You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rangers supporters in Ireland thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

I think all opposition players should be booed. Would create a good intimidating atmosphere

no problem booing opposing players be it star players or dirty players.  However booing them because they play for a rival British club to the one you support is sick.
Sponsored Links

ScotsIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotsIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
Bit of a rangers love in this, a taxi driver (rangers fan) won't even speak to you when they hear the Irish accent, walk into the wrong pub with an Irish accent, you won't be walking out! I'm sure there are loads of rangers fans here, how many have been to a game and if they did how many would go back!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Jbyrne Jbyrne wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I have no time for booing players , i really don't like it.

But seeing as we're all Irish fans is booing Paul Green and Paul McShane not worse than the odd "Celtic fan" booing an ex or current Rangers player if there happens to be one on the opposing team?

never heard either being booed.

it was never an "odd" celtic fan booing rangers players. in fact a load of northen celtic fans turned up to the match last year against the north with the sole purpose of abusing the norths players. was unfortunately right beside them

Green was booed (not deafening boo's now) where i was sitting for the Czech game.

But there was only one Rangers players on the pitch when Ireland played the North , this was not an Old Firm game you see those "Celtic fans" were at the game as Ireland fans , so in fact it was Irish fans booing Northern Irish players. 

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Spudgunn1980 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

[QUOTE=Roberto Baggio]Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.
You've obviously never heard the famine song!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Spudgunn1980 Spudgunn1980 wrote:

[QUOTE=Roberto Baggio]Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

I posted up a comment in the previous page highlighting that , but did he reply no. When you have an answer the majority won't write back because they have no answer to give back , which shows up their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Why do they bother Embarrassed
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:58pm
I don't see why people are making a big deal out of booing a player. It's not a big deal.
I see Suarez gets booed at every ground he plays at, and I am sure other players gets booed as well. (Awaits chorus of Suarez is a ****s etc..)

It's not behavior I engage in but I've no issues with it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of booing a player. It's not a big deal.
I see Suarez gets booed at every ground he plays at, and I am sure other players gets booed as well. (Awaits chorus of Suarez is a ****s etc..)

Its just to have a go at Celtic really , you pull any of the Celtic haters up or prove them wrong and they don't reply very sad really.

Spudgunn1980 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by Spudgunn1980 Spudgunn1980 wrote:

I posted up a comment in the previous page highlighting that , but did he reply no. When you have an answer the majority won't write back because they have no answer to give back , which shows up their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Why do they bother Embarrassed
Its so sad that their dislike of a club seems to blur the facts in their heads. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not winding up here, and i know this thread was started as one of those completely unfunny and at this stage played out ybig 'jokes', however, are these people from Galway, Dublin or wherever that you know who support the Huns serious fans or just doing it for a bit of attention seeking and winding up?

do they support ireland as well?
What do they think of every Irish international that plays at Ibrox being roundly booed for example?

Brian Kerr is a Rangers fan as was his father and grandfather.  3 recent Irish Internationals Ritchie Sadlier, Alan Maybury and a 3rd who hasn't gone public are/were Rangers fans. 

I know quite a few Rangers fans in the Republic and they are as serious as your average Man United or Liverpool fan eg 1 home game every couple of seasons and watch the games on tv. 

I know of one of our regular aways fans under Jack who also followed Rangers everywhere at the time incl numerous european aways.  Haven't seen him at any of our games recently.

I know of a family of season ticket holders in the Aviva who went to Ibrox at least once this season and do follow Rangers - father went a bit more often before he had the kids.  

A former colleague goes to most home games and went to Japan(his only aways afaik although he could well be in Poland) and went to quite a few Rangers games.

Just because Rangers fans don't feel the need to show their British club allegiances at RoI games doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

You need to brush up on your knowledge Embarrassed I can stay here all day and post up fact after fact , link after link if you want.

Do you not remember Rangers no signing Catholics policy? Now don't tell me that wasn't just a cover up to not sign Irish players , a club who has openly adopted "No Surrender" , Rangers in total haven't had more than 8 Irish players on their books in their history etc etc yet another clueless post from a person who knows f**k all about Scottish football!

Plenty of Rangers fans kicked up over the signing of Alan Smith "the fenian" so iv'e seen him called.

It is almost certain Rangers did operate a "no catholics" policy from at least the 1950's to the 1980's.  I fail to see how that could be anti Irish as opposed to anti Spanish.  They have since signed a number of RC players and tried to sign a number of Irish players.

