You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 509>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by kingofkings kingofkings wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/manchester-citys-%e2%82%ac878m-squad-the-most-expensive-in-history/ar-BBJ2i3g?li=AAdf4rm&ocid=iehp
The figure for City might reflect a "truth", but overall that article is worse than worthless - positively misleading, in fact.

For it doesn't reflect net transfer spending (i.e. including transfer receipts), nor does it even mention wages. For example, Sanchez "only" cost Man U £25m, but his wages are enormous. 

And Chelsea are listed in 5th place, ahead of Real Madrid(!), yet their net spend has gone down in recent years compared to City, MU, Liverpool, even Arsenal, since they're actually bringing in a lot of money from transferring/loaning their second string players. And if/when Hazard should depart, they will be losing their last truly world class player (Courteois too, I suppose, but gk's simply aren't as costly as midfielders or defenders these days, never mind strikers).

I guess it's because he's got a billion pound stadium to fund, but as the excellent 'Swiss Rambler' recently pointed out, Abramovic's spending on Chelsea hasn't been keeping up with the other big English clubs of late:

Edited by Territorial - 13 Feb 2018 at 12:15pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:19pm
Man Utd had the most expensively assembled squad in history for a couple of years there and all they did was finish 4th, 6th and win a couple of second rate cups.
So you can't really read too much into these things.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:27pm
Did Suarez not go on his biting spree around the time he would have been in the running to win it? Would imagine that would have played a big part in the decision.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Man Utd had the most expensively assembled squad in history for a couple of years there and all they did was finish 4th, 6th and win a couple of second rate cups.
So you can't really read too much into these things.

It does get you the longest unbeaten record in club history though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

There's no way Suarez should have won one he has never had a better season than Messi.

Xavi in 2010 perhaps should have won it.

It's laughable that Xavi didn't win it in 2010. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:06pm

There's no way Suarez should have won one he has never had a better season than Messi.

in 2015 / 2016 season many people thought Suarez had a better season than Messi.

Suarez 
40 La Liga Goals and 16 Assists
8 Champions league
Other 11
Total 59 goals

Messi
26 La Liga Goals and 16 Assists
Total 41 goals

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 13 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

in 2015 / 2016 season many people thought Suarez had a better season than Messi.

Suarez 
40 La Liga Goals and 16 Assists
8 Champions league
Other 11
Total 59 goals

Messi
26 La Liga Goals and 16 Assists
Total 41 goals

Yep. Sensational season. I remember reading at the time that very few players had ever hit 40 goals in one season in La Liga. To not make the top 3 that season was a joke.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Suarez should probably have won it, or been very close to winning it once or twice. Did he not score 40 odd La Liga goals in 2016 iirc? As mentioned, it's all marketing now. Suarez, a biter, a lad suspended for racist comments, simply isn't the face that the top guys want as the 'best player in the world'. For Suarez to have never have made the top 3 at at any stage tells you everything about the award. It's a comedy show.

Can this bullsh*t of marketing picks the winner, be nipped in the bud as I have heard several of you mention it. 

The FIFA Ballon d'Or was awarded based on votes from international journalists and national team coaches and captains, who selected the players they deemed to have performed the best in the previous calendar year.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Suarez should probably have won it, or been very close to winning it once or twice. Did he not score 40 odd La Liga goals in 2016 iirc? As mentioned, it's all marketing now. Suarez, a biter, a lad suspended for racist comments, simply isn't the face that the top guys want as the 'best player in the world'. For Suarez to have never have made the top 3 at at any stage tells you everything about the award. It's a comedy show.

Can this bullsh*t of marketing picks the winner, be nipped in the bud as I have heard several of you mention it. 

The FIFA Ballon d'Or was awarded based on votes from international journalists and national team coaches and captains, who selected the players they deemed to have performed the best in the previous calendar year.

I know very well how it's picked! You couldn't have a worse selection process imo. Players voting for a world player of the year LOL it makes an absolute mockery of the whole thing. Most of these guys only watch a handful of games in a season in their spare time. Hence when you're a big name player, you're getting voted for by numerous people who are professional players, but really aren't any way fit to judge how well hundreds of players have performed over a year.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:58pm
Ok lets get a panel from football forums to pick the winners, as the national captains and managers and journalists are all clueless twonks that know nothing about the profession they have spent most of their lives working in 

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by kingofkings kingofkings wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/manchester-citys-%e2%82%ac878m-squad-the-most-expensive-in-history/ar-BBJ2i3g?li=AAdf4rm&ocid=iehp
The figure for City might reflect a "truth", but overall that article is worse than worthless - positively misleading, in fact.

