You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

The victim part really annoys me.   Liverpool fans think they have a monopoly on how this word is used and the meaning of it.    If I remember correctly this all blew up in 2012 when some previously unreleased papers came out about Hillsborough.    

United fans (and some Everton) had already been singing the song "Always the victims, never their fault" for months at this stage over the way the club handled the Suarez incident, by blaming everyone else for it.   
Then some journalist who must have just heard the chant for the first time (post release of the papers), wrote a piece saying United fans were mocking the Hillsborough deaths.    This was untrue, bu gained widespread publicity, and since then the use of the word "victim" in any context causes high offence to Liverpool fans.
In that way the song is spot on, but it was never intended to be a chant against the deeply unfortunate events in 1989

If you are going to exposure your ignorance on a topic, why not do it on an internet forum for everyone to see. 
Sponsored Links

cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The victim part really annoys me.   Liverpool fans think they have a monopoly on how this word is used and the meaning of it.    If I remember correctly this all blew up in 2012 when some previously unreleased papers came out about Hillsborough.    

United fans (and some Everton) had already been singing the song "Always the victims, never their fault" for months at this stage over the way the club handled the Suarez incident, by blaming everyone else for it.   
Then some journalist who must have just heard the chant for the first time (post release of the papers), wrote a piece saying United fans were mocking the Hillsborough deaths.    This was untrue, bu gained widespread publicity, and since then the use of the word "victim" in any context causes high offence to Liverpool fans.
In that way the song is spot on, but it was never intended to be a chant against the deeply unfortunate events in 1989

If you are going to exposure your ignorance on a topic, why not do it on an internet forum for everyone to see. 

Care to explain or educate me?

Edited by cullenswood - 16 May 2019 at 2:31pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Well, the issue is that a song can have multiple meanings.

Say there's a chant that is wholly innocent and Liverpool or Liverpool fans say "that's disparaging to Hillsborough victims and Sean Cox".

If you continue to sing the song, despite the previously innocent meaning, there is very much the potential for it to be perceived as being disparaging to Hillsborough victims and Sean Cox.
I can understand what you are getting at, it has been used with justification in far bigger issues than this, but the opposite argument is that they can start saying it about anything at all that is disparaging about Liverpool FC or their fans and that seems to be the case here. Terrace culture is supposed to be tribal and a bit nasty, it is what has made football fun for a long time. We can all agree that it is better that the sinister  elements have been removed, especially the racism and the more excessive and widespread violence, but in many ways the baby was thrown out with the bathwater.  
This song isn't demeaning people for any reason that can be deemed unacceptable. It isn't homophobic, racist, misogynistic or bigoted. Is it in bad taste? Absolutely. The funniest chants are either in bad taste, extremely silly or both. The lyrics of this aren't funny, or at least I don't think are, I feel  that sort of caustic wit seems to have been lost on the terraces, but they are in no more bad taste than hundreds of other songs sung every week. Look at the words:

All the way to Kiev, 
To end up in defeat, 
Crying in the stands, 
And battered in the streets, 
Ramos injured Salah, 
Victims of it all, 
Sterling won the double, 
And the Scousers won f*ck all, 
Allez, Allez, Allez,
Allez, Allez, Allez,
Allez, Allez, Allez...

The words that appear to be causing most consternation are 'battered' and 'victims'. The first one is in the bad taste I referred to earlier, but it clearly relates to the trouble in Kiev and has as much to do with Sean Cox as it does to Heysel or the Toxteth riots. There are plenty of football chants that celebrate fighting and taking ends and all that nonsense, but the first time it is ok to  get upset about it is when football players, most of who struggle with the English language, as well as those from abroad, sing it? Maybe we do need to look at these songs and their impact on society, but again I would question the reasoning and timing.