The Billy Boys is certainly sectarian and there is no doubt there is a sectarian minority to the Rangers support.  Likewise the Celtic support has a sectarian minority

Rangers have an active supporters club in Dublin.

I've heard the anti Irish jibe thrown at a number of British clubs funnily enough incl Sunderland.  There was certainly an anti Irish element in Britain in the past and some of it would have manifested itself in football.    However an element of the Celtic support trying to portray Rangers as anti Irish doesn't hold water in my book and is merely trying to extend what is a club rivalry and try and obtain some moral high ground.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:36pm

Not winding up here, and i know this thread was started as one of those completely unfunny and at this stage played out ybig 'jokes', however, are these people from Galway, Dublin or wherever that you know who support the Huns serious fans or just doing it for a bit of attention seeking and winding up?

What do they think of every Irish international that plays at Ibrox being roundly booed for example?

Brian Kerr is a Rangers fan as was his father and grandfather.  3 recent Irish Internationals Ritchie Sadlier, Alan Maybury and a 3rd who hasn't gone public are/were Rangers fans. 

I know quite a few Rangers fans in the Republic and they are as serious as your average Man United or Liverpool fan eg 1 home game every couple of seasons and watch the games on tv. 

I know of one of our regular aways fans under Jack who also followed Rangers everywhere at the time incl numerous european aways.  Haven't seen him at any of our games recently.

I know of a family of season ticket holders in the Aviva who went to Ibrox at least once this season and do follow Rangers - father went a bit more often before he had the kids.  

A former colleague goes to most home games and went to Japan(his only aways afaik although he could well be in Poland) and went to quite a few Rangers games.

Just because Rangers fans don't feel the need to show their British club allegiances at RoI games doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

You need to brush up on your knowledge Embarrassed I can stay here all day and post up fact after fact , link after link if you want.

Do you not remember Rangers no signing Catholics policy? Now don't tell me that wasn't just a cover up to not sign Irish players , a club who has openly adopted "No Surrender" , Rangers in total haven't had more than 8 Irish players on their books in their history etc etc yet another clueless post from a person who knows f**k all about Scottish football!

Plenty of Rangers fans kicked up over the signing of Alan Smith "the fenian" so iv'e seen him called.

It is almost certain Rangers did operate a "no catholics" policy from at least the 1950's to the 1980's.  I fail to see how that could be anti Irish as opposed to anti Spanish.  They have since signed a number of RC players and tried to sign a number of Irish players.

The Billy Boys is certainly sectarian and there is no doubt there is a sectarian minority to the Rangers support.  Likewise the Celtic support has a sectarian minority

I've heard the anti Irish jibe thrown at a number of British clubs funnily enough incl Sunderland.  There was certainly an anti Irish element in Britain in the past and some of it would have manifested itself in football.    However an element of the Celtic support trying to portray Rangers as anti Irish doesn't hold water in my book and is merely trying to extend what is a club rivalry and try and obtain some moral high ground.

It is certain.

How many foreign players were moving to British clubs in the 80s ffs , thats a petty reason.

There was a limited number of foreign players allowed play per team also so to compare Irish and Spanish players at that time is nonsense.

LOL ?????? Who have Rangers genuinely tried to sign thats Irish , no media bullsh*t i want hard evidence as too what Irish players Rangers made bids for in the past 20 years. Bearing in mind you said "a number" of players.

A minority are you taking the piss? Confused

Rangers were always anti-Irish and anti-Catholic , funny how their biggest rivals were pro-Irish and supported by a majority Catholic fan base but were also open to Protestant players , fans and managers to join the club.

Rangers havent had 10 Irish players in their history to have togged out for them in a 130 years , now don't start comparing the likes of Doncaster or West Brom (for example) with Rangers when it comes to not signing Irish players because i'm not buying it. 

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Apr 2012 at 3:41pm

Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm

But seeing as we're all Irish fans is booing Paul Green and Paul McShane not worse than the odd "Celtic fan" booing an ex or current Rangers player if there happens to be one on the opposing team?

it was never an "odd" celtic fan booing rangers players. in fact a load of northen celtic fans turned up to the match last year against the north with the sole purpose of abusing the norths players. was unfortunately right beside them

Green was booed (not deafening boo's now) where i was sitting for the Czech game.

But there was only one Rangers players on the pitch when Ireland played the North , this was not an Old Firm game you see those "Celtic fans" were at the game as Ireland fans , so in fact it was Irish fans booing Northern Irish players. 

funny they only came to the match against the north. i sit in an area with season ticket holders and never seen these lads before or since. also, what has the celtic jerseys and flags they had got to do with supporting Ireland??

Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Its just to have a go at Celtic really , you pull any of the Celtic haters up or prove them wrong and they don't reply very sad really.

this is the post that brought us on to booing players. cant have it both ways

Edited by Jbyrne - 18 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:54pm

funny they only came to the match against the north. i sit in an area with season ticket holders and never seen these lads before or since. also, what has the celtic jerseys and flags they had got to do with supporting Ireland??

So does an item of clothing define a supporter Confused

I could wear an Australian rugby jersey to the game against Bosnia , does that mean i'm not supporting Ireland Confused

Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:57pm
I remember seeing a Kerry jersey at a Liverpool match before! while it was odd enough, i wasn't in any doubt who he was supporting that day
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm

Linfield jersey in the middle of the Nothern Irish support , what has that got to do with supporting Northern Ireland? Oh wait , there were Linfield players playing.

Darren O'Dea on the books of Celtic , not to mention Given and Keane are two ex Celtic players who could be the boyhood hero's of Celtic/Irish fans at that game. So is there any difference between a Linfield N.I. fan wearing his jersey with pride while still supporting N.I. , to a Celtic fan wearing a Celtic top with pride while supporting Ireland? Especially when there are current and ex players of both clubs on the pitch?

Did you also not think given the recession , some people may not have the money to buy both Ireland and Celtic jerseys or whatever jersey whenever they feel? 

P.S. in an ideal world i'd love if everyone would wear Ireland jerseys to the games , but an item of clothing doesnt always define a supporter! 

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Apr 2012 at 4:15pm

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:40pm

It is certain.

How many foreign players were moving to British clubs in the 80s ffs , thats a petty reason.

There was a limited number of foreign players allowed play per team also so to compare Irish and Spanish players at that time is nonsense.

LOL ?????? Who have Rangers genuinely tried to sign thats Irish , no media bullsh*t i want hard evidence as too what Irish players Rangers made bids for in the past 20 years. Bearing in mind you said "a number" of players.

A minority are you taking the piss? Confused

Rangers were always anti-Irish and anti-Catholic , funny how their biggest rivals were pro-Irish and supported by a majority Catholic fan base but were also open to Protestant players , fans and managers to join the club.

Rangers havent had 10 Irish players in their history to have togged out for them in a 130 years , now don't start comparing the likes of Doncaster or West Brom (for example) with Rangers when it comes to not signing Irish players because i'm not buying it. 

If there was an anti Irish policy at Rangers rather than an anti Catholic one surely it would be easier to cover it up by signing Scottish and English Catholics. 

They actually tried to sign Kevin Sheedy and Andy O'Brien at least.  In both cases the player refused late in the day.  As has been mentioned Alan smith is on their books and Alan Kernaghan is on the coaching staff.  The also tried to sign a guy from the north east a couple of years ago and he had to pull out because of local bigots threatening him.  Can't recall the name but I'm sur ehte article is out on the web somewhere.     
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:44pm

Linfield jersey in the middle of the Nothern Irish support , what has that got to do with supporting Northern Ireland? Oh wait , there were Linfield players playing.

Darren O'Dea on the books of Celtic , not to mention Given and Keane are two ex Celtic players who could be the boyhood hero's of Celtic/Irish fans at that game. So is there any difference between a Linfield N.I. fan wearing his jersey with pride while still supporting N.I. , to a Celtic fan wearing a Celtic top with pride while supporting Ireland? Especially when there are current and ex players of both clubs on the pitch?

Did you also not think given the recession , some people may havent got the money to buy both Ireland and Celtic jerseys whenever they feel?

P.S. in an ideal world i'd love if everyone would wear Ireland jerseys to the games , but an item of clothing doesnt always define a supporter! 

do you seriously think that celtic jerseys are worn by Irish "fans" because O'Dea was on their books or because given and keane played for them?? also, celtic shirts at Ireland matches long before the recession!

the reason celtic fans wear their jerseys to Ireland matches is that its another arena to show their celtic support. it has zilch to do with supporting Ireland in my view.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:45pm

have they ever had an irish player play for their first team?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic