You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 339340341342343 509>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:15pm
It's being raised now for two reasons.

1. UAE bought the club to help sanitise and whitewash their image, war crimes, mass starvations, stiffling of political dissent etc. By being so successful this effort is more likely to succeed, hence people called them out on it now. Wouldn't be much use doing it after a mid-season loss.

2. People are sick of the same teams being successful/buying the league (argue away but that's how most people see it, including UEFA given the impending CL ban for FFP breaches). In a year when every major league was retained, people are fed up.

If I was a fan of a successful team I wouldn't give a toss about the latter issue, the first I would, how anyone can take satisfaction from winning anything bought with blood money I don't know.

Edited by nvidic - 20 May 2019 at 12:15pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

- The Man City record transfer fee is £60m for Mahrez. That's not a pittance but they haven't followed the template of other big spenders in the past (AC Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid) of going out and buying "Galacticos". Since Peps arrival, they have a plan and buy very talented players who can improve and Guardiolas track record is impressive in this regard.

Sort of touches on what I was saying on the last page about their transfer policy. They haven't gone out and signed Neymar or Mbappe.

Any other of the top 3 or 4 clubs could have signed some of these players that City have signed very easily, had they wanted.
Chelsea could have kept De Bruyne and developed him into a world class talent.
United could have signed Sane and Bernardo for example instead of wasting money on Sanchez and Fred.
Superior transfer dealings and coaching is as big factor as anything here. So stop the crying about City buying all the best players. They really haven't.

Sometimes when i'm watching City and look at their starting XI I think to myself that man for man they aren't actually that good. As a team they're brilliant though.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 20 May 2019 at 12:21pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:32pm
I see city are adding a new walk out song for next season, it’s by soft cell “Tainted Love”
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:37pm

Some points on this:

- The owners of City and their regime is pretty horrible and it does pose questions about image laundering etc. However, football is hardly a bastion of morality in this sense. We could start a separate thread on corrupt and even despotic owners/backers. Some luminaries include Pablo Escobar, the Comorra, the Mexican cartels and Uday Hussein. The Abu Dhabi lads are definitely in the top tier of scumbags but they did not create the genre of dodgy fookers running football clubs. 

Of course not, but there is a very different reason why PSG and Manchester City were bought by their current owners. Escobar and the like used the clubs they bought to launder money,not reputations, and all of them had an emotional connection to the clubs they bought and the communities they were from.
It goes without saying that doesn't absolve them, but there are far more complicated socio-economic and political reasons involved there and then there is at Manchester City. There are no grey areas here. 
In the case of Manchester City and PSG it is the first attempts by dodgy regimes to use football to launder their reputation on the world scale, that is why people are more critical of Manchester City and PSG. It is undoubtedly 'sportswashing' and is incredibly dangerous. 

From a purely footballing point of view, it takes a lot of the fun out of it. That isn't solely Manchester City's fault, the game is designed in a way to help the richest clubs now, but many of the other clubs that  are successful now can point to doing it on some degree of merit. Chelsea not so much, Manchester City even less. Sheikh Mansour probably had a handful of English clubs he was interested in buying, could have appointed Guardiola as manager  and any one of them would have been successful. That has to taint it some bit for the fans? I know community and local pride have long been removed from the upper echelons of the EPL, but surely fans want to see their team doing it the right way and not based on the luck of who a wealthy owner decides to buy?

As Early alludes to in his article, and I find his writing  irksome, but he is correct here, what happens if the House of Saud buy Manchester United? Or North Korea buys Newcastle?(it would just mean switching from one silly fat psychopath to another, and at least Kim Jong Un appears to be loved, but you get my point!) It is a bizarre form of football monopoly and it is bizarre that people can ignore it.

In short; s a football fan, the removal of any hint of meritocracy is the most disturbing thing. That isn't solely Manchester City, they are merely a fine example of it. As a human being, the use of a sport to launder the reputations of those that need most laundering is worrying. The only way it can be stopped is by people constantly referring to the abuses of the regimes that are investing in the game for that reason, whether the fans of those teams like it or not.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

If I may dare, and change the subject of this thread back to actual football, Leroy Sane's body language during the celebrations on Saturday were very subdued. Definitely off this summer I reckon. Bayern looking for a winger after Robben retired.

RB
That's the rumour here as well.

https://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/749672/artikel_sanc3a9-ist-ein-heisser-kandidat-beim-fc-bayern.html

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It's being raised now for two reasons.

1. UAE bought the club to help sanitise and whitewash their image, war crimes, mass starvations, stiffling of political dissent etc. By being so successful this effort is more likely to succeed, hence people called them out on it now. Wouldn't be much use doing it after a mid-season loss.

