Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 138>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Doesn't really matter how they pronounce it, that's simply not the correct pronunciation of the name. It's an Irish name, the Irish pronunciation is the only "right" one.
So you’re saying the person is pronouncing their own name incorrectly LOL even for you that’s a stretch 
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Worst one English commentators say is KAYhill instead of Cahill and then Irish people using same. Does my nut. 
Even when the player himself pronounces it as 'Kayhill'? It is Gary and Tim Kayhill, Ollie Cahill. Good commentators will make an effort to find out how the player pronounces it.

I am not buying this 'Hughban' sh*t from Pat Hoban though. He can f**k off with that nonsense.LOL
LOL
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
"I am terribly sorry sir, but I heard you say your name there and you're saying it wrong."
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:46pm

"I am terribly sorry sir, but I heard you say your name there and you're saying it wrong."
LOL
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:52pm
That Huban sh*te grinds my bollox. Its f**king HOban ffs .
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Doesn't really matter how they pronounce it, that's simply not the correct pronunciation of the name. It's an Irish name, the Irish pronunciation is the only "right" one.
So you’re saying the person is pronouncing their own name incorrectly LOL even for you that’s a stretch 

Yes, words have standardised pronunciations. Some words have more than one legitimate pronunciation (eg Maher); while others (like Cahill) do not. There's only one correct way to pronounce Cahill; now people can choose to say it however they want, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should indulge their mistake.
We're decent enough..
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:20pm

Yes, words have standardised pronunciations. Some words have more than one legitimate pronunciation (eg Maher); while others (like Cahill) do not. There's only one correct way to pronounce Cahill; now people can choose to say it however they want, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should indulge their mistake.

Well, which is it then? Is it names having a standardised pronunciation, or is it where they originate from?

If more people (i.e. in the UK/US/Australia) pronounce a name Doc-herty, or Shaw-nessy, Kay-hill - does that not mean that that is the correct way to say it? (of course not)

If the name (Doherty) originates from Inishowen in Donegal, where everyone pronounces Docherty - does that mean that that is the correct way to say it and all other forms wrong? (of course not)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:27pm
i have the final say on this guys and i say its doherty. Ok
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Well, which is it then? Is it names having a standardised pronunciation, or is it where they originate from?

If more people (i.e. in the UK/US/Australia) pronounce a name Doc-herty, or Shaw-nessy, Kay-hill - does that not mean that that is the correct way to say it? (of course not)

If the name (Doherty) originates from Inishowen in Donegal, where everyone pronounces Docherty - does that mean that that is the correct way to say it and all other forms wrong? (of course not)

Well done on failing to highlight to relevant sentence right after the one you did (ie the relevant one in relation to a name like Doherty). In a case where a name has two or more legitimate/standardised/indigenous pronunciations (or however else you want to phrase it), then best practice would probably be to pronounce it in the fashion the person does. The likes of "kayhill" and "Key-oh", however, aren't pronounced that way anywhere in Ireland, and thus are simply incorrect.

Edited by The O'Shea - 08 Apr 2019 at 7:14am
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:16am
I wonder will we see Mick reverse the setup during one of the games.

i.e. Coleman at right wing and Doherty behind him at right back.

Looking back over his career Coleman has played right wing a few times
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

not going to happen i'd say. looks like doherty is going to again be sidelined.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is this what Mick told you?
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:34am

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Is this what Mick told you?

actually ya pretty much that is what Mick told all of us.

Edited by doherty - 08 Apr 2019 at 9:35am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:17am

That's how they finished against Georgia. Think Coleman was too knackered to get back after a final break forward so he told Doherty to go to right back.

I think Coleman dropping back when Doherty overlaps could work but I'd  be nervous trying it over 90 minutes and there's no way Mick will try  it against Denmark. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:33am

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Worst one English commentators say is KAYhill instead of Cahill and then Irish people using same. Does my nut. 
Even when the player himself pronounces it as 'Kayhill'? It is Gary and Tim Kayhill

Fairly sure Gary was Gary Cahill in his Villa days, he only became Kayhill at a later stage
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

That's how they finished against Georgia. Think Coleman was too knackered to get back after a final break forward so he told Doherty to go to right back.

I think Coleman dropping back when Doherty overlaps could work but I'd  be nervous trying it over 90 minutes and there's no way Mick will try  it against Denmark. 

To be fair that was a once-off. It was more common-sense than anything else, considering Coleman was out of position and there was little time left in the game. I don't think we'll ever see a pairing of Doherty at RB and Coleman at RM.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:58pm
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:25pm
another goal for Young Dockerty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 138>
  Share Topic