Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:50am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Watch matt tonight,  he was solid 7 out of 10 performance. Just said I check twitter and spurs fans saying he sh*t tonight. They really hate him, I know he hasnt set the world alight but he gets ridiculous criticism from their fans at times.

Seems awfully familiar.

McClean, Hendrick, Hourihane, Whelan, McGeady, and to a lesser extent towards the later stages of their careers Given and Keane.

Before a call is even kicked these players are mocked, ridiculed, and ultimately made the scapegoat of past and present failures.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Watch matt tonight,  he was solid 7 out of 10 performance. Just said I check twitter and spurs fans saying he sh*t tonight. They really hate him, I know he hasnt set the world alight but he gets ridiculous criticism from their fans at times.

I think I see your problem.

There are "Spurs fans" on Twitter, and there are Spurs fans who actually go to games.

As one of the latter, I'd say that Spurs fans don't actively "hate" Doherty, they just don't rate him. And on the evidence of his performances to date, imo that is entirely valid, since he's been poor on the few occasions when he's got a chance. Poor at best.

Of course you might have said it was Mourinho who ruined him - he ruined better than him eg Dele - except that Nuno should have been the ideal manager to get a tune out of him. But he hasn't.

As regards others, Winks was always very popular at WHL - he's "one of our own", after all. But he's another who was ruined by Mourinho and with recent talk of him being on his way out from the club, I think most fans response would be "Shame - let's hope he gets his career back on track somewhere else"

While Ben Davies is respected for being a good pro, who doesn't complain when he's left out, but just gets on with it when he is selected.

The real "hatred" from Spurs fans is directed towards Lewis, Levy and the rest of the people in charge, not the players.

Oh and that absolute t**ser Mourinho, who managed to set us back 5 years in 18 months.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:02pm
Not in the Spurs matchday squad. 

Is he injured or just not making the squad? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Injured
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Went off injured against Qatar!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:03pm
"Republic of Ireland full-back Matt Doherty will miss Tottenham's UEFA Europa Conference League game with Vitesse Arnhem due to injury".

Not good, he's been relying on these games for minutes thus far. Thankfully the injury itself sounds minor enough. Hope his agent is trying to sort something out for January, ditto Hendrick.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

"Republic of Ireland full-back Matt Doherty will miss Tottenham's UEFA Europa Conference League game with Vitesse Arnhem due to injury".

Not good, he's been relying on these games for minutes thus far. Thankfully the injury itself sounds minor enough. Hope his agent is trying to sort something out for January, ditto Hendrick.

He pulled up early against Azerbaijan but soldiered on and seen out the game, played against Qatar a few days later but had to go off at HT with injury.

Cant be too serious, probably just niggles from not playing enough this season.

Hopefully Coleman and Stevens can stay fit in the mean time.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
Fit enough to make the bench tonight
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 3:49pm
Conte may end up taking a fancy to him.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm
I had thought the same, or more so that he will have a chance to impress like the rest of the players. But you'd have to worry how Santo barely used Doherty considering how well he played for him at Wolves. 

Doherty has done well for Ireland the past few games. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 4:21pm
Everyone thought Doherty was a shoe in to start at Spurs this season cos Santo knew him so well from his time at Wolves. Didnt work out so well. Hopefully Doherty get a chance to impress with Conte. Will only work out if Conte fancies wing backs though. Judging from teamsheets in his final match at Inter and again his final matches with Chelsea, he does play with them though, so Doherty could be lucky!

Edited by greenshoots - 01 Nov 2021 at 4:26pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 4:30pm
Conte is a three at the back guy. Doherty did do well under Santo at Wolves but Santo did also sell him as he made changes to the way Wolves played. Chances are Santo could have still bought Semedo and dropped Doherty.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:05pm
Didn't Conte use some Chelsea player that had been with the club for ages but barely played and made him a wing backand he helped them win the league.

Ah google my friend it was Victor Moses Thumbs Up

It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:21pm
Turned Marcos Alonso into a very decent attacking wing back also.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Can he do likewise with the young boy Doherty though?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Can he do likewise with the young boy Doherty though?

young docherty is still learning his trade, aiming for a u21 call up
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 7:53am
Doherty hasn’t done himself any favours in his performances for Spurs but some of that is due to him being a wing back playing as a full back.  On top of that a few of his colleagues won’t put in a shift.  Anyone who plays like that under Conte will be training with the U23s.  It’s a good chance for him.  He needs to really go for it.  If he plays like his recent games for Ireland, he has a shot.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
On the bench. 

So much for the theory that Conte would have any time for him either. 

Not Brazilian enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 138>
  Share Topic