You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:28am
At least the barstoolers who have been screaming for his inclusion for the last two years will move on to something else now. He's an OK right back in our system, but Coleman has always been a mile ahead of him.

It will be interesting to see who their next target will be. Obafemi was flavour of the month there for a while but not so much since he lost his place at Southampton.

They'll probably just go back to Bamford again.
Sponsored Links

BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 1:49am
I was one of the people who wanted him starting ahead of Coleman, after that performance tonight Coleman should always start ahead of him when fit
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:00am
Coleman is a far superior full back to Doherty no two ways about it.
He was a big loss last night
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:22am
He was decent going forward but he couldn't get forward enough. He has been our best player by a distance at club level for 2 years, and because he hasnt replicated that form with Ireland, people are demanding we return to Seamus Coleman who has been poor in his recent games for Ireland. Coleman has had a few 4 or 5? decent games in a row and people are scrambling to get him back in.

Some lad above alluded to the Doherty thing being a bandwagon. Pot, meet kettle. 

Edited by E2016 - 09 Oct 2020 at 8:22am
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:29am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He was decent going forward but he couldn't get forward enough. He has been our best player by a distance at club level for 2 years, and because he hasnt replicated that form with Ireland, people are demanding we return to Seamus Coleman who has been poor in his recent games for Ireland. Coleman has had a few 4 or 5? decent games in a row and people are scrambling to get him back in.

Some lad above alluded to the Doherty thing being a bandwagon. Pot, meet kettle. 
I’m sick of this narrative about Doherty yes he has been good a club level playing as a wing back with lads moving all over the place to give him space.

At Spurs he hasn’t set the world on fire with us he hasn’t had a good game and all at full back.
He’s defending is average he was our biggest disappointment last night and I’m not talking about the penalty as that’s a lottery to a certain extent.

Coleman would buy and sell him as a full back.

Maybe Jose can improve Doherty as a defender .

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

I’m sick of this narrative about Doherty yes he has been good a club level playing as a wing back with lads moving all over the place to give him space.

At Spurs he hasn’t set the world on fire with us he hasn’t had a good game and all at full back.
He’s defending is average he was our biggest disappointment last night and I’m not talking about the penalty as that’s a lottery to a certain extent.

Coleman would buy and sell him as a full back.

Maybe Jose can improve Doherty as a defender .

He hasnt set the world on fire at Spurs? Would you jog on, there has been 4 Premier League games. Absolutely ridiculous comment.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:34am
There was a period in the second-half where he started to receive the ball where he is best and caused them damage with runs and quick one-twos, I felt there was a slight tweak to the tactics for that to happen, but he never looks comfortable defensively and gave away some needless free-kicks.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
Doherty was one of the better players yesterday! 

The problem i saw was when Doherty or Stevens had the ball a little up field the options just weren't there for them to pass it. 

The interchangeable Coleman/Doherty selection debate ALWAYS favours the player that didn't play.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:08pm
I think he done OK last night but I've been disappointed overall with his ability to keep the ball and as PM said above he lack of tackling ability.

Coleman is a much better fullback then him as he's more defensively sound. Maybe a move forward to the wing or a move to a 3-5-2 type formation where he can play as a wingback would suit him more.  

I'd like to see some form of experimenting in the next two games

Edited by lassassinblanc - 09 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:11pm
Coleman might be a better defender, at times, but he's had some absolute shockers for Ireland over the last few years and I've found him very frustrating to watch at times. It's not like he's been charging forward into the opposition box, or getting crosses in. He can't cross to save his life either. 
When was the last time he had a stand out performance for Ireland? 
It's good that we've got Matt as an option now, and hopefully he improves for Ireland going forward. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

he's had some absolute shockers for Ireland over the last few years

What games had he shockers apart from Switzerland away?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Doherty was one of the better players yesterday! 

The problem i saw was when Doherty or Stevens had the ball a little up field the options just weren't there for them to pass it. 

The interchangeable Coleman/Doherty selection debate ALWAYS favours the player that didn't play.

You could say the whole Ireland team debate favours the player that can’t play. 
AKA pedantic kunt
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
He was sh*te against Georgia away, if I remember correctly he was at fault for a Georgian chance which nearly allowed them to score. I remember at home against the mighty Gibraltar his final ball was consistently awful. 
People are talking like Coleman is our savior now, but he's been just as sh*t as the rest of the players in the last campaigns. Replacing Matt with Coleman wont make much of a difference to the team in my opinion. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

He can't cross? Nonsense - I saw his crosses win Everton five corners in a first-half recently. It's counterproductive pitting two of our best players against each other. We're supporters, aren't we? 

Usually he can't cross anyway, if you talk to any Everton fans this is their main gripe with him. 
Anyway he's in good form now it seems, so hopefully he can do it for Ireland going forward. I think the previous managers just brought out the worst in all of our players. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Coleman might be a better defender, at times, but he's had some absolute shockers for Ireland over the last few years and I've found him very frustrating to watch at times. It's not like he's been charging forward into the opposition box, or getting crosses in. He can't cross to save his life either. 
When was the last time he had a stand out performance for Ireland? 
It's good that we've got Matt as an option now, and hopefully he improves for Ireland going forward. 
He can't cross? Nonsense - I saw his crosses win Everton five corners in a first-half recently. It's counterproductive pitting two of our best players against each other. We're supporters, aren't we? 

I’d hope to see Doherty play a good game for ireland before christening him one of our best players.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:02pm

All i can say is fair play for Matt for taking a pen will never blame him for hitting the bar .

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

All i can say is fair play for Matt for taking a pen will never blame him for hitting the bar .

Brought back horrible memories of Matt Holland in Suwon. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Brought back horrible memories of Matt Holland in Suwon. 
It's do brave to put your hand up to take one , hey if was me i would have been off down the tunnel incase i was asked to take one .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 138>
  Share Topic