You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Eredivisie.

Absolutely not, unless it is with one of their top European competition teams Ajax or PSV. 
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:27pm
Probably back in the PL, he would be an asset for most teams. He was impressive against France, no doubts about his quality.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Probably back in the PL, he would be an asset for most teams. He was impressive against France, no doubts about his quality.

How many teams now play with WBs in the PL. Brentford are kinda the only team which I can think of. Forest did for a couple of games. If Sheffield United get promoted there's them.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:31pm

No good PL side plays with wing backs, with the exception of Chelsea. He won't be displacing Reece James that's for sure. I think he may well be better served exploring his options on the continent
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

No good PL side plays with wing backs, with the exception of Chelsea. He won't be displacing Reece James that's for sure. I think he may well be better served exploring his options on the continent

From our pov, all that matters is that he is playing regularly at top flight level, whether that be in Spain, Italy, Germany, France or England doesnt really matter.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 11:33am
Started for Atletico last night against  Besiktas, lost 2 nil. Hiss first start for them, played 65 minutes.
Anybody watch it?
At least he is starting to get some minutes, still an important player for us and it would be good to see him get some regular minutes on the run up to June.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Started for Atletico last night against  Besiktas, lost 2 nil. Hiss first start for them, played 65 minutes.
Anybody watch it?
At least he is starting to get some minutes, still an important player for us and it would be good to see him get some regular minutes on the run up to June.

Pity it was a friendly LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 1:19pm
It was a charity friendly. Taken off after 65 mins and looked well out of position for one of Besikats' goals going by the highlights. 
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It was a charity friendly. Taken off after 65 mins and looked well out of position for one of Besikats' goals going by the highlights. 

TBH It just popped up on my phone and I assumed it was some mid week European match or something, I didn't realise it was just a Friendly.
The move AM hasn't really worked out sofar. It was always going to take him a while to settle in there with moving on the last day of the transfer window to a new league , different culture and speaking a different language andwith other top players at the club playing in his position.
Sounds like the friendly didn't go great  for him but at least he got minutes into his legs.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 12:16pm
Odd that they still flaunt him on the SM channels “our number 12” etc

Maybe they do it for the whole squad, just what I’ve seen retweeted on twitter. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 10:05pm
Who cares how he does for Athletico, when we know he can do the business against France with virtually no games all season. Model pro
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Who cares how he does for Athletico, when we know he can do the business against France with virtually no games all season. Model pro

He’s in his 30s as well not like he’s a 21yo who needs to be developing/learning his trade. Atletico needed cover in that position he became available it suited all parties. 

It’s a feather in his cap and I suspect it was a short term solution to just get him out of that hellhole called Spurs! I think he will move on in the summer. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Apr 2023 at 10:22pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 3:30am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

He’s in his 30s as well not like he’s a 21yo who needs to be developing/learning his trade. Atletico needed cover in that position he became available it suited all parties. 

It’s a feather in his cap and I suspect it was a short term solution to just get him out of that hellhole called Spurs! I think he will move on in the summer. 

well he's already linked with a move to Kairat Almaty, can't see it myself but you never know
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 10:13pm
didnt think he would necessarily become a starter every week by end of the season but not going to lie, i did think by mid april he would have more than 1 sub app for 12 mins. hasn't been great
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 7:48am
Not a huge surprise but Doherty is being linked with various bottom half and newly promoted Premier League teams once his career break in Spain ends - Crystal Palace, Wolves, Burnley and Sheffield United.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 8:08am
I really can't see any way he returns to Wolves. We have been linked back with him the last few windows and it hasn't happened. We also play a back 4 now and Doc is not a PL quality full back especially at 31 even at his peak with us his defending wasn't really his strong point.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 9:18am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Not a huge surprise but Doherty is being linked with various bottom half and newly promoted Premier League teams once his career break in Spain ends - Crystal Palace, Wolves, Burnley and Sheffield United.
Very much doubt he will go to Burnley as they want to lower the age of the team and Kompany has said that also . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Very much doubt he will go to Burnley as they want to lower the age of the team and Kompany has said that also . 

Sheffield Utd would fit the bill nicely with their use of Wing Backs if he wanted to go back to England. 

Huge amount of clubs in Italy play with a back 5 if it would interest him too. 

I’m sure he will bide his time and make a sensible decision either way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 138>
  Share Topic