You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sligo Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 42>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:07pm
Anyone here down at Bray and have a first hand account of what happened between staff and fans? 
Sponsored Links

Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:46pm
I was over the other side 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:14pm
Sligo goalkeeping coach Rodney Dalziel (great name) resigns after yesterday’s incident 
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 7:32pm
Sligo players have handed back some of their wages to the club after being knocked out by Longford at the weekend. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:52pm
Proper order as well. 3 wins from 16 at home this season. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Sligo players have handed back some of their wages to the club after being knocked out by Longford at the weekend. 
Don't get this at all. Are they admitting they weren't trying? If so, the money should go to reimburse the fans

Edited by Shedite - 15 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:15am
Hopefully its a wake up call for them. They need to realise we are in this together ... the club, fans and the players. No sugar daddy here, all community money keeps the show on the road and the players are treated fantastic. I completely understand that noting is  a given in football but the performances at home in particular have been woeful.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Don't get this at all. Are they admitting they weren't trying? If so, the money should go to reimburse the fans

Its not about players not trying or about reimbursing fans, the fans dont want the money anyway. Its about keeping the show on the road. Things are very tight financially (in no short way because we had to go 11 weeks without a home league game). There was two very win-able cup games and they messed it up. As I said, nothing is a given in football but they reliase things are tight so it's a nice gesture. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 15 Aug 2018 at 9:23am
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Its not about players not trying or about reimbursing fans, the fans dont want the money anyway. Its about keeping the show on the road. Things are very tight financially (in no short way because we had to go 11 weeks without a home league game). There was two very win-able cup games and they messed it up. As I said, nothing is a given in football but they reliase things are tight so it's a nice gesture. 

It's a bit of an odd one. I know they didn't expect the Dundalk game to be postponed but were they budgeting for a few rounds in the Cup or what here? While I appreciate that it's a nice gesture from the players the club should never have accepted it. There was surely a player or two who would rather have not taken the hit but felt under pressure. The club entered into a contract with these players and they should honour those terms. 

Anyway more importantly I hope they can push on now as Sligo Rovers are vital to the league both for regional diversity and increasing the now very small number of fan owned clubs.  

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

It's a bit of an odd one. I know they didn't expect the Dundalk game to be postponed but were they budgeting for a few rounds in the Cup or what here? While I appreciate that it's a nice gesture from the players the club should never have accepted it. There was surely a player or two who would rather have not taken the hit but felt under pressure. The club entered into a contract with these players and they should honour those terms.
Yeah that's my thinking too, you can't assume you're going to have a cup run in your budgets. Very badly managed finances if they are
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 11:32am
Clubs couldn't budget for a few rounds in the cup even if they wanted to. The FAI licensing system wouldn't accept that. 
Small and Medium sized business (like Rovers) are extremely reliant on cash flow, especially those reliant on the local community cash.  When you have no home league game in the middle of a season for 11 weeks that's hard to manage. 
Its not that the club would have budgeted on winning the 2 cup games but more that both games were very win-able and very timely given the 11 week gap in home games. 
Apart from the money aspect it would have been a good shot in the arm on the field as cup runs are always a positive. 
Good luck to Derry and Longford, we move on. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 15 Aug 2018 at 11:48am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Anyway more importantly I hope they can push on now as Sligo Rovers are vital to the league both for regional diversity and increasing the now very small number of fan owned clubs.  

The club has honoured the contracts and paid them. The players have decided they want to put some of the money they received back into the club.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:26pm
Sligo Rovers 90th anniversary today. (although there is some evidence of a team called Sligo Rovers well before that).

Same club. Same name. Never reformed, liquidated or gone into administration. The people of Sligo bought 13 acres of land for the club and it can never be sold or used for anything else. Rovers played all their 90 years on the ground. Embedded in the local community and run completely by volunteers. What a club ... I really am proud to be a fan. Here's to the next 90.

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:47pm
Clap
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0126/936198-brazilian-midfielder-moves-to-sligo-rovers/

Could be an interesting signing.

What ever happened to this dude?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:49pm
Fair play to Rovers. I just saw this on Twitter though, whats the story here?

Points per game: Sligo home : 0.60 Sligo away : 1.63 Goal difference: Sligo home : -15 Sligo away : +6
El Puto Amo
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:53am

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0126/936198-brazilian-midfielder-moves-to-sligo-rovers/

Could be an interesting signing.

What ever happened to this dude?

Released my mutual consent. He brought his family back to Cyprus, apparently could hack the Irish weather. Decent player but slowed it down a good bit and in the middle of a relegation battle the 'flair player' isn't exactly what is needed.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Fair play to Rovers. I just saw this on Twitter though, whats the story here?

Points per game: Sligo home : 0.60 Sligo away : 1.63 Goal difference: Sligo home : -15 Sligo away : +6

Bottom of the Home Table.
3rd in the Away table.

And it was the opposite last season. Makes for a very frustrating season, if a few of the games had been turned into wins we'd be well up the table and an outside chance of Europe. Lost two very winnable games at home in the cups too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 42>
  Share Topic