Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 509>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:26am
No there are no meltdowns here, lets not be a drama queen.
Ok, you didn't appreciate my (slightly) immature Aguero photo Smile

There was definitely a tinge of bitterness in your point that Guardiola will be remembered as spending almost half a billion in 18 months.
Others would say he could be remembered as the man who won the EPL with record points (still achievable), by a record margin (still achieveable) or by scoring the record number of goals (still achievable) in a season, or by playing some of the best football seen in the premier league era (becoming more fact than opinion by the week)

But that's just my reading of your very quick reply on Guardiola, a man who you I've never read you say anything positive about on here. Maybe you actually weren't being bitter and I misread you. I'm not sure what gave me the impression you were being bitter towards him. There must be a thread on it somewhere.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Feb 2018 at 10:34am
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:37am
In terms of the most complete side, they are easily the best PL side ever. That doesn't necessarily translate to being the most exciting side ever in the PL era (even though they are also right up there on that score), but their ability to dominate games from start to finish and give opposition teams barely a sniff of the ball let alone sustained pressure on them is something I don't remember any other PL side being close to resembling. 

After losing out on any chance of the unbeaten season, I'd love to see them set a points total. Could be a tall order later in the season though as heavy rotation of key players will surely be inevitable when the league is wrapped up with 5/6 games to spare.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No there are no meltdowns here, lets not be a drama queen.
Ok, you didn't appreciate my (slightly) immature Aguero photo Smile

There was definitely a tinge of bitterness in your point that Guardiola will be remembered as spending almost half a billion in 18 months.
Others would say he could be remembered as the man who won the EPL with record points (still achievable), by a record margin (still achieveable) or by scoring the record number of goals (still achievable) in a season, or by playing some of the best football seen in the premier league era (becoming more fact than opinion by the week)

But that's just my reading of your very quick reply on Guardiola, a man who you I've never read you say anything positive about on here. Maybe you actually weren't being bitter and I misread you. I'm not sure what gave me the impression you were being bitter towards him. There must be a thread on it somewhere.

But there was no bitterness in my post. I simply stated a fact, that was all.

The transfer market is there for a reason, so why not use it you have the resources? I don't see the problem with that.
I'm not having a go at him for spending money, it just backs up your point that he didn't inherit a great team

And for the record, I have said plenty of "positive" things about him, most notably his two positive drug tests!!!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:45am
LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:53am
Guardiola saying that De Bruyne can challenge for the Ballon d'Or this year

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
The Ballon d'Or is a bit of a mockery at this stage, along with FIFAs world 11 selections etc. (Sergio Ramos will still be getting selected in that 11 along with Marcelo 20 years after they are dead and cremated). Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'Or at times when not being anywhere close to the best player on the planet at that time.

De Bruyne is easily up there as one of the best players in the world at this moment in time. This is where the real stuff starts for him and City though. They'll canter past Basle and then it's the CL quarter finals. For him to be lauded in the way he rightly should be, he needs to gives those quality performances at that stage of the CL also, and I've no doubt he will.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:02am
True.
If Real win the CL Ronaldo gets it, if Barca win the CL Messi gets it. If Bayern or anyone else wins the CL, Messi or Ronaldo still get it....that's the way it has tended to go.

If PSG knock Real out at the last 16 stage then you wouldn't think Ronaldo will be in the final 3 at the end of the year. Neymar, Messi and one other I would imagine.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Feb 2018 at 11:02am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:03am
If Barca or Real win the CL then we don't even need to guess who is getting the Ballon D'Or irrespective of merit. If PSG win it, then Neymar will get it. It's all about the big names and marketeers being looked after. 
El Puto Amo
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

In terms of the most complete side, they are easily the best PL side ever. That doesn't necessarily translate to being the most exciting side ever in the PL era (even though they are also right up there on that score), but their ability to dominate games from start to finish and give opposition teams barely a sniff of the ball let alone sustained pressure on them is something I don't remember any other PL side being close to resembling. 

