Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Celtic Fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scottish Celtic Fans
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:53pm
Irish celtic fans might be able to answer this for me.

The auld fella read paddy crerands book where he said he wouldve loved to play for the republic if the granny rule was in at the time.the scottish team had a strong orange influence and the SFA too.crerands grandparents were from donegal and he was very proud of his irish ancestry.

just wondering how scottish celtic fans feel about the national team.im sure they like to see the celtic players do well.a lifelong cetic fan i know from glasgow has no time for the national team.from going to celtic games or going on the forums do they get behind the team nowadays?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Tiocfaidh Armani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiocfaidh Armani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:58pm

I would say most support Scotland and nearly all would have Ireland as a second team, with about 10-20% maybe who would support Ireland over Scotland. I have a lot of friends who would support Ireland over Scotland and who are openly hostile to the Scottish national team. But I'd say a healthy majority would support the Scottish team.

99% of them want England out on their arse as soon as possible as wellThumbs Up
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 6:06pm
What i like about scotland fans is when they travel they dont seem to bring many union jacks (unlike thoses flutefaces up above) just their national flags which look really impressive in the stands with all the different placenames on them.

A scottish away game would be great craic id say
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
3 Celtic threads and a Sheffield united thread- ffs
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

This thread is nothing to do with the celtic team as such.it was just a quick inquiry into celtic fans perspective of the scottish national team nowadays.its a legimate thread ken
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:01pm
I know a fella born and bred in glasgow, been in Castlebar for many years. He's a massive Celtic fan, meet him eery Thursday night at Castlebar Celtic draw and always enjoy his stories from games he's been to in Glasgow.

He always says he's been to a Scotland game twice, and it was twice too many. Very big Ireland fan and never nisses a game at home
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:06pm
i read somewhere that there were a lot of celtic fans including the celtic board of directors in the ireland end when scotland played ireland in1988 euro qualification ...hardly surprising...ended up with a scot putting the ball in the back of the english net in stuttgart in the finals
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

What i like about scotland fans is when they travel they dont seem to bring many union jacks (unlike thoses flutefaces up above) just their national flags which look really impressive in the stands with all the different placenames on them.

Why would they bring Union Jacks?
They are Scottish and proud.
The hate the English more than we do.
Their also looking to break away from the Union.

I always supported Scotland as a kid (excluding Ireland of course).
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Why would they bring Union Jacks?
They are Scottish and proud.
The hate the English more than we do.
Their also looking to break away from the Union.

I always supported Scotland as a kid (excluding Ireland of course).
scoti is latin for irish...so similar peoples
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:01pm
After living in Scotland for 7 years I can tell you that most Celtic fans don't really care too much about the national team. This is particularly the case the closer you get to Glasgow. The tartan army is a big attraction for fans outside the old firm as they know their clubs have little chance of being in the spotlight unlike their national team who used to regularly qualify for tournaments....that said they have the best (in terms of numbers) travelling support in the qualifiers. They take 3 or 4 times more fans than we do to away games.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

After living in Scotland for 7 years I can tell you that most Celtic fans don't really care too much about the national team. This is particularly the case the closer you get to Glasgow. The tartan army is a big attraction for fans outside the old firm as they know their clubs have little chance of being in the spotlight unlike their national team who used to regularly qualify for tournaments....that said they have the best (in terms of numbers) travelling support in the qualifiers. They take 3 or 4 times more fans than we do to away games.
and they can sing their national anthem like there is no tomorrow..!
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

1 Leeds
1 Reading
1 Southampton
2 Chelsea
2 Barca
2 Madrid
1 Bayern
2 Rangers
1 Villa
2 Liverpool
And 1 Sunderland

You forgot all these off yer list there Barlow Thumbs Up all on page 1 ffs
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by reabhloid reabhloid wrote:

And what nationality entitles them to play for the scottish football team ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Scottish Thumbs Up
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:25am

not true - numbers are broadly similar. understandable that our numbers are down for the last campaign though
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

not true - numbers are broadly similar. understandable that our numbers are down for the last campaign though

ok fair enough. I had a number of conversations with locals in Skopje and Bari who said they couldn't get over the number of Scots who were there in previous qualifying matches. Also a mate who's in the tartan army was filling me in on the numbers of supporters at away games and it certainly appears to be a lot more than what we bring. It would be understandable with football being their number 1 sport and having no other real challengers to it i.e. no GAA and rugby is very much a minority sport.  
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:51am
They brought massive support to Dublin last year for the Carling Nations Cup
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:17am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Scottish Thumbs Up

dont think so, as far as FIFA is concerned their nationailiy is British Their eligibility comes under  the singular nationality clause  in which your nationality entitles you  to play for more than one team ie British

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

dont think so Tom, they travel in  bigger numbers than we do. they took 8000 to Prague 2 years ago to watch a 4 6 0 formation half of them with out tickets and they havent qualified for anything since 98 ?

when the last time we took 8000 ? Paris in a WC play off

Edited by Newryrep - 21 Apr 2012 at 9:19am
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic