You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flying after Appendectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flying after Appendectomy
    Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 11:49am
Nightmare Situation. Had keyhole surgery to remove my appendix on sunday morning, I'm due to fly to the Euros tomorrow evening.  MY GP rang me last night to say I should leave it 7 days before flying due to gases etc., however online British Airways site amongst others states that they allow passengers to fly 4 days after an appendectomy. Also other sites say that an appendectomy is a minor abdominal surgery and would need less time to go and fly than the 10 days they recommend for other abdominal surgeries. 

Anyone have any experience or advice for this situation?? I'm trying to decide whether to take my flight tomorrow or book a flight for the weekend/start of next week instead.

Edited by sheasy - 06 Jun 2012 at 11:54am
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:00pm
No idea, but check your insurance, if something was to happen the insurance company might not pay out if you are flying against your doctor's advice.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:01pm
If it was me I'd take the gamble
But if you can get a reasonable flight a few days later you would probably be better off for ease of mind at least
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 2:00pm
Cheers lads, forgot to add in that both my doctor in the hospital who performed and surgery and nurses both stated that I would be fine to fly and never even mentioned to me that there may be trouble in the slightest!
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 3:23pm
f**k it so, off you go, I'd take the word of the surgeon over a GP any day.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 3:42pm

I advise against it. I got mine out and after a week they found out that what had leaked got into my stomach. If yours didn't break...eh well... I'm not a doctor.

Edited by corkery - 06 Jun 2012 at 3:43pm
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 3:52pm
Generally doctors will err on the side of caution for these sort of things....as long as you have been resting and taking it easy up until flight time and then get the flight, i would suspect it should be okay, but i would take it handy for first two days in poland*....

*I am not a doctor, so i will ask Lurleen what she thinks,..she's a nurse and might have better opinion than the rest of us.
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

Generally doctors will err on the side of caution for these sort of things....as long as you have been resting and taking it easy up until flight time and then get the flight, i would suspect it should be okay, but i would take it handy for first two days in poland*....

*I am not a doctor, so i will ask Lurleen what she thinks,..she's a nurse and might have better opinion than the rest of us.

Cheers Windbag, all replies appreciated lads.  Yeah to be honest I was dead set on flying tomorrow until  my GP rang and voiced her concerns, the Surgeon and Nurses in the hospital seemed more interested in getting me out of there as quick as possible.  Feeling a bit stiff in my stomach and quite gassy so still really have no idea what to do
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I advise against it. I got mine out and after a week they found out that what had leaked got into my stomach. If yours didn't break...eh well... I'm not a doctor.

Had your appendix ruptured corkery??
mine had come very close to rupturing but hadn't actually reached that point, which is why only keyhole and not full opening me up was needed.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by sheasy sheasy wrote:

mine had come very close to rupturing but hadn't actually reached that point, which is why only keyhole and not full opening me up was needed.
Ya it did, broke a day or two before I knew it. I got the keyhole surgery and they said it looked like it didn't spread, a week later I got sick on the way out of hospital and they put some tube thingy in me to get the posion out. You said yours didn't rupture so you won't have the hassle I had.

Missed the cup final over it LOL
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:36pm

Ya it did, broke a day or two before I knew it. I got the keyhole surgery and they said it looked like it didn't spread, a week later I got sick on the way out of hospital and they put some tube thingy in me to get the posion out. You said yours didn't rupture so you won't have the hassle I had.

Missed the cup final over it LOL

Ah well sure jasus I dunno now, they didnt say it ruptured they just said it was very nasty but were able to keep it to keyhole. I had the tube thing in me (to get rid of the excess blood and other stuff that your probably on about) for the 2 days I was in hospital.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. Toughest decision of my life
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:42pm

Cheers lads, forgot to add in that both my doctor in the hospital who performed and surgery and nurses both stated that I would be fine to fly and never even mentioned to me that there may be trouble in the slightest!

On this advise I would fly. I had brain surgery and I flew about 2 weeks later my GP said not to but my surgeon said I could I went with the surgeons advise. If your really worried ring the surgeon up and just confirm it with him.  
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

On this advise I would fly. I had brain surgery and I flew about 2 weeks later my GP said not to but my surgeon said I could I went with the surgeons advise. If your really worried ring the surgeon up and just confirm it with him.  