The word 'victims' probably doesn't need an explanation, seeing as Liverpool fans seem to have conformed to stereotype here! They fact they keep conforming to that stereotype means they will continue to be called it. Never show weakness in the playground. 
Let's be clear, Hillsborough is not something to be mocked or laughed at, it was an example of state sponsored manslaughter and showed working-class Britain exactly what Thatcher's government thought of it and I can understand how sensitive it is for Liverpool fans and Merseyside in general, but not every piece of mockery of Liverpool supporters is related to Hillsborough. The term 'victim' when originally being used by opposition fans to mock Liverpool is very likely to have had those implications, but there is many other uses of it and reasons for it that are far more complex. There is an image of Liverpool in England as a city that is always crying about injustice, something that I actually  admire its people for, but football fans are not known for wanting to be culturally sensitive and emotionally appropriate to such sensibilities. I wouldn't say Liverpool fans are 'victims', or mock them for it, even if I don't like them, but I wouldn't accuse those that do of insulting Hillsborough or mocking innocent deaths.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:36pm

Just google Hillsborough and go from there. If you think that the first time anybody knew about a Hillsborough cover up was 2012 then you've a lot to learn about the topic. 
If you are genuine in wanting to know more, Phil Scraton's book is very good in this regard. 

Edited by Borussia - 16 May 2019 at 2:36pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:39pm

An excellent book by a wonderful man.

Just google Hillsborough and go from there. If you think that the first time anybody knew about a Hillsborough cover up was 2012 then you've a lot to learn about the topic. 
If you are genuine in wanting to know more, Phil Scraton's book is very good in this regard. 
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:50pm

Huh??  

As I said in my original message "if I remember correctly".    I couldn't remember what exactly the event was in 2012 that was surrounding the Hillsborough matter, but a quick google there now reminded me it was this ( https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18518407 ).

Anyway, my point still stands....Hillsborough was in the news at the time, and then a journalist mistakenly linked a song he heard sang to those sad events.  
Possibly similar to the same way you mistakenly assumed I was ignorant to all matters relating to Hillsborough.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:55pm

Huh??  

As I said in my original message "if I remember correctly".    I couldn't remember what exactly the event was in 2012 that was surrounding the Hillsborough matter, but a quick google there now reminded me it was this ( https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18518407 ).

Anyway, my point still stands....Hillsborough was in the news at the time, and then a journalist mistakenly linked a song he heard sang to those sad events.  
Possibly similar to the same way you mistakenly assumed I was ignorant to all matters relating to Hillsborough.

Songs about Hillsborough did not start in 2012. Songs portraying Liverpool fans as "victims" didn't start in 2012. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:03pm
Of course not, but not every reference to Liverpool as 'victims' is necessarily about Hillsborough.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:06pm

Huh??  

I think the song was - "always the victim its never your fault", sang by Man United fans against Liverpool after the Suarez-Evra incident

Another one from United fans is - the Sun was right, you're murderers. Now that one is nasty

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 16 May 2019 at 3:07pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Of course not, but not every reference to Liverpool as 'victims' is necessarily about Hillsborough.

In footballing terms, it will be seen that why - And that's a well known fact so if people chose to still use it then there is no defence.

Anyways, this has gone way off topic : The title race has been refreshing in that it was two teams pushing each other with a large amount of respect going around. Man City have lowered the tone with this episode which is a shame but that reflects more on them then anything else. 

Back to football, and City's impending date with the UEFA investigator...!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:13pm
It isn't a fact at all, to suggest so is disingenuous. As I have said, it may well have originated there and was in worse than bad taste, but there was an increase in the chants following the Suarez incident and the attempts by Liverpool FC to create a siege mentality, which many saw as  playing victim. There is, as I have said,  an image of Liverpool, both the city and the football club, playing up to a sense of injustice. Hillsborough is only a part of that narrative.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:25pm
Exactly. And crying all summer about Ramos injuring Salah in the CL final meant they played the victim card there too, hence that line in the chant.

So it wasn't about Sean Cox (as his brother said and most sane minded fans know), and it wasn't about Hillsborough.

