You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbloke changes name to paddy power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Topic: bloke changes name to paddy power
    Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 7:07am
Power shift for Epi
September 03 2007

Tongan star Epi Taione has taken the bold step of changing his name on the eve of the World Cup - a controversial decision that will benefit his teammates, but has left the International Rugby Board (IRB) fuming.

Taione, who is no stranger to controversy, caused a big stir by changing his name to Paddy Power.

The name change itself would not have been a major problem, had it not been for the fact that it is also the name of an Irish bookmaker.

His name change is part of a five-figure sponsorship agreement with the bookmaker - which funded the cash-strapped Tonga team's preparations for the World Cup tournament.

The versatile Tongan - who can play either centre, wing or No.8 - changed his name by deed poll and will be called Paddy Power throughout the tournament.

The 125kg star saw his career in English rugby come to an end in February 2006, when he was banned for 18 weeks after pleading guilty to biting Munster and Ireland No.8 Denis Leamy in Sale's Heineken Cup loss to the Irish province. Having previously played for Tynedale and the Newcastle Falcons, he joined Japanese club side Sanyo Wild Knights.

The 28-year-old has set his sights on trying to fulfil a lifetime ambition of scoring a try against world champions England.

Tonga will play Brian Ashton's side in their final pool game on September 28, and Paddy Power (the bookmaker) have set odds of 7-1 on their namesake delivering what could prove an awkward moment for commentators unsure whether or not to subscribe to the marketing masterstroke.

Bookmaker Paddy Power admitted it was a dream come true to see his name feature at the Rugby World Cup.

"I was never good enough to play rugby in a World Cup and figured this was as close as I was going to get," he told the Sunday Star Times of New Zealand.

Taione is hoping his name change will bring a change of fortune for his country whose campaign kicks off against the USA in Montpellier on September 12.

"It's a great fun idea, I was happy to help when I was asked. I hope some of the luck of the Irish rubs off on us."

Taione's agent Nick Taylor of Phoenix Management admitted the opportunity to help the Tongans was too good to turn down.

"We are really appreciative of Paddy Power's efforts in help to supporting an emerging nation like Tonga," he said

Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 5:09am
thought that was a joke until I Googled it.. mad. What next? O'Shea might consider changing his name to Gianluca Zambrotta!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 5:28am
Quality bit of Advertising , Boyle sports need to sponser another player from an opposing team. Commentator: " and Boylesports dump tackles PaddyPower ! "

Speaking of beating , you cna get 10-1 for Israel to beat England on Sat , quality odds for a 2 horse race
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 5:48am
Good point Franco.....Hargreaves the latest England doubt, you'd have to throw a tenner on Israel for sure.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 5:48am

defo worth a flutter there FrancoB, thats quality odds!

yeah a few of the bookies should get on board....
Paddy Power sprays the ball wide to Hacketts bookmakers, who pings its up in the air for Laddy Brookes to chase, clotheslined by the big fella Murty's Mullingar bookmakers. 

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 8:03am
3 horse race franco... a draw is also a possibility, not too many dead heats in a two horse race but lots of draws in football....
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FrancoB View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2007 at 10:13am
yep, 7-2 for the third horse , still a nice price for a draw , but that is each way talk , on the head or nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic