FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe GAA ban is alive and well

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The GAA ban is alive and well
    Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:46am
Forgive me for posting in the ROI forum but I got this in my eamil and felt it was appropriate, albeit in a mnor way!

I was disgusted to read in the Monaghan Post Newspaper this morning the case of a young Monaghan County GAA player, Clones' Michaela Newell, sister-in-law of Leeds United and Republic of Ireland footballer Jonathon Douglas, who was dropped from the All Ireland Final team this week because she also plays soccer.  This is a total disgrace and as a GAA fan I am disgusted that a young girl could be punished for playing another sport.  Please highlight this matter as I have been told that it is not the first time that soccer players in the Monaghan area have been dropped from gaelic teams but this is the worst case as she is going to miss out on a wonderful opportunity to play in an All Ireland final and to represent her county after years of training and dedication.

Michaela is a talented sports woman who plays Soccer and Basketball as well as GAA.  She plays for a soccer team who have just completed a league and cup double and plays for her school basketball team. 

In my opinion young people should be encouraged to play any sport they wish and this dictorial approach by the County GAA team is no more than a form of bullying.

yours in sport

Disgusted GAA Fan Monaghan
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:49am
Dekensian is the only word for that carry on. Joke! 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:50am
God i hate the GAA.
Justice Shark View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:56am
Yeh shocking stuff but that unfortunately still goes on especially in rural areas. I've seen it happen to people I know first hand myself. When GAA training starts and if a chap plays both Football and GAA, the chap is "obliged" to train with the GAA team.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:59am
Are we surprised at these bigots?
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 12:45pm
Absolute load of sh*te.......shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.Angry
Will ask around at home this weekend, maybe there is more to the story
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:14pm
Dekensian is a good word but there are others!!!!
I remember Robbie Keane like most youngsters playing GAA and the foreign muck at school and like most players of both sports enjoying it. If we still have the sort of mentality shown by some of the rednecks in Monaghan then what hope is there of peace in our time? There is only one thing I can say to that and it is GO KISS THE ARCHBISHOPS RING. Don't know if that means anything and does sound homoerotic but it makes as about much sence as this ban. Lets hope the girl goes on to play for Ireland and becomes a big star. In fact she should be our page three girl for YBIG 16.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:31pm

Absolutely ridiculous if that’s true its about time some people in the GAA just got into the real world, really don’t know exactly what they are afraid of, think most people to be fair have moved on in the GAA and realised that there is room for many sports in this country, guess you will never change the attitude of some.

Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:48pm
Sad sad people who still live in this little bubble!!
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 2:59pm
c**tS
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 3:35pm
There must be more to this story as if she has just completed a cup and league double with her  soccer team as said in original post, she must have been playing all summer.. Therefore why is she only getting dropped now and not in previous games.

But unfortunately this is happening to certain players in the GAA, not as bad though in recent years i thought..
Brendan Devenney was told few years back..harps or Donegal. opted for harps..
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 5:15pm
Interesting Read That, Here in North Wicklow and South Dublin , young lads and lassies are being encouraged to play Football and Soccer, and whatever, basketball etc,  Theres a realism that all sports are competing with each other and when the Kids get that bit older they will then make a choice and commit to whatever sport they like/are good at/or have looked after them the most, Being a fan of all sport Counties like Monaghan will always toe the Party Line, Such  a bigoted view, Can anyone recall how They voted on the Vote to allow Soccer in Croker??
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Counties like Monaghan will always toe the Party Line, Such  a bigoted view, Can anyone recall how They voted on the Vote to allow Soccer in Croker??

Ulster as a whole were one of the main opponents to lifting rule 42.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 5:25pm
I know that Jim, Fair PLay, but Monaghan in Particular?
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Bondvillain View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

I know that Jim, Fair PLay, but Monaghan in Particular?

Monaghan registered their 6 delegates as voting against the opening of Croke park. In Ulster, only the Cavan and Donegal boards were in favour of suspending Rule 42.

I'd reckon there may be more to this Girl's case than meets the eye, though...
Forza Verde!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 2:58am
That's dreadful and I think that needs to be followed up......Tuff Paddy would you be interested in that?

I think GerK, how about interview with this lassie for the next issue?
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 3:11am

Yez sure are jumping the gun here a bit when yez dont know the true facts of the story

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 3:24am
Here's the article lads.........

THE Monaghan Ladies GAA team are hoping to take home their third All Ireland title this weekend despite facing heavy odds against bookies favourite Cork.
According to Boylesports.com, Monaghan are the clear underdogs going into this Sunday’s game in Croke Park, with odds of 10/3. Cork, meanwhile, are currently tipped to take the title with odds of 2/7.
Monaghan captain Niamh Kindlon from Magheracloone is quietly confident that the ‘Oriel Girls’ can overcome the Rebels in their seventh All Ireland appearance.
“We’re taking a leaf out of Tyrone’s book from last week and hope to take inspiration from their performance,” she told the Monaghan Post yesterday.
Mayor of County Monaghan Matt Carthy is calling on locals to fly the Monaghan colours outside their homes and businesses in advance of the final and to travel to Croke Park on Sunday.
“The Ladies Senior Football Team has done us all proud by reaching the All-Ireland Final often against the odds and, in some instances, in the wake of tragedy. They deserve our full support as they head into their greatest challenge yet,” said Mayor Carthy. “We should aim to ensure that Monaghan have the greatest support ever seen in Croke Park for a Ladies All-Ireland final.”
If ticket sales are anything to go by, the girls will have plenty of support from their home county as a spokeswoman from the Ladies Gaelic Football Association said tickets were “going very well”. She added that there had been “an awful lot of interest” this week and said organisers were expecting a good attendance.
Meanwhile, controversial claims emerged this week suggesting a player was unfairly dropped from the panel six days before the ladies blue ribbon event. Clones mother Yvonne Newell told the Monaghan Post yesterday that her 17-year-old daughter, Michaela, was let go from the panel last Monday (Sept 22).
“The reason given was that she had not attended training sufficiently and was ‘lacking in commitment’. Michaela’s commitment should never have been questioned as against my advice and wishes she also refused to go to weddings, our family holidays had to be cut short and Michaela also abstained from many social nights of celebrations, so that her GAA would not suffer and her commitment would never be questioned,” said Mrs Newell.
She believes Michaela may have been dropped due to her soccer commitments. Michaela is on the Monaghan United Ladies Soccer Team, which won the National Intermediate Cup Final on Sunday last (Sept 21).
“We feel this is not the way to treat a young team player who has worked so hard and given up so much. I fail to understand why she was ‘dropped’ from the team so far into the season and only six days from such an event. If soccer was an issue, why at this point and not before?” said Yvonne.
Mrs Newell said her daughter’s dedication to sport was an inspiration to others. In addition to the county panel, Michaela plays for Clones Ladies GFC at minor and senior level and represents Largy College in basketball and Gaelic football.
“If the GAA wants to encourage young people to be involved in its traditions, this is not the way to treat them. Those given management positions over such young members of our sporting community should be able to demonstrate tact and empathy when dealing with this vulnerable age group,” Mrs Newell concluded.
Mrs Newell has penned a letter to the ladies management team outlining her concerns however, she is wishing the team well for Sunday’s game. Ladies Manager John McAleer was unavailable for comment when the Monaghan Post tried to contact him yesterday.
Croke Park will also play host this Sunday to Derry and London in the Junior Ladies Final at 12pm and Clare and Tipperary in the Intermediate Ladies Final at 2pm. Throw-in for the Senior match between Monaghan and Cork is at 4pm.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic