You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:10pm
I hope I'm wrong but I think this is the role Doherty can expect to have for the run in 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 9:57am
the transfer has been a bad one for Doherty. Hopefully he's learning a few new things from a great coach, and then hops back to the Premier League for a decent club in the summer. He'd be available as a free agent so surely some decent takers out there...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:08am
Could see him ending up back at Wolves by next season. He's basically on a little four month career break in Madrid at the moment.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:09am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

the transfer has been a bad one for Doherty. Hopefully he's learning a few new things from a great coach, and then hops back to the Premier League for a decent club in the summer. He'd be available as a free agent so surely some decent takers out there...

This can't be right - I was reading everywhere that it was a "Great move"!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 10:15am
Great for his bank balance alright I'd say.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

This can't be right - I was reading everywhere that it was a "Great move"!!

He also can boast that he's played for Athletico Madrid. No one can that away from him.i don't think it was a bad move for him at all. But he'll absolutely be back in the UK in the summer 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Was probably financially better off at Spurs, he had another 18 months to go on the contract he had terminated by mutual consent.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:48pm
Atletico
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:04pm

Could see him ending up back at Wolves by next season. He's basically on a little four month career break in Madrid at the moment.

Not much chance of that. He won't suit Julen Lopetegui's style which is largely a back 4 except for in game tweaks. We got 15m for him at his peak value so can't see us going back for a 31 year old.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Was probably financially better off at Spurs, he had another 18 months to go on the contract he had terminated by mutual consent.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't get most of that up front to walk away. He was in a strong negotiating position that day, Spurs wanted him to go but miscounted their overseas loans. He would have been under no pressure to accept a lowball payoff.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I'd be very surprised if he didn't get most of that up front to walk away. He was in a strong negotiating position that day, Spurs wanted him to go but miscounted their overseas loans. He would have been under no pressure to accept a lowball payoff.

Doesn't really make sense for them to pay him off for the final 18 months. Surely they'd have been in a better position to tell him to forget the loan, come back and stay with them as a squad player till the summer then sell him. They'd be quids in over paying him off and still have there as back up if needed now and then.

Those 18 months were worth nearly £5m in wages like. Keeping him until end of the season would have only cost them £1.2m in wages or there abouts then they'd be able to sell him for a low fee of maybe £3-5m with 12 months to go on his contract.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 1:10pm
Atletico play tonight away to Girona and have a home game vs valencia on Saturday. Hopefully Matt gets some minutes across those 2 games. Will likely need minutes vs Latvia in any case.
Idah Dream!
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:40pm
5 subs made, no dice
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

5 subs made, no dice

Irelands Matt Doherty for Atletico Madrid tonight 🇮🇪⚽️🔥🔥🔥

⏱ 90 minutes sat on the bench
📊 100% pass completion (0/0)
 🏹 7 accurate scratches of his arse
👏 2 Gloves unworn
🧠 3 Day Dreams
🪄 1 warm up started 💥 1 warm up completed
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm
Goal contributions 0
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 11:00pm
Has he actually had any minutes at all for AM? Feel for him, he comes across as a nice bloke and intelligent, unlike a lot of footballers. Seems to be one of those cases where a player was acquired by a club without the manager wanting him or having anything to do with it. Poor Mattie. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:50am
He came on in one game. Think they were about four goals ahead at the time. He'll be fine, he'll be back in the Premier League next season  Nice extended warm weather training camp in Spain for him.

Edited by You Tell Me - 19 Mar 2023 at 7:51am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:06am
Confirmed as captain for the Latvia clash. A bit young for the armband I'd have thought! Smile
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 138>
  Share Topic