2. People are sick of the same teams being successful/buying the league (argue away but that's how most people see it, including UEFA given the impending CL ban for FFP breaches). In a year when every major league was retained, people are fed up.

If I was a fan of a successful team I wouldn't give a toss about the latter issue, the first I would, how anyone can take satisfaction from winning anything bought with blood money I don't know.
Exactly. Manchester City fans have also become more defensive as their team becomes more successful. I think everyone realises the reaction to the jailing of Matthew Hedges was a massive turning point. 

As I have said above, there have been plenty good journalists discussing this for a while, not least David Conn, who was himself a Manchester City fan. His book on the matter, printed 6-7 years ago, is well worth reading.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:46pm
Let me take you down

'Cause we're going to Manchester City

Where nothing is real

And nothing to get hung about

Now give me your hands to sever

Living is easy with eyes closed

Misunderstanding all you see

It's getting hard to have free speech

'Cause they throw you out

Human rights don't matter to City

Let me take you down

Where nothing is real

City are owned by the UAE

The sheikhs who hang you high or low

Despite the human rights abuse

They say it's alright

Man City think it's not too bad

Let me take you down

Where nothing is real

Always outraged you talk about UAE

They say please talk about our team

Blood money paid for your success

Which is all wrong

It's a place you never disagree

Let me take you down

Where nothing is real

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Some points on this:

- The owners of City and their regime is pretty horrible and it does pose questions about image laundering etc. However, football is hardly a bastion of morality in this sense. We could start a separate thread on corrupt and even despotic owners/backers. Some luminaries include Pablo Escobar, the Comorra, the Mexican cartels and Uday Hussein. The Abu Dhabi lads are definitely in the top tier of scumbags but they did not create the genre of dodgy fookers running football clubs. 

Sheikh Mansour probably had a handful of English clubs he was interested in buying

If rumours are to be believed he offered Mike Ashley €200M for Newcastle before they bought City, the deal was allegedly almost done, when Ashley who was running late for the meeting turned up drunk and badly sunburned.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:50pm
Spend since 2006 on transfers in the table below.

City have spent 40% more than Liverpool in that time, but have 1200% more major trophies

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:19pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:59pm

http://africa.espn.com/football/blog/marcottis-musings/62/post/3858143/manchester-city-are-the-greatest-team-of-the-premier-league-era

Marcotti touching on the points I was making earlier here 

I stopped after the first couple of paragraphs and the knockout Champions League nonsense. No doubt City's achievements on the pitch should be lauded (if you are turning a blind eye to everything else) but it's absolutely comical that there is this downplaying of their lack of progress in the CL. Marcotti dismissing it as some sort of roll of the dice, pure luck, cup competition is beyond farcical. Pity because Marcotti is usually pretty decent.

As for the off the pitch stuff, the one thing I'd agree with RB is the timing of it all, in the sense that this stuff has always been there, and the volume of noise around it has been minimal. As PM said earlier there are a few who have beat the drum about City's owners over the last few years but in general the media have been complicit in letting owners like these thrive in football. City being one of plenty of dodgy groups of owners.

It seems now that it's just the perfect storm for the general media to really go at City's ownership. The leaks from last year, resulting in the pending UEFA decision, the winning of the treble and almost 100 points in 2 league winning seasons. It seems that a light bulb moment has gone off for the 90 plus percent of media who never gave a damn. Shame on them tbh.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:05pm
The first couple of paragraphs wasn’t what I was referring to. To be honest, I find it hard to compare and rank teams from different generations and haven’t called City the best team in EPL history or English football history, or made any claims like that. 

It was more to do with their transfer policy 

Marcotti saying that none of their signings had actually won much in the game before joining the club, bar maybe Aguero and De Bruyne. They sign “nice” players not superstars who come to City and improve 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:34pm

Amnesty accuses UAE of diverting arms to 'militias' in Yemen

DUBAI (Reuters) - Amnesty International accused the United Arab Emirates on Wednesday of diverting arms supplied by Western and other states to “unaccountable militias accused of war crimes” in Yemen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-amnesty/amnesty-accuses-uae-of-diverting-arms-to-militias-in-yemen-idUSKCN1PV00D
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:38pm
Don't be spreading militias rumours.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:25am
LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:39am
LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:55am

I have found that contempt, derision, and misdirections for those asking questions of the powerful are often symptoms of deep fears for the truth that could be exposed.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:08am

Spend since 2006 on transfers in the table below.

City have spent 40% more than Liverpool in that time, but have 1200% more trophies
And Liverpool have played in 3 European Cup Finals whereas the Slave Traders cant get past the QF’s.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 339340341342343 509>
  Share Topic