For it doesn't reflect net transfer spending (i.e. including transfer receipts), nor does it even mention wages. For example, Sanchez "only" cost Man U £25m, but his wages are enormous. 

And Chelsea are listed in 5th place, ahead of Real Madrid(!), yet their net spend has gone down in recent years compared to City, MU, Liverpool, even Arsenal, since they're actually bringing in a lot of money from transferring/loaning their second string players. And if/when Hazard should depart, they will be losing their last truly world class player (Courteois too, I suppose, but gk's simply aren't as costly as midfielders or defenders these days, never mind strikers).

I guess it's because he's got a billion pound stadium to fund, but as the excellent 'Swiss Rambler' recently pointed out, Abramovic's spending on Chelsea hasn't been keeping up with the other big English clubs of late:

I *think* Liverpool's net spend is about £100 over the past 7 or so years. Chelsea must be ahead of that.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

I *think* Liverpool's net spend is about £100 over the past 7 or so years. Chelsea must be ahead of that.
I daresay you're right over 7 years, but more recently, Chelsea have been cutting back:
#CFC net spend has substantially fallen in last 2 seasons to £21m annual average, compared to £65m for 2011-15.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:25pm

Ok lets get a panel from football forums to pick the winners, as the national captains and managers and journalists are all clueless twonks that know nothing about the profession they have spent most of their lives working in 

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

WinkBig smileWink
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:30pm

Slur Alex !!!!

I rest my case.

PS Have you seen some of the 'regional' votes cast in the past. Laughable.

The only votes Roy Keane received in 2001 were from the Dutch (van Gaal) and Portugeuse managers.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:25pm

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">The FIFA </span><b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Ballon<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> d'Or was </span><b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">awarded<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> based on votes from international journalists and national team coaches and captains, who selected the players they deemed to have performed the best in the previous calendar year.</span>

I know very well how it's picked! You couldn't have a worse selection process imo. Players voting for a world player of the year LOL it makes an absolute mockery of the whole thing. Most of these guys only watch a handful of games in a season in their spare time. Hence when you're a big name player, you're getting voted for by numerous people who are professional players, but really aren't any way fit to judge how well hundreds of players have performed over a year.

But you know better cos you obviously watch every game in every league then?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">The FIFA </span><b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Ballon<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> d'Or was </span><b style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">awarded<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> based on votes from international journalists and national team coaches and captains, who selected the players they deemed to have performed the best in the previous calendar year.</span>

But you know better cos you obviously watch every game in every league then?
Ye lads are hilarious. I never said the captais of international sides know nothing about football. I said that, in general, there's no possible way they watch enough football to know who the best players are each year. As I presume they are actually preparing for games, or playing games a lot of the time and don't have time on a Saturday or Sunday to watch 5/6 full 90 minute games. So most just ho for the default option of the big name out there, Messi Ronaldo etc. Even if they've barely watched a full 90 minute game of that player in a year. As Gary pointed out as well, then there's the ' my buddy is the best player in the world' lark that goes on and tactical voting. Schweinsteiger a couple of years ago voting for Neuer, Ronaldo excluding Messi from his top 3, Messi excluding Ronaldo from his top 3. Vincent Kompany putting his national team mate Hazard at number 1. Such stuff is rampant when it comes to players and coaches voting. It is moronic to have these lads involved in the process.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:20pm
Well if you have an idea that does a better job than the players who play against each other, the coaches that prepare their teams to play against other players, or the journalists that get paid to watch the players, I'd love to hear it

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Well if you have an idea that does a better job than the players who play against each other, the coaches that prepare their teams to play against other players, or the journalists that get paid to watch the players, I'd love to hear it
I never mentioned journalists. You mean those lads whose profession it is to actually watch and analyse numerous games? Would you agree that in the main, the journalists would be far better qualified to pick players for such awards than players? Btw, is it not that every single national captain and manager are allowed to cast votes? I would say about 90 percent of those people have never been on the same pitch as the likes of Messi.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 13 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 509>
  Share Topic