Ya cheers SGB trying to get through to my surgeon at the moment, seems he may be finished for the day though.  What would give me the most hope is the fact that on British Airways website (bear in mind im flying with ryanair, but obviously BA are a massive airline) it says that they let passengers fly 4 days after an Appendectomy.  This to me says surely it can't be that much of a risk
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:58pm

Ya cheers SGB trying to get through to my surgeon at the moment, seems he may be finished for the day though.  What would give me the most hope is the fact that on British Airways website (bear in mind im flying with ryanair, but obviously BA are a massive airline) it says that they let passengers fly 4 days after an Appendectomy.  This to me says surely it can't be that much of a risk

Get on to your doctors SHO or one of his team one of them will be doing their rounds. They should give you a call back if you tell them you need urgent enough advise. Did you GP specify a reason for ringing you up and telling you not to fly. did your surgeon contact her or anything ?
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 5:07pm

Get on to your doctors SHO or one of his team one of them will be doing their rounds. They should give you a call back if you tell them you need urgent enough advise. Did you GP specify a reason for ringing you up and telling you not to fly. did your surgeon contact her or anything ?

MY GP was sent through details of my appendectomy by the hospital.  She rang me last night to see how I was getting on, I mentioned Poland, she then told me that I shouldn't fly until 7 days after surgery due to the fact that where my appendix was connected to my bowel has been stitched and these stitches could pop at 30000 feet and this would leave me in serious trouble.  She said she used to work for an airline before she became a GP and 7 days was the airlines policy for this very reason.  all sounds very drastic to me.

Edited by sheasy - 06 Jun 2012 at 5:11pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 5:27pm
You should be fine to fly but just limit your dutch gold intake to 10 cans on the plane.

On a serious note thats a standard caution after any kind of surgery, im sure you ll be fine but do whatever makes ya feel comfortable
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Lurleen Lumpkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurleen Lumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:37pm
Check your travel insurance and make sure you are covered. If you are and your surgeon says it is OK then I would go if I were you. Airlines will always cover their ass no matter what and personally I think this is what their 7 day rule is about. As for your insurance, if they will not cover you then get a letter from your surgeon saying you are fit to fly and that should sort that issue. 
If you had your surgery on Sunday Morning then your stitches will be 5 and a half days old when you fly. After this length of time the wound inside you should be knitting well. Imagine the stitches were on the outside where you could see them. If sutures/stitches are to be removed they will normally be taken out after 7 days (10 if it is not healing or is a very thick piece of flesh you are suturing) but after 5 days the incision/wound will be knitted together and the sutures are there to reinforce it. You would have to be very unlucky to burst them.

However I would advise taking it easy for the first few days over there. If you had laproscopic surgery the surgeon will have used CO2 gas to inflate your tummy. This lets them see where they are going with their camera and little instruments. This gas can shift and this in my opinion is where the only issue with flying may come in. This gas can give you severe shoulder pain but again by day 5 post op this should not be a major issue. Go easy on the booze and eat plenty of proper food (not greasy crap)as you do not want to irritate your gut any more than the surgery already has.

I am not an expert by any means in this matter and I would strongly advise you to follow the advice of your surgeon but if you have any specific questions that you think I may be able to answer then pm me or find me in Poland and buy me a rake of drink. I'll have your share of the grog!!!

Take it easyThumbs Up
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:27pm

Nightmare Situation. Had keyhole surgery to remove my appendix on sunday morning, I'm due to fly to the Euros tomorrow evening.  MY GP rang me last night to say I should leave it 7 days before flying due to gases etc., however online British Airways site amongst others states that they allow passengers to fly 4 days after an appendectomy. Also other sites say that an appendectomy is a minor abdominal surgery and would need less time to go and fly than the 10 days they recommend for other abdominal surgeries. 

Anyone have any experience or advice for this situation?? I'm trying to decide whether to take my flight tomorrow or book a flight for the weekend/start of next week instead.

Sheasy go across to The Grange consume at least eight vodkas, head to the airport and get Zeno to hold your hand until the plane lands in Vilnius LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic