You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emerging Talent Programme -FAI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:44pm
the irony of someone admitting they're not an expert, and then going on to tell people how to do their own jobs.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Kingkeano16 Kingkeano16 wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

7 of my players have been a part of this for 4 or 5 years now, and when I started to do basic ball mastery skills with them that 6 and 7 year olds can do comfortably, they were struggling big time...

Very unusual, but I suppose that the standard of coaches isn't the same all around the country.. Also, I think Donegal may have hit a purple patch in the '95 '96 sections, which could be masking the situation. I know the coach of these lads is very very good and I know one player personally who has gained a lot out of being part of this.

That's not to say he hasn't worked his ass off on his own too.. 

I understand from your previous comments, you are a coach and can see things that maybe we don't but that's just my view from looking on at the emerging Talent in Donegal.
Not unusual at all. I saw first hand last year the winning Kennedy Cup squad from the NDSL get a technical session from a Pro Coach. He had to change the session becuase they could do absolutely none of the ball mastery he was doing.

The lads who came back to our club from the emerging talent were way ahead of the others in terms of ball control.. But you seem to be forgetting that the sole responsibility of that kennedy cup team is not just the emerging talents, it's the individual clubs and that is where most kids develop their skills and that is where the problem lies. 
I've not seen that personally. I'm not blaming the ET Coaches, they have limited contact hours. I'm criticising the lack of a technical programme here.
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 6:05pm
Mayo Mark, 

I agree that we need to have a uniform programme, whereby kids aged 6 will receive the same type of coaching across the country. Same small sided games and focus on simple skills. 

There should be a uniform approach from then right through to u-18. Scrap the competitive u-12 stage and implement a version of the 'Go Games' that the GAA have brought in.

Every kid should have a football at training and not one between seven or eight. Go to most u-8 and u-10 trainings and it's like a circus. Not all the coaches fault, not enough emphasis on educating coaches, and as MM said, perhaps the FAI need educating too..

Still too much emphasis on size and strength.. Emerging Talent programmes to start at u-13 and a detailed record of improvement/achievement to be recorded throughout the year.
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 6:06pm

Mayo Mark, 

I agree that we need to have a uniform programme, whereby kids aged 6 will receive the same type of coaching across the country. Same small sided games and focus on simple skills.  Agreed

There should be a uniform approach from then right through to u-18. Scrap the competitive u-12 stage and implement a version of the 'Go Games' that the GAA have brought in. Agreed

Every kid should have a football at training and not one between seven or eight. Go to most u-8 and u-10 trainings and it's like a circus. Not all the coaches fault, not enough emphasis on educating coaches, and as MM said, perhaps the FAI need educating too.. Agreed

Still too much emphasis on size and strength.. Agreed

Emerging Talent programmes to start at u-13 and a detailed record of improvement/achievement to be recorded throughout the year.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 12:20pm
very interesting ionterview with a fella called antonio moreno on newstalk off the ball last night , you can listen to it on the podcast, it pretty much rubbishes what delaney said on the paper on sunday
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Gino Ginelli View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gino Ginelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 2:42pm
Emerging talent starts at 11 in Wexford and I'd say it's the same in other leagues. All clubs are given the chance to send players to the trials. Training can be once or twice a week.

The regional emerging talent squads starts after the Kennedy Cup so players would be 13 or 14.

There is no great source of qualified coaches in Wexford so its basically up to those who have an interested in doing some courses. The players are limited by the coaches they have. 

The Wexford Kennedy cup team this year had a great group of coaches who have brought the lads through from 11. They got to the final and lost out to DDSL who got a late goal. It goes to show you what can be done. Wexford's previous best position was 8th! 
JuanNil View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuanNil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:22pm
Saw that Wexford Kennedy Cup team play a friendly against Tipp.

Arent all but one of the coaches Dubs?
Shes got a head like Liam Brady
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Gino Ginelli Gino Ginelli wrote:

Emerging talent starts at 11 in Wexford and I'd say it's the same in other leagues. All clubs are given the chance to send players to the trials. Training can be once or twice a week.

The regional emerging talent squads starts after the Kennedy Cup so players would be 13 or 14.

There is no great source of qualified coaches in Wexford so its basically up to those who have an interested in doing some courses. The players are limited by the coaches they have. 

The Wexford Kennedy cup team this year had a great group of coaches who have brought the lads through from 11. They got to the final and lost out to DDSL who got a late goal. It goes to show you what can be done. Wexford's previous best position was 8th! 

this lad moreno said the formative years are 6-13 , so its already too late to start at 11
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Gino Ginelli View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gino Ginelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by JuanNil JuanNil wrote:

Saw that Wexford Kennedy Cup team play a friendly against Tipp.

Arent all but one of the coaches Dubs?
No. There might have been 1 or 2 dubs with them alright but they had about 6 coaches altogether. Most from Wexford.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

this lad moreno said the formative years are 6-13 , so its already too late to start at 11

I can name 10 technically brilliant, and I mean brilliant, kids we have with Coerver all over the west. The FAI don't even know they exist.
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 7:29pm

I can name 10 technically brilliant, and I mean brilliant, kids we have with Coerver all over the west. The FAI don't even know they exist.

Self explanatory LOL

Technically gifted don't win games but the big centre half/midfielder can. Angry
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 1:10am

Have these kids been sent to trials for the ETP? If not, I imagine the FAI do not know anything about them because they have never seen them play, not exactly their fault. Have you (or their coaches) informed anyone from the FAI how good these kids are?
Mourinho View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mourinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:01pm
The Cavan Monaghan Emerging Talent is excellently run and a prime example how things should be done. I know its not about winning but developing players but, our U112s last year won the Foyle Cup in Derry. Compared to some of our opponents our pool to select from was tiny so the coaching must have been the key. Our U-14 Kennedy Cup team came 9th winning the bowl in Limerick and considering my last point is a remarkable achievement considering some dublin clubs have a bigger pool than our entire league. They train once a week, on the Excellent Monaghan United Astro facility at Gortakeegan which is the Regional Dev Centre for Cavan/Monaghan
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Have these kids been sent to trials for the ETP? If not, I imagine the FAI do not know anything about them because they have never seen them play, not exactly their fault. Have you (or their coaches) informed anyone from the FAI how good these kids are?

Nope. Too young for emerging talent, which is the problem. Starts too late. Not the coaches' fault, FAI's
Le God View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Le God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:45pm
Just wondering lads how successful is this emerging talent programme nowadays!!
I remember when i was playing our Kennedy cup team has Andy Reid, Graham Barrett, Keith Foy, were some names' i remember wes hoolahan couldn't get in the team at that time. Andy went on to get many Irish caps Graham got a couple of goals for Ireland and Keith had a successful 2 season with decent forest team, but since then i don't remember many player coming through the Irish ranks.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:06pm
They're discussing this on OTB on newstalk after 9pm tonight
for those interested.
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:49pm

anyone on here been involved in it ? anyones kid's get picked?

i played for the sdfl team for a year...only goes up until U-14s
Le God View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Le God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 8:50pm

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Nope. Too young for emerging talent, which is the problem. Starts too late. Not the coaches' fault, FAI's
When i was doing the youth-cert recently, The FAI coaches said they want to take over clubs the way Spain do and coach the way Spain do, but cant because of the committees on the ddsl, ndfl, sdfl and the rest of committees in Ireland wont let them,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic