You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:11pm
Makes the squad.
Sponsored Links

SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
Great to see Matt has traveled to Copenhagen with the squad, not least because MO'N has decided the extra cover at full back could be useful! 
Seamus Coleman is Sligo ONLY
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by SportingRizzlaCF SportingRizzlaCF wrote:

Great to see Matt has traveled to Copenhagen with the squad, not least because MO'N has decided the extra cover at full back could be useful! 

Absolutely. With Ward and Christie both on bookings it was imperative we had full back cover. Doherty can play both sides to which is even better.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Absolutely. With Ward and Christie both on bookings it was imperative we had full back cover. Doherty can play both sides to which is even better.

Not to mention he is a better right back than Christie.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm

And only goes to highlight a ball dropped by MON. Cover provided by a player with no experience at this level. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm

agreed
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
Assist tonight.

Also scored vs Reading on the weekend.

Edited by Maccatacca - 22 Nov 2017 at 9:22pm
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
premier league player before our first NL game hopefully. Could he slot in LB?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Has looked comfortable at leftback in the past.

Was reading what Wolves fans have to say about him and they reckon he’s been one of their players of the season. Wouldn’t count my chickens yet, regarding Wolves in the Premier League next season.

Edited by Maccatacca - 22 Nov 2017 at 9:55pm
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Was reading what Wolves fans have to say about him and they reckon he’s been one of their players of the season. Wouldn’t count my chickens yet, regarding Wolves in the Premier League next season.

Its a long season but they're playing unreal stuff from what Ive read and spent loads of money over the summer too...You'd have to imagine a playoff spot is guaranteed at least
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:59pm

Its a long season but they're playing unreal stuff from what Ive read and spent loads of money over the summer too...You'd have to imagine a playoff spot is guaranteed at least

Hopefully for Doherty’s sake anyway! The Championship is a mental league though, but Wolves are well poised.
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm

Hopefully for Doherty’s sake anyway! The Championship is a mental league though, but Wolves are well poised.

Wolves are 1/10 to be promoted!! Terrible odds considering the nature of the championship as you said
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:27am
Mick is doing a great job to be fair.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 3:49pm
Very good write up on Matt, and how he is central to Wolves hopes of Premier League promotion.

This guy can play at both left and right back, it’s crazy how he hasn’t been integrated sooner at international level.

Thankfully he’s only 25, and hopefully has several years ahead of him in green.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/11/29/comment-indispensable-matt-doherty-can-go-places-with-wolves/
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 5:29pm
Seems a player from this. Haven't seen him play. Any Wolves fans care to comment on him?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:55pm
Interview with Matt Doherty by Paul Rowan in today's Sunday Times. Behind one of these login things. 

Not too bothered about Ireland, mentioned when he was first called up a year ago, he was told to go away and improve on fitness, defending, and for some reason, defending at the far post. Seemed to be a bit underwhelmed by his latest call up this time around too. His attitude seems to be ' I'm playing well, there isn't any more I can do' 

Maybe he is just being honest and that's fair enough, but I think sometimes it isn't any harm for these lads to indulge in cliches in situations like this, the interview won't endear him to the manager (particularly one as prickly as MON) when it was as easy to say 'I am getting closer to the squad/team and hopefully if I keep me head down and keep playing well the gaffer will give me a chance'' type thing, then nobody is any the wiser. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Interview with Matt Doherty by Paul Rowan in today's Sunday Times. Behind one of these login things. 

Not too bothered about Ireland, mentioned when he was first called up a year ago, he was told to go away and improve on fitness, defending, and for some reason, defending at the far post. Seemed to be a bit underwhelmed by his latest call up this time around too. His attitude seems to be ' I'm playing well, there isn't any more I can do' 

Maybe he is just being honest and that's fair enough, but I think sometimes it isn't any harm for these lads to indulge in cliches in situations like this, the interview won't endear him to the manager (particularly one as prickly as MON) when it was as easy to say 'I am getting closer to the squad/team and hopefully if I keep me head down and keep playing well the gaffer will give me a chance'' type thing, then nobody is any the wiser. 

Maybe he’s spot on.

We’ve a squad full of lads like Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick who say the ‘right’ thing and do absolutely f**k all on the pitch.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:35am

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Maybe he’s spot on.

We’ve a squad full of lads like Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick who say the ‘right’ thing and do absolutely f**k all on the pitch.

Spot on in affecting to be indifferent about whether he plays for Ireland or not ?? Can't see how that works in his favour. Some people are realistic enough to know that for some players, playing international football isn't all that big a deal, but it isn't exactly a great message to send out to the manager or fans, I don't see any positives in it from his point of view. Should he be called in to further squads, I'd say the next interview will be another one from the footballer's book of cliches ''I never said them things'' ''I was misinterpreted'' type one. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 138>
  Share Topic