After losing out on any chance of the unbeaten season, I'd love to see them set a points total. Could be a tall order later in the season though as heavy rotation of key players will surely be inevitable when the league is wrapped up with 5/6 games to spare.
Chelsea 04/05 would be right up there with this City side.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:16am
Very different styles, but that Chelsea team were superb. Defensive players like Cech, Terry Carvalho Gallas. Unreal. Then Lampard Robben Duff Drogba doing the damage. Strongest side defensively in the PL maybe? Ubelievable counter attacking side iirc
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:33am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Chelsea 04/05 would be right up there with this City side.

That Chelsea side was amazing BUT if Man City go and break all the records mentioned above and considering they won 19 in a row then we have a new benchmark.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:49am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The records city are chasing

Most wins in a season (38 games):  30 Chelsea 16/17
Need to win 9 out of the last 12

Most goals scored in a season: 103 Chelsea 09/10
Need to score 30 in the last 12 games (Avg of 2.5)

Most points in a season: 95 Chelsea 04/05
Need to get 27 points from the last 12 games (Avg of 2.3)

With only Spurs and Arsenal away out of the big 6 its still doable but City cant afford any more slip ups.

Whats the record points gap between 1st and 2nd at the end of an EPL season?

Man U in 1999/2000 - 18 points
They got 91 points and Arsenal 73.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:53am

True.
If Real win the CL Ronaldo gets it, if Barca win the CL Messi gets it. If Bayern or anyone else wins the CL, Messi or Ronaldo still get it....that's the way it has tended to go.

Because they are head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Ronaldo is getting on a bit now.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:53am
If there’s a City player who I think will win a Ballon D’Or it’ll be Sane.

Theres just something about him, maybe the fact hes nowhere near at peak level atm
kingofkings View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Going to a 'Bigger Club' next season

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingofkings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:05pm
ShockedErmm

Didn't Siralex say something similar??

Ermm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

True.

Because they are head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Ronaldo is getting on a bit now.

I know. I'm just saying that its usually whoever wins the CL out of the two, or goes furthest, determines which of them wins it.

If we're looking at performances since August then Ronaldo shouldn't be nominated for the next Ballon d'Or.

Coyne - Sane is sensational at times but needs more consistency in his game. De Bruyne has been on a different level this season. It'll depend how far he goes in the CL though. City would probably have to win it for him to get the Ballon D'or in January

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

If Barca or Real win the CL then we don't even need to guess who is getting the Ballon D'Or irrespective of merit. If PSG win it, then Neymar will get it. It's all about the big names and marketeers being looked after. 

Is the correct answer.

You just have to look at the FIFA shortlist to see its 100% marketing.
You have to play for the right club and fit the image.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm

In terms of the most complete side, they are easily the best PL side ever.
I think you have to wait to see how they do in their last 11 games before you can reach that conclusion (not that I'm predicting a mini-slump or anything, far from it, in fact)

... their ability to dominate games from start to finish and give opposition teams barely a sniff of the ball let alone sustained pressure on them is something I don't remember any other PL side being close to resembling.
I'm not sure this present City side are as hard to get at as the Chelsea team of 2003/4 (much as I disliked them and esp their manager):

" Managed by Jose Mourinho during his first season at the club, Chelsea won the Premier League title (their first league title in 50 years) and the League Cup.The season was historic for the vast number of records set during the season. The list of achievements include; most away wins in a season (15), most clean sheets kept in a season (25), fewest goals conceded away in a season (9), most wins in a season (29), most consecutive away wins (9), fewest goals conceded in a season (15) and most points in a season (95)."

Perhaps most remarkable of all was that their highest League goalscorer that season was Fat Frank on 13, which surely reflects how every single player did his job in squeezing the life out of their opponents, game after game. (Also got to the semi's of the CL that season, topping their group and beating Barca and Bayern in the knock-out stages, before losing to Liverpool by the only goal of the two legs) .

They were hardly a joy to watch, mind, considering they only scored 72 goals the whole season - City already have 79 this time round = 2.93 per game. If City can keep that rate up for the last 11 games, that would see them on 121 for the season (current EPL record is Chelsea on 103 in 2009/10).

Remarkable, really.

Edited by Territorial - 12 Feb 2018 at 1:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 509>
  Share Topic