You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 378379380381382 509>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:52pm
You can laugh at a Super League, but the reason the CL is the way it is is because of the threat of a breakaway Super League.

If UEFA hadn't repeatedly bent over it wouldn't look anything like it does now, and that's because of the threat of a breakaway:
- letting in runners up from 1997
- letting in the top four from the top three countries from 2000
- letting the third placed side from the top three countries directly into the group stages from 2008
- letting the Europa League winner into the group stages from 2015
- letting the fourth placed side from the fourth ranked country into the competition from 2018
- letting the fourth placed side from the top four countries directly into the group stages from 2018

Every single format change over the last twenty five years has been to the benefit of the big clubs. Even the elimination of the second group stage was arguably to their advantage, because of the fixture congestion it was causing and the fact it allowed the season to start a week later, allowing for more lucrative round the world pre-season tournaments.

If the changes hadn't happened, there'd have been a breakaway by now. The top clubs have all the leverage and still aren't happy. I can't say I blame them: every time they go to UEFA looking for more, they get it! If you had an ATM that kept giving you money for free, wouldn't you keep going back and asking for more. I'm not saying I disagree that the clubs would soon realise a breakaway league is a bad thing but for so long as UEFA keep bending over at the threat of it, the more the big clubs are going to get from UEFA over it.

There is one thing though: UEFA is a 55 member organisation and it depends on those 55 votes for a lot of major decisions. There was a period in the early 2000s when the champions of the lowest countries didn't get into the Champions League. That was changed back; I can't see any format change actually expressly eliminating those sides. Any format will always have to be constrained by a requirement to keep open a path for clubs from lower ranked nations, otherwise it won't pass UEFA. They know that it is a cash cow and they have to keep the money flowing, but at a certain stage, if money isn't flowing to the smaller countries, or even the chance of it, there might be enough members in UEFA who are happy to let the big clubs go. Given the hit UEFA would take over that though, I can't see the actual institution of UEFA allowing that to happen readily, which is why I think we're more likely to see minor changes from where we are at the minute. The more top level clubs admitted (say fifth, sixth and seventh from the top three countries), the fewer clubs from smaller nations admitted, and I can't see many of the lower associations being happy with that. It's a hard sell to them as it is, and UEFA seem to have found a balance most of them are happy with.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Dec 2019 at 3:56pm
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 4:20pm
I would agree with nearly all of that. I think it would be very interesting if UEFA eventually said no more to the big clubs. No more tweaks to suit you lot to the detriment of less wealthier clubs and leagues. I think at that point you'd see whether those 10-20 wealthiest European clubs really would be happy to break away. Tbh, I couldn't see it happening at all. Some would be on board but I'd be shocked if they had a large majority willing to break away. By break away, I mean break away completely from their domestic leagues. 

The novelty would wear off very quickly. TV money would no doubt be huge but fairly quickly crowds for games would go through the floor I reckon. A league of 20 top teams with only 1 winner. Where the majority of them are used to winning trophy after trophy. I think those wealthy clubs realise they're in an incredible position with the CL ad it is, and even though they will try and lever more places in the CL for themselves and will succeed in that I believe, if they were turned down I don't think the threatened break away would happen.

I would love if it did though. I genuinely think it would be the ruination of those wealthy clubs and imo, that would be great for football in the future.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 12 Dec 2019 at 4:21pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:53pm
It would all depend on the set up. I suppose at the minute you have the following:

- the drama of a race for national titles (and cups), giving the top two or three sides drama every season
- the drama of a race for top four in national leagues, giving the sides from third to seventh drama every season
- the (lesser) drama of seeing whether teams will get out of the group stage of the Champions League
- the drama of Champions League knockout football

Having numerous competitions and various different qualification groups sets things up in a way there is a degree of manufactured uncertainty - it is possible you'd lose that with a Super League. Now, it depends on the set up of a Super League - if you had one with regional divisions, like the NFL, and end of season playoffs, like the Champions League has, you could still have a degree of drama. For example, say there were 32 clubs in 4 divisions of 8 clubs, and each side played each the teams in each other division once and those in their own division twice (that's 38 games). You could then have first in each group making the quarter finals, and second and third playing off in a last sixteen round. That is only an example of course, but the level of uncertainty and drama that the current system allows could equally be replicated in a Super League, especially if they have a relegation system (don't bank on that though).
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You can laugh at a Super League, but the reason the CL is the way it is is because of the threat of a breakaway Super League.

If UEFA hadn't repeatedly bent over it wouldn't look anything like it does now, and that's because of the threat of a breakaway:
- letting the third placed side from the top three countries directly into the group stages from 2008
- letting the fourth placed side from the fourth ranked country into the competition from 2018
- letting the fourth placed side from the top four countries directly into the group stages from 2018

Every single format change over the last twenty five years has been to the benefit of the big clubs. Even the elimination of the second group stage was arguably to their advantage, because of the fixture congestion it was causing and the fact it allowed the season to start a week later, allowing for more lucrative round the world pre-season tournaments.

