You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

My worry for Doherty is especially against the other “top 6” and even against Leicester Everton Southampton pushing on is that Mourinho will see it as too much of a risk to start both himself and Reguilon. 

2 glorified wingbacks playing in a back 4 and unfortunately Reguilon is a stand out player really good so Doherty is the one the suffers. Il be honest I was sure he was planning on using a back 5 or even a 3-4-3 more likely when both Reguilon and Doherty signed as they really would have been tailor made for it the 2 of them. 

Will Doherty start the next day for Spurs who knows but if he doesn’t after Auriers mistake then that sends off alarm bells for me.

Aurier has been one of Spurs top performers this season and has made little to no mistakes, bar yesterday.

It would be extremely harsh on him to be dropped for one mistake.

I've been watching Aurier closely ever since he joined Spurs (I must have done something very bad in a previous life!) and trust me, he has never been one of our "top performers".

After 3 seasons when he was an absolute bomb scare, I was sure that when Doherty arrived, that would be the end of SA at Spurs; indeed they were punting him in France during the summer, but no-one had the money to sign him/pay his wages.

Now as it happens, Doherty hasn't (yet) performed as we had all hoped, and this season Aurier has been better than anything we've seen from him previously (not exactly hard, tbf). But if Mourinho has managed to instill a degree of discipline in Aurier's play this season, I really can't see it ever being permanent - as yesterday's fit of the head staggers proved. So whether he's back in the team for forthcoming games, or even the rest of the season, I'm sure JM has him on his list of departures, just as soon as it can be managed and a replacement in place.

As for Doherty, there is no way on earth that JM would agree to a signing just to accommodate his/their Agent and even if he did, no way Levy would permit it.

I have no doubt that Doherty was seen as the attacking RB Moutinho wanted to go with the attacking LB he got in Reguilon. (With a deep defensive block of Alderweirald and Dier behind two CDM's in Sissoko and Hjobjerg, all in front of a stay-on-your-line gk like Lloris, then JM clearly wants to see his FB's in this Spurs team attack more than he did with previous teams).

But even if he originally wanted Doherty, Mourinho is still quite capable of taking against a player who's not responding as he wishes, and dumping him again just as quickly. Which is not to write Doherty off just yet, but he really needs to get some games soon, ideally in the PL, to write himself back into Mourinho's plans, otherwise he risks being out the door with Aurier.

The January window will be interesting.

Edited by Territorial - 21 Dec 2020 at 5:42pm
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

My worry for Doherty is especially against the other “top 6” and even against Leicester Everton Southampton pushing on is that Mourinho will see it as too much of a risk to start both himself and Reguilon. 

2 glorified wingbacks playing in a back 4 and unfortunately Reguilon is a stand out player really good so Doherty is the one the suffers. Il be honest I was sure he was planning on using a back 5 or even a 3-4-3 more likely when both Reguilon and Doherty signed as they really would have been tailor made for it the 2 of them. 

Will Doherty start the next day for Spurs who knows but if he doesn’t after Auriers mistake then that sends off alarm bells for me.

Aurier has been one of Spurs top performers this season and has made little to no mistakes, bar yesterday.

I've been watching Aurier closely ever since he joined Spurs (I must have done something very bad in a previous life!) and trust me, he has never been one of our "top performers".

After 3 seasons when he was an absolute bomb scare, I was sure that when Doherty arrived, that would be the end of SA at Spurs; indeed they were punting him in France during the summer, but no-one had the money to sign him/pay his wages.

Now as it happens, Doherty hasn't (yet) performed as we had all hoped, and this season Aurier has been better than anything we've seen from him previously (not exactly hard, tbf). But if Mourinho has managed to instill a degree of discipline in Aurier's play this season, I really can't see it ever being permanent - as yesterday's fit of the head staggers proved. So whether he's back in the team for forthcoming games, or even the rest of the season, I'm sure JM has him on his list of departures, just as soon as it can be managed and a replacement in place.

As for Doherty, there is no way on earth that JM would agree to a signing just to accommodate his/their Agent and even if he did, no way Levy would permit it.

I have no doubt that Doherty was seen as the attacking RB Moutinho wanted to go with the attacking LB he got in Reguilon. (With a deep defensive block of Alderweirald and Dier behind two CDM's in Sissoko and Hjobjerg, all in front of a stay-on-your-line gk like Lloris, then JM clearly wants to see his FB's in this Spurs team attack more than he did with previous teams).

But even if he originally wanted Doherty, Mourinho is still quite capable of taking against a player who's not responding as he wishes, and dumping him again just as quickly. Which is not to write Doherty off just yet, but he really needs to get some games soon, ideally in the PL, to write himself back into Mourinho's plans, otherwise he risks being out the door with Aurier.

Cry
Yeah, but it could be worse - he's still somewhat better Michael Smith and Connor Mclaughlin. 

Edited by NewtNewbie - 21 Dec 2020 at 6:49pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Cry
Yeah, but it could be worse - he's still somewhat better Michael Smith and Connor Mclaughlin. 

So?

NI's current RB is Stuart Dallas, who's played 1251 of 1260 minutes for Leeds in the PL this season:
https://htwww.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=56147

(Btw in case you're wondering, I was very pleased when MD signed for Spurs, am disappointed he's not yet performed as per expectations, but still harbour hopes that he'll turn it round.)
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 7:25pm
think there is a little over dramaticism here , he has not been brilliant for tottenham but he has not been bad either , it is so so . he will get lots more chances this season there is little doubt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 7:25pm
Aurier is Spurs third highest performing player this season with an average rating of 7.14.

Highest rated defender and has made the most tackles but how and ever. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

think there is a little over dramaticism here , he has not been brilliant for tottenham but he has not been bad either , it is so so . he will get lots more chances this season there is little doubt

I'm sure you're right, but whether that's because Mourinho still rates him, or out of expediency (alternative is Aurier Shocked), must now be an open question.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 10:48pm

Aurier is Spurs third highest performing player this season with an average rating of 7.14.

Highest rated defender and has made the most tackles but how and ever. 

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Listen, there's no doubt Aurier has natural ability, physically at least. Which gives him the potential to be a good attacking FB (especially).

And it is his qualities of pace, strength, stamina and co-ordination etc which probably account for those stats. But it's no use having eg 10 surging runs down the wing in a game if your judgement is so crap that you then make a monumental screw-up in your own penalty area which costs you the feckin game!

And in any case, any list which has Aurier (and Doherty!) ahead of Hjobjerg is total bull, trust me. LOL

Postscript: I've just found this quotation about statistics I was thinking of:
“It is a little bit like the efficiency of players and sometimes you say: ‘The stats say Player B had 92% of efficiency in his passing.’ But the stats don’t say that player only made passes of two metres, they don’t say that the player was a centre-back who only passed to the other centre-back. Or a No 6 who only passed to a No 8.

“And the guy that had 65% of efficiency on his pass is the guy that made the assist, is the guy that makes the adept passes, is the guy that makes 60-metre passes to change the direction of the play. So the stats many, many times are like an incredible piece of meat or fish but badly cooked. It doesn’t tell me much. What tells me [much] is the number of goals you score and the number of chances that you create.” - José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix Wink

Edited by Territorial - 21 Dec 2020 at 11:05pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Doherty will start the next game id wager a bet

Hi Matt 

Hello
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 6:30pm
Matt starts for Spurs against Wolves.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm
Playing in a back 5 seemingly. Initially I wasn’t sure why Mourinho signed Doherty and then I see him sign Reguilon I was full sure he’d plans to go with a back 5 or a 3-4-3 as Reguilon like Doherty is essentially a wing back almost and is weak defensively.

Aurier playing has been partially down to Aurier playing well and has been as much about Mourinho being reluctant to play both Doherty and Reguilon in a back 4 together to my mind. Reguilon is quality and has been much better so Doherty has suffered in the bigger games particularly.

Tonight points to it hopefully formation works out personally think it’s huge potential with the players Spurs have at their disposal.

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Dec 2020 at 6:38pm
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:45pm

Playing in a back 5 seemingly. Initially I wasn’t sure why Mourinho signed Doherty and then I see him sign Reguilon I was full sure he’d plans to go with a back 5 or a 3-4-3 as Reguilon like Doherty is essentially a wing back almost and is weak defensively.

Aurier playing has been partially down to Aurier playing well and has been as much about Mourinho being reluctant to play both Doherty and Reguilon in a back 4 together to my mind. Reguilon is quality and has been much better so Doherty has suffered in the bigger games particularly.

Tonight points to it hopefully formation works out personally think it’s huge potential with the players Spurs have at their disposal.

I honestly believe he would still be in the championship if Nuno didn’t come to wolves and switch to a back 3. He’s a liability in a back 4 and I hope Kenny is taking note of this as well. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 12:02am
He’s a real wing back just looks so much more comfortable at wing back. If Nuno didn’t he probably would be yes.

I honestly believe he’d make a better centre back than a right back in a 4 with his physicality and he’s less vunreable to pacy wingers as such. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 11:01am
Thought matt played decently yesterday, although Mourinho's tactics were pure poison Dead most of wolves attacks came down the right side
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 1:16pm
Has started the last 3 games for Spurs now since Aurier messed up against Leicester.

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 2:19pm
Sent off, based on what Jose usually does he might not be seen for a few weeks after that 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Sent off, based on what Jose usually does he might not be seen for a few weeks after that 

Yeah, idiotic from him. Will have to wait for Auriers next mistake.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 2:25pm
I haven’t seen it but having just won back his place from Aurier and having three players suspended/banned for Covid infractions, this looks like a massively stupid thing to do in a game that you are winning 3-0
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Yeah, idiotic from him. Will have to wait for Auriers next mistake.

Why make such a challenge when 3-0 up and already on a yellow. Jose will not be happy with the stupidity.

Misses next game v Brentford (probably wouldn’t have started anyway) but I can see Aurier starting the next league game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 138>
  Share Topic