Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emerging Talent Programme -FAI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emerging Talent Programme -FAI
    Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:41pm
lads can you fill me in on this ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:46pm
Roger Its hosted by Ant and Dec and previous judges included The Hoff , Amanda Holden and Simon Cowell - I think a dog won it this year Wink
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:53pm
I was familiar with how it worked from about four years ago,

The best players in the various schoolboy leagues were brought together in regional centres once a week where they received expert coaching from FAI coaches including topics such as nutrition etc. 

I've since heard that some of the regional centres have been stopped and players are now only brought together once a month. 

I'm not close enough to it now to comment except to say it's still too early to see any results from players coming through.

There was concern among schoolboy coaches that once the players hit youth level, there was no extra step and they were hoping LOI clubs would be the next step on the ladder but from what I can tell this has not happened and I know of many cases where players involved fell away and are now back playing junior football. 

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 1:07pm
now its the best players from the schoolboy panels ie the ddsl,tipp schoolboys,kildare schoolboys etc who make the step up,then then best of those are moved onto the international underage teams....think it only starts at under 14's here.....way to late.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

now its the best players from the schoolboy panels ie the ddsl,tipp schoolboys,kildare schoolboys etc who make the step up,then then best of those are moved onto the international underage teams....think it only starts at under 14's here.....way to late.

Ya far too late.  needs to start at U-8's or at the very least U-10's IMO to work properly.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 1:27pm
anyone on here been involved in it ? anyones kid's get picked?
JuanNil View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuanNil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 1:47pm
As I said in another thread, 2 kids from our under 14s went last year - the 2 coaches sons! 1 was a fair enough shout but the other shouldn't have been there at all.

Dunno about how the development trials are run elsewhere but in Waterford it's a complete joke.

We came up against a young lad for the last 2 seasons in the league who is as near to Richard Dunne as the league is ever likely to find. It was obvious no one from the dev squad had ever been to see him play as in the trials they played him left wing!!

My heart broke for the young lad. I said it to his own teams coaches and they just couldn't believe it
Shes got a head like Liam Brady
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:18pm
I would be familiar with the one in Donegal and have been to a couple of their matches. It's a great system in theory but as other posters have said, it comes too late and face time is only once a week and lads are relying on sub par coaching at their clubs.

That said, having watched one of their games, the emphasis is really on ball retention and 'keepers never hit it long. They get great coaching in terms of formations, tactics, positional sense that they wouldn't get at clubs. Coaches are top notch, we just need to try and this started sooner and have more time dedicated to each player.

I know in Donegal there has been a big increase in the number of lads heading across the water. Can't say if this is a factor though...
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!
trapnoclue View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Eh, make that suspended 11 times now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapnoclue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:36pm

im no expert on how things should be done but why not a gaa style system, the best kids in each county got together from u 8 to u 16 in development squad like system and coached twice a week not once a bloody month,what use is that.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:12pm
It's once a week to be fair, and the GAA system is roughly the same.. The problem is that these kids go back to their clubs and that's where the problem lies. They are not being coached to a high enough standard. Seeing proper coaching once a week shows how bad their own training is.. Most kids have to train themselves or put in a lot of work themselves during the week.

The introduction of the new U-19 league is good, it is giving lads a good platform IMO.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Kingkeano16 Kingkeano16 wrote:

It's once a week to be fair, and the GAA system is roughly the same.. The problem is that these kids go back to their clubs and that's where the problem lies. They are not being coached to a high enough standard. Seeing proper coaching once a week shows how bad their own training is.. Most kids have to train themselves or put in a lot of work themselves during the week.

so KK16 what you are saying is if the coaches tagged along and saw what was being done then they could bring the knowledge back to their clubs , right ?

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 4:21pm
7 of my players have been a part of this for 4 or 5 years now, and when I started to do basic ball mastery skills with them that 6 and 7 year olds can do comfortably, they were struggling big time...
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

so KK16 what you are saying is if the coaches tagged along and saw what was being done then they could bring the knowledge back to their clubs , right ?

Think the FAI need to do a big drive in educating coaches at clubs all around the country and that would have an impact..
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:18pm

Think the FAI need to do a big drive in educating coaches at clubs all around the country and that would have an impact..
They actually need to educate themselves first
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

7 of my players have been a part of this for 4 or 5 years now, and when I started to do basic ball mastery skills with them that 6 and 7 year olds can do comfortably, they were struggling big time...

Very unusual, but I suppose that the standard of coaches isn't the same all around the country.. Also, I think Donegal may have hit a purple patch in the '95 '96 sections, which could be masking the situation. I know the coach of these lads is very very good and I know one player personally who has gained a lot out of being part of this.

That's not to say he hasn't worked his ass off on his own too.. 

I understand from your previous comments, you are a coach and can see things that maybe we don't but that's just my view from looking on at the emerging Talent in Donegal.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:21pm

Very unusual, but I suppose that the standard of coaches isn't the same all around the country.. Also, I think Donegal may have hit a purple patch in the '95 '96 sections, which could be masking the situation. I know the coach of these lads is very very good and I know one player personally who has gained a lot out of being part of this.

I understand from your previous comments, you are a coach and can see things that maybe we don't but that's just my view from looking on at the emerging Talent in Donegal.
Not unusual at all. I saw first hand last year the winning Kennedy Cup squad from the NDSL get a technical session from a Pro Coach. He had to change the session becuase they could do absolutely none of the ball mastery he was doing.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:22pm

Exactly and they need to revamp the whole club system to develop larger clubs with proper facilities, proper coaching and then you will see results, but that is a long term strategy, which will take 10-20 years to see the results.
I know nothing :-)
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:34pm

Not unusual at all. I saw first hand last year the winning Kennedy Cup squad from the NDSL get a technical session from a Pro Coach. He had to change the session becuase they could do absolutely none of the ball mastery he was doing.

The lads who came back to our club from the emerging talent were way ahead of the others in terms of ball control.. But you seem to be forgetting that the sole responsibility of that kennedy cup team is not just the emerging talents, it's the individual clubs and that is where most kids develop their skills and that is where the problem lies. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic