Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm

People have short memories.

United have produced some great EPL teams.

The midfield of Beckham-Keane-Scholes-Giggs takes some beating.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

That team in the late 90's was a brilliant team who played some great football.
If you look back at the games/players then it was a much better league in terms of entertainment. 

However they never dominated like the Chelsea team - 95 points or the team last year that won 30 games!

Man U in 98/99 actually drew 12 games and lost 3.
I know they won everything else and that was one in a life time season but its hard to argue they dominated the league that season.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 12 Feb 2018 at 4:01pm

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No there are no meltdowns here, lets not be a drama queen.
Ok, you didn't appreciate my (slightly) immature Aguero photo Smile

There was definitely a tinge of bitterness in your point that Guardiola will be remembered as spending almost half a billion in 18 months.
Others would say he could be remembered as the man who won the EPL with record points (still achievable), by a record margin (still achieveable) or by scoring the record number of goals (still achievable) in a season, or by playing some of the best football seen in the premier league era (becoming more fact than opinion by the week)

But that's just my reading of your very quick reply on Guardiola, a man who you I've never read you say anything positive about on here. Maybe you actually weren't being bitter and I misread you. I'm not sure what gave me the impression you were being bitter towards him. There must be a thread on it somewhere.

But there was no bitterness in my post. I simply stated a fact, that was all.

The transfer market is there for a reason, so why not use it you have the resources? I don't see the problem with that.
I'm not having a go at him for spending money, it just backs up your point that he didn't inherit a great team

And for the record, I have said plenty of "positive" things about him, most notably his two positive drug tests!!!

Clap ClapLOLLOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

If Barca or Real win the CL then we don't even need to guess who is getting the Ballon D'Or irrespective of merit. If PSG win it, then Neymar will get it. It's all about the big names and marketeers being looked after. 

I think that they have generally been spot on with their winners even if it's Ronaldo or Messi, the stats for them have usually been well ahead of the chasing pack. The last time a player other than those deserved a shout was Schneider won the treble and made a World Cup Final. Messi probably scored 100 goals or something that year LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

No doubt, with the 1999 Treble team esp outstanding.

But part of Fergie's greatness was his ability to manage/spread his resources to do just enough to win the title, often with a killer finish to the season when the others dropped crucial points.

Which is why his title winning sides often won without needing many points to do so. His first two titles were held over 42 games, where he gained 84 and 92 points - hardly earth-shattering.

Thereafter for 38 games seasons, his totals were: 82, 75, 79, 91, 80, 83, 89, 87, 90, 80 and 89.

And it is esp notable, I think, that for the treble team (1998/99), they just inched home with a lowly 79 points, just one point ahead of Arsenal and four ahead of Chelsea. 

Whereas the following season, when that team had truly matured, they achieved his highest 38-game tally with 91 points, a full 18 points ahead of Arsenal in 2nd, with third placed Leeds(!) another 4 points back.

And I still say his final title was achieved with the "worst" team ever to win the EPL, yet even there they were still a whole 11 points ahead of the team in second!
kingofkings View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Going to a 'Bigger Club' next season

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingofkings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:50am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:04am
Sane and Silva back in the squad for tonight's game
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:37am
This City side are top class & a great to watch. Miles ahead this season but its only one season - they have to do it over the next 3/4/5 years to be classed as the best PL side ever
Some people just deserve a slap
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:26am
Surprised to see Sane back already. Would have been a shame to see him out for a long time after that tackle.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:28am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Surprised to see Sane back already. Would have been a shame to see him out for a long time after that tackle.

I reckon City may have exaggerated the extent of the injury to emphasis the point about their players getting booted around the place. It was a shocker of a tackle. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I reckon City may have exaggerated the extent of the injury to emphasis the point about their players getting booted around the place. It was a shocker of a tackle. 

I agree. He played on in the game and didn't come off until half time, albeit a few minutes later.
After the match Guardiola said he'd be out for 3 or 4 weeks, and then a few days later when he was complaining about challenges on his players he said 6 or 7 weeks.

Either way, its great to see an exciting player like that back

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:34am
Very possible. He's a joy to watch at full speed, unbelievable pace at times.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:35am
Sane is an incredible player. That few weeks off might do him good. Could be refreshed after it. He was on fire in the first few months of the season, and while he has played well mainly in the past few months, at times he looked a little frustrated as goals and chances weren't coming as easily to him.

One of the best players in the PL to watch, the levels he could reach in the next few years as he keeps progressing are frightening!
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I think that they have generally been spot on with their winners even if it's Ronaldo or Messi, the stats for them have usually been well ahead of the chasing pack. The last time a player other than those deserved a shout was Schneider won the treble and made a World Cup Final. Messi probably scored 100 goals or something that year LOL
2/3 years ago I thought Suarez should have won it.
Wasn't even in the final 3.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:03am
Suarez should probably have won it, or been very close to winning it once or twice. Did he not score 40 odd La Liga goals in 2016 iirc? As mentioned, it's all marketing now. Suarez, a biter, a lad suspended for racist comments, simply isn't the face that the top guys want as the 'best player in the world'. For Suarez to have never have made the top 3 at at any stage tells you everything about the award. It's a comedy show.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:05am
Suarez could have had valid claims to win it one year yes, as did Thomas Muller I thought the year Bayern won the CL

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Suarez should probably have won it, or been very close to winning it once or twice. Did he not score 40 odd La Liga goals in 2016 iirc? As mentioned, it's all marketing now. Suarez, a biter, a lad suspended for racist comments, simply isn't the face that the top guys want as the 'best player in the world'. For Suarez to have never have made the top 3 at at any stage tells you everything about the award. It's a comedy show.
A natural face for FIFA.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:06pm
There's no way Suarez should have won one he has never had a better season than Messi.

Xavi in 2010 perhaps should have won it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 509>
  Share Topic