You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 138>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:39am
If he plays 3 at the back ...vs Gibraltar could be Coleman there...
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:25am
How is SILVA   still manager??????
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Ah stop he’s not a centre half 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Ah stop he’s not a centre half 

I wouldn’t exactly call Walker a centre half either. I think Coleman’s pace has dropped off. Another reason why he could be struggling. A lot of opposition teams have targeted him as a weak link this season in my opinion. Silva’s tactics and organisation of the team is probably subpar but I do think Coleman has dropped a peg or two anyway. He has a experience and well able to read the game still so maybe playing in a back 3 could revitalise him. If he’s not up to it then unfortunately he has to be on the bench.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:21am
Coleman’s strengths were being able to get up and down the pitch, being able to pass a ball and being able to finish. Never really known for his defensive qualities. He was always able to get back when he went forward and put a boot in. Playing centre half is a totally different kettle of fish. I’ve never really known anyone to turn from a right back into a centre half 
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:26am
Page 1 and 9 years ago...

Originally posted by Pat Fenlon Pat Fenlon wrote:

"I know Mick McCarthy is very taken with him, so we wish him the best of luck."

Originally posted by bossofthemoss bossofthemoss wrote:

No better man than Mick to look after him

I expect both sentiments are truer than ever.

This lad is the Steve Finnan 2.0 I've been waiting for. Hug

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Coleman has become an excellent defender over the last 5/6 years. Despite the fact we regard him as a marauding right-back, when I talk to people from outside of Ireland they regard him as a really solid defender first and foremost. I think he could undoubtedly play in a back 3, but obviously right-back is preferable.
We're decent enough..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:56am
When is the last time Doherty has played as a traditional full back rather then a wing back? No guarantees he’ll be as effective playing as a right/left back. That’s my main worry with this Coleman situation .
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
I must admit I'd have my reservations about playing Matt Doherty at right back if we're playing 4 at the back. Defensively he can be a bit questionable.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:12pm
Is international football....coleman has to Play. Regarding the Rice situation. ALDO was spot on all the time. That situation was very silly and We made Declan the player he is. Bizarre situation but he is not Gary Lineker the player....because the pundit he hates Irish by his comments
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Coleman’s strengths were being able to get up and down the pitch, being able to pass a ball and being able to finish. Never really known for his defensive qualities. He was always able to get back when he went forward and put a boot in. Playing centre half is a totally different kettle of fish. I’ve never really known anyone to turn from a right back into a centre half 

That's obviously just not the case. There are a multitude of examples of players who are proficient at both central defence and full-back, in the modern game and in previous eras.

You also have to take into account that there are different ways of playing with three central defenders. Sheffield United under Chris Wilder being one interesting example - they play with overlapping central defenders where the left and right-sided centre-backs are expected to get forward and provide width, and are sometimes the furthest players forward. Enda Stevens has played as a left-side centre-back in their last two matches.

I don't see why you couldn't accommodate both Doherty and Coleman in a 3-5-2 or variation thereof, but it would probably make more sense to play Coleman at right-back with Doherty ahead of him. Doherty is probably the best player available to us right now and would be wasted at left-back.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:51pm
Doherty for me.

Coleman has been much since he came back from injury
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Nice persistence for the assist there 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Another assist for Doherty and he nearly found the net just now
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Another assist for Doherty and he nearly found the net just now

He is an outrageous wing back. Arguably the best in the Premier League in that position!
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:17pm
Got lucky there should of been peno and a yellow!
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:38pm
Brilliant today
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:40pm
Assist and hit the post. He is brilliant going forward
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 138>
  Share Topic