If the changes hadn't happened, there'd have been a breakaway by now. The top clubs have all the leverage and still aren't happy. I can't say I blame them: every time they go to UEFA looking for more, they get it! If you had an ATM that kept giving you money for free, wouldn't you keep going back and asking for more. I'm not saying I disagree that the clubs would soon realise a breakaway league is a bad thing but for so long as UEFA keep bending over at the threat of it, the more the big clubs are going to get from UEFA over it.

There is one thing though: UEFA is a 55 member organisation and it depends on those 55 votes for a lot of major decisions. There was a period in the early 2000s when the champions of the lowest countries didn't get into the Champions League. That was changed back; I can't see any format change actually expressly eliminating those sides. Any format will always have to be constrained by a requirement to keep open a path for clubs from lower ranked nations, otherwise it won't pass UEFA. They know that it is a cash cow and they have to keep the money flowing, but at a certain stage, if money isn't flowing to the smaller countries, or even the chance of it, there might be enough members in UEFA who are happy to let the big clubs go. Given the hit UEFA would take over that though, I can't see the actual institution of UEFA allowing that to happen readily, which is why I think we're more likely to see minor changes from where we are at the minute. The more top level clubs admitted (say fifth, sixth and seventh from the top three countries), the fewer clubs from smaller nations admitted, and I can't see many of the lower associations being happy with that. It's a hard sell to them as it is, and UEFA seem to have found a balance most of them are happy with.

Now, now SD, you can't be making long posts on this forum - people don't read them, don't you know? LOL

Though as one of the few who do have the capacity to read something more challenging than The Sun's back page, I have to say I agree with all you say.

Well I would do, wouldn't I? I mean, it only chimes with what I wrote myself on the Champions League thread the other day:
https://forum.ybig.ie/champions-league-19-20_topic57069_page9.html
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:45pm

That is it in a nutshell. There may never be a 'super' league now as I can the CL eventually being a closed shop, it is close to it now. There are only 12-14 clubs that can win it and most of them are in the last 16. Logically you would have to imagine it is having an impact on the group stages; how many surprises are there in that 16? David Conn wrote an article about the growing gap between the best and the rest and mentioned that the number of four goal(and more) hammerings is rising in the competition year on year. I think he said there is twice the likelihood of such a hammering in the CL as in the EPL. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Now, now SD, you can't be making long posts on this forum - people don't read them, don't you know? LOL

Though as one of the few who do have the capacity to read something more challenging than The Sun's back page, I have to say I agree with all you say.

Well I would do, wouldn't I? I mean, it only chimes with what I wrote myself on the Champions League thread the other day:

Yeah, I just rehashed what you wrote. I figured people were more likely to read it if it came from a source they thought was credible.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:34pm
LOLLOLLOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:35pm
LOL
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:51am
LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:08am
LOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:27pm

Yeah, I just rehashed what you wrote. I figured people were more likely to read it if it came from a source they thought was credible.

Which is just another way of saying that many people on here aren't interested in what someone says, just who's saying it i.e. prejudice in its true sense.

Congratulations to all involved.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:10am
I can’t speak for everyone, but the reason I don’t read your posts is that that they are sh*te.

What happened to Florry, by the way? He was alright!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:20am

Which is just another way of saying that many people on here aren't interested in what someone says, just who's saying it i.e. prejudice in its true sense.

Despite your willingness to be put upon, we all know its nothing to do with prejudice, or dare i mention, discrimination or, here goes, and its what you’re re aiming at, sectarianism. Its because you waffle uncontrollably and cant wait to play the victim. At times, you have a bigger chip than Mr Macari...
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Despite your willingness to be put upon, we all know its nothing to do with prejudice, or dare i mention, discrimination or, here goes, and its what you’re re aiming at, sectarianism. Its because you waffle uncontrollably and cant wait to play the victim. At times, you have a bigger chip than Mr Macari...
You leave little Lou out of this LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:26pm

LOLLOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

You leave little Lou out of this LOL
LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:10pm

Had I meant "discrimination" or "sectarianism", I'd have said so.

I deliberately chose the term "prejudice in its true sense" because that was exactly what I meant:

prejudice

noun

an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Though if that's too wordy for you, just think of it as "pre-judging".
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:12pm
2 brilliant goals from De Bruyne. City still have a few gears they can go up too.

When I saw the line-up, I thought Ljungberg was being naive with such an attacking front 4. Turns out I was right to think so.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 378379380381382 509>
  Share Topic