You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:09pm
Thought he had an excellent game last night before tiring late on. Not hearing much about him on here, probably cos a lot of lads had decided they didnt want him in their starting XIs. Real driving force down the LHS and some real clever interplay in tight spots. Matt remains one of the top players in this team, let's all just hope he finds a proper solution at club level.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Thought he had an excellent game last night before tiring late on. Not hearing much about him on here, probably cos a lot of lads had decided they didnt want him in their starting XIs. Real driving force down the LHS and some real clever interplay in tight spots. Matt remains one of the top players in this team, let's all just hope he finds a proper solution at club level.

I seem to remember a great driving run in the first half past 2 or 3 french and won a corner  - only for it to be played short and we subsequently we didnt even get it into the box Angry
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I seem to remember a great driving run in the first half past 2 or 3 french and won a corner  - only for it to be played short and we subsequently we didnt even get it into the box Angry

That was a frustrating corner all right, but to suggest we shouldnt occasionally try something different to move defenders around is foolish imo. There was a lot of just put it in the mixer groans around me in the stadium at the time. The idea wasnt the problem there imo (France dealt comfortably with our set pieces until the dying embers when panic set in), the execution was.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:20pm
In any case, I think Matt proved yet again that he is the best wing back we have in the squad, on either side. Coleman remains the best out and out full back in the squad.
Idah Dream!
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:33pm
Best game in a green shirt imo
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Best game in a green shirt imo

Since the Portugal away game where he also played LWB.
Idah Dream!
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:40pm
Yeah good performance from him last night, his performances have really mirrored the Irish teams performances since Kenny has come in. Has played well against the bigger nations but has not been as effective in the games against the smaller sides.
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:42pm
i'm a huge doherty critic, he was class last night, goes to show when he puts his mind to it he can be quality. I know he was lacking game time etc against Latvia but i feel sometimes he's just mad to have a stroll around the pitch, far too casual. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

i'm a huge doherty critic, he was class last night, goes to show when he puts his mind to it he can be quality. I know he was lacking game time etc against Latvia but i feel sometimes he's just mad to have a stroll around the pitch, far too casual. 

He's always looked like that, he's just languid, it is no indication of either his desire or his ability.
Idah Dream!
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:53pm
Since leaving Wolves, he's now played under Mourinho, Conte and Simeone - 3 of the best defensive minded coaches in world. 

I'd love to see him force his way into the Atletico team and get another year there next season. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Since leaving Wolves, he's now played under Mourinho, Conte and Simeone - 3 of the best defensive minded coaches in world. 

I'd love to see him force his way into the Atletico team and get another year there next season. 

It was no coincidence that Kolo Muani was the worst of France's attacking three last night and Hernandez made very little ground down that flank. For all the criticism of Cullen and O'Shea for the goal, they did just as effective a job with Doherty as Coleman, Collins, Molumby and Ogbene did on the other flank.
Idah Dream!
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

It was no coincidence that Kolo Muani was the worst of France's attacking three last night and Hernandez made very little ground down that flank. For all the criticism of Cullen and O'Shea for the goal, they did just as effective a job with Doherty as Coleman, Collins, Molumby and Ogbene did on the other flank.

Hernandez the opposite side but agree with your sentiments, Pavard was non-existent and popped up with a belter 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 6:09am
I thought Kolo Muani was dangerous for the first half an hour. He was definitely more dangerous than Mbappe and Giroud, although even just having Mbappe on the pitch is a big enough threat in itself.

Considering the goals he scored, apparently Pavard (according to Phillippe Auclair) isn't that much of an attacking full-back, especially compared to Hernandez. It's a pity we didn't get at him more, because he was booked quite early.

Dpherty is a classy player, and like a lot of our players, it's just a shame he doesn't play week in week out coming into the international games.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 7:38am
free agent in the summer as far as I see so will be interesting to see where he ends up.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

free agent in the summer as far as I see so will be interesting to see where he ends up.

He could end up anywhere with Mendes as his agent. An awful lot of Italian teams play with wing backs/5 at the back. Have often actually looked at Ebosele for example
and thought “does the Italian game suit you”. I look at Doherty and think it would definitely suit him!  

He hardly goes back to Wolves does he? LOL

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Mar 2023 at 1:28pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 1:39pm
If Mendes is as good an agent as they say, then Matt should be asking him to ensure he gets a move with as close to guaranteed first team football as he can. He is getting to an age where he will need to be playing regularly. I suspect this Atletico move was just an opportunistic thing given Spurs issues with player registrations and I would imagine it ensured Doherty's contract was paid up in full, so he has a healthy bank balance now, next step is to get himself back playing top tier football again in one of the Big 5 European Leagues, doesnt really matter where.
Idah Dream!
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:09pm
Eredivisie.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:12pm
Bohs 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 138>
  Share Topic