City fans have never sang about Hillsborough and always had a good relationship with Liverpool (up until the CL games last year probably)

They flew a JFT96 banner at Anfield a few years ago.

A total non-story invented by upset Liverpool fans. Slow news week.

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:32pm
Conn is dead right. 

And he's a Manchester City supporter, so his views can't simply be dismissed in a Trump-like manner by other Manchester City supporters, at least not credibly so - Man City supporters will of course vilify one of their own for telling some uncomfortable truths, just as Rangers supporters vilify Graham Spiers if he tells a few truths about their consistent despicable behaviour or Celtic supporters vilify Pat Nevin or anybody else who puts their head above the parapet to point point out that some things that are sung are not healthy.

One of Manchester City's excuses was that "this song has been sung all season by supporters". So fooking what?

Donald Findlay had to resign from the Rangers board after being caught singing The Sash in 1999. Rangers supporters sing The Sash to this day. 

Should Findlay therefore not have resigned?

Clearly, according to Manchester City, supporters, the answer is, no he shouldn't have.

There's zero self awareness or critical thinking at play here among Man City the club itself or its supporters. It's an institutional closing of ranks a la the Catholic Church in this country or Donald Trump and US Republicans. It reflects terribly on them. It's pathetic.

Online discourse about football has become increasingly toxic, almost like US politics. There's such a horrible, sick undertone to a lot of it and this story is a parable for our times.

For a so called working class sport, I find a lot of the discourse, especially in relation to anti-Liverpool chants or other anti-Liverpool speech, to be rooted in horrible far right politics. "Victims", mocking the brain damaged, "get a job" etc. 

These are far right political ideologies redolent of actual Nazi times, and football is infested with this sh*t. 

I suppose the myopic "we're perfect, everybody else is a disgrace" views of football supporters like Manchester City's is sadly reflective of the predominant toxic culture in society now.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Exactly. And crying all summer about Ramos injuring Salah in the CL final meant they played the victim card there too, hence that line in the chant.

So it wasn't about Sean Cox (as his brother said and most sane minded fans know), and it wasn't about Hillsborough.

City fans have never sang about Hillsborough and always had a good relationship with Liverpool (up until the CL games last year probably)

They flew a JFT96 banner at Anfield a few years ago.

A total non-story invented by upset Liverpool fans. Slow news week.

What a crock of sh*t. 

This is literal Trumpism in action, gaslighting to pretend that obvious dog whistles don't mean what we all exactly know to them to mean.

Seems like Breitbart is a house Manchester City forum these days.

Edited by sid waddell - 16 May 2019 at 3:37pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:39pm
LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:41pm
Would you give over about Donald Trump you total loony bin

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is, by definition. 

The word "victims" has been sarcastically used for decades to vilify the dead of Hillsborough and to tar those who remain as criminals, despite Liverpool supporters being precisely 0% to blame for the disaster.

You can't use the word "victims" about Liverpool and not dig up the ghosts of the scandalous vilification of all those at Hillsborough. 

It's also a deliberate stereotype used to vilify the whole of the city of Liverpool, not just the club.

There's a reason why some things are off limits. 

You can't go around portraying Jews as money grabbers because that sterotype was used to commit the worst outrage in human history against the Jewish people. 

Yet people from Scotland and Cavan are routinely the butt of jokes about them being mean or money grabbers and nobody bats an eyelid, because that stereotype hasn't been used to commit a genocide against either of those peoples.

Edited by sid waddell - 16 May 2019 at 3:46pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would you give over about Donald Trump you total loony bin

It's really irking you, isn't it?

Good, it's meant to.

I hear Man City's next away kit will be orange, to reflect the sick, paranoid, delusional ramblings of their players, PR team (who are really sh*t, by the way) and supporters. 

And because both of them are corrupt as hell and under the control of human rights-abusing head choppers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 331332333334335 509>
  Share Topic