was a load of sh*te!

Looking forward to giving the new show a watch though!
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:18am
Would highly recommend The fear of 13,or evil genius if anyone hasn't seen them.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:18pm
The series on the F1 is worth watching. Madeline McCann series looks like it'll be a decent watch too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The series on the F1 is worth watching. Madeline McCann series looks like it'll be a decent watch too.

Watched the first couple. Very good to be inside the action. Spiked my interest to maybe watch this season . Use to follow it religiously in the late 90's, early 00's
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 4:09am
I'd be the same, used to love it when I was younger but would have minimal interest in it these days. Makes you really appreciate the part the backroom team play in the races.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
adrianpotter View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrianpotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:29pm
My top:
1. Game of Thrones = watching currently on HBO
2. The Walking Dead = just awesome! ​​​​​​​
3. The Flash = watching now

Also I like The Big Bang Theory

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by adrianpotter adrianpotter wrote:

My top:
1. Game of Thrones = watching currently on HBO
2. The Walking Dead = just awesome! ​​​​​​​
3. The Flash = watching now

Also I like The Big Bang Theory

What a first post!LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:50pm
Dear White People- Series 2 on Netflix.

Really good stuff.

I don’t like The Big Bang Theory.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Really good stuff.

In my head there are three categories of American sitcoms: the ones that I find funny, with a good cast and well-written; the ones I don't find funny but have either good writers, cast and production and those that are completely unwatchable.

I would put the 'Big Bang' in the second category. I have rarely found it more than wryly amusing and while the acting isn't amazing, they are all extremely suitable to their rules. They have recreated 'Friends' with geeks, essentially. It is suitable to watch when you are hungover or in a similar frame of mind. I don't really believe you should feel guilty for watching anything, but it would probably class as a 'guilty pleasure', or my preferred term; 'I know it is sh*te, but I can watch it'.

What is more worrying is the rise of shows that have been inspired by the American 'Office', which itself was an abomination.
I mean shows like 'Brooklyn Nine Nine' and 'Parks and Recreation'. They all seem to be terribly written and not in anyway funny, but worse still is they are shot in that awful mockumentary style camera angle that only highlights how unfunny they are, and are dreadfully overacted. It is like the whole thing is supposed to be funny because the realistic situation of the comedy is juxtaposed by the ridiculous situation the characters have got themselves in. You can watch thirty seconds of these shows  on mute and know exactly what they are.   It makes me miss the awful, middle-of-the-road sitcoms like 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Two and a Half Men'. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:46pm

Really good stuff.

In my head there are three categories of American sitcoms: the ones that I find funny, with a good cast and well-written; the ones I don't find funny but have either good writers, cast and production and those that are completely unwatchable.

I would put the 'Big Bang' in the second category. I have rarely found it more than wryly amusing and while the acting isn't amazing, they are all extremely suitable to their rules. They have recreated 'Friends' with geeks, essentially. It is suitable to watch when you are hungover or in a similar frame of mind. I don't really believe you should feel guilty for watching anything, but it would probably class as a 'guilty pleasure', or my preferred term; 'I know it is sh*te, but I can watch it'.

What is more worrying is the rise of shows that have been inspired by the American 'Office', which itself was an abomination.
I mean shows like 'Brooklyn Nine Nine' and 'Parks and Recreation'. They all seem to be terribly written and not in anyway funny, but worse still is they are shot in that awful mockumentary style camera angle that only highlights how unfunny they are, and are dreadfully overacted. It is like the whole thing is supposed to be funny because the realistic situation of the comedy is juxtaposed by the ridiculous situation the characters have got themselves in. You can watch thirty seconds of these shows  on mute and know exactly what they are.   It makes me miss the awful, middle-of-the-road sitcoms like 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Two and a Half Men'. 

I feel a lot of rubbish is being allowed to thrive at the moment, notwithstanding how good a lot of TV is. Comedy gets away with it, especially as comedy is subjective, and while some people like to watch Blackadder, others would rather listen to Roy “Chubby” Brown. You can cater for any intellect with comedy and that is how the likes of “Parks and Recreation” are so popular. It appeals to a certain type of humour.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:34pm

Really good stuff.

I feel a lot of rubbish is being allowed to thrive at the moment, notwithstanding how good a lot of TV is. Comedy gets away with it, especially as comedy is subjective, and while some people like to watch Blackadder, others would rather listen to Roy “Chubby” Brown. You can cater for any intellect with comedy and that is how the likes of “Parks and Recreation” are so popular. It appeals to a certain type of humour.
I think the reason a lot of 'rubbish' is allowed to thrive is the amount of choice. You have more channels and streaming platforms than ever before and with a lower level of quality control. In Britain, and as a result in Ireland as most of the most popular sitcoms in Ireland, certainly in terms of viewing figures have been made by the BBC which had a mantra of 'educate, entertain and inform'. On top of that, you had the biggest shows from America, which in the past at least, were of a certain quality, even if they weren't necessarily to everyone's taste.
Comedy might be subjective, but there is no doubt that U.S. comedies like 'M*A*S*H' and 'Cheers' were very well made and shows like 'Friends', which is easy to mock now, but was incredibly original and really caught the zeitgeist of the '90s.  You add Channel 4's ability to fill in  the more 'alternative' comedy gaps left by the BBC (ITV have had comparatively few successes in comedy) and the quality control was much tighter. 
That's why we have this perception, a perception I have fallen to myself on occasion, that there is fewer good comedies now, which I don't think is true. All audiences are catered for now, but it does mean that you have to search a bit more for what you enjoy, take a chance with an episode of something you know you might not enjoy based on very little, or start trusting friends or critics. Essentially, there are far more comedies now. We are able to see more comedies from all over the English speaking world and occasionally beyond. In 1999, there were probably 50 sitcoms that I could watchregularly  and at very set times. There are probably that many on either of Netflix or Amazon Prime alone.

Roy 'Chubby' Brown would probably  have a bigger market now as there are more platforms for him. Even at his peak he was a 'live' or 'video' comedian. I can only remember him being on television a few times. He would probably have  a couple of sitcoms if he was at his peak now. ! He fell down between the cracks(he would enjoy that!) a little bit as he was never going to be considered at the BBC and was never going to appeal to the market Channel 4 were aiming themselves at. He also would have thrived on Brexit and all that it has come to mean.
He was excellent in one of my favourite ever sitcoms, 'The League of Gentlemen', which showed at least he could take a joke at himself. He is still a **** though, which is why they called a town full of ****s after him.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:55pm
Anyone watching "Race Across the World" on BBC2?

Concept is simple: teams have to get from London to Singapore without flying, for the cost of the equivalent air fare. A few other rules like no smartphones, no credit cards.

The next episode is starting in five minutes.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:32pm
It is a great concept and I tried to watch the first episode, but that old woman was exasperating. Her friend should be given a prize if she can get to Singapore without killing her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 283>
  Share Topic