You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:28pm
Should be called up for Tuesday and if not then needs game time in the States. Needs to be integrated into the squad asap in case anything was to happen to Christie.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:49pm
I have to say, one of my biggest issues with Martin O’Neill is that he’s never given Matt a chance.

This guy is 26, in the prime of his career and playing very well for arguably the best team in the championship. He’s a far better player than Christie at club level.

He could very possibly be playing Premier League football next season, I’m not certain that Christie will ever make that jump.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I have to say, one of my biggest issues with Martin O’Neill is that he’s never given Matt a chance.

This guy is 26, in the prime of his career and playing very well for arguably the best team in the championship. He’s a far better player than Christie at club level.

He could very possibly be playing Premier League football next season, I’m not certain that Christie will ever make that jump.

Think he has had him in the squad at time. He does appear to be doing very well so it's a bit strange he has not had more of a look in, especially at times we've even had to use meylor as a makeshift full back. MoN obviously not been so impressed so far

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Forgot to mention that he can play left or right back. Needs a serious look in friendlies after we qualify for the World Cup, Coleman may never come back the same player, and Christie is not the long term solution.

Edited by Maccatacca - 23 Oct 2017 at 6:54pm
ThePaulUp View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaulUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:56pm
Experimenting with RB’s definitely needed
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think he has had him in the squad at time. He does appear to be doing very well so it's a bit strange he has not had more of a look in, especially at times we've even had to use meylor as a makeshift full back. MoN obviously not been so impressed so far

I’d struggle to see how Doherty hasn’t made any impact in training. Most of the squad are lower premier league or higher championship players, he’s bettering these types of players week in and week out at club level.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:05pm
Yeah it is mad that Doherty has not got more of a look in, of all of our fringe players I think he is the one who can feel the most hard done by. In fairness to Christie he made a good first impression when he joined up with the squad, once he was in there was never a need to replace him so Doherty has never really had a chance. With Colemans injury I thought he would definitely get a look in but it hasn't happened for whatever reason. If Wolves get promoted you'd have to imagine he will be in for the next campaign especially considering he can play either of the full back roles.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Yeah it is mad that Doherty has not got more of a look in, of all of our fringe players I think he is the one who can feel the most hard done by. In fairness to Christie he made a good first impression when he joined up with the squad, once he was in there was never a need to replace him so Doherty has never really had a chance. With Colemans injury I thought he would definitely get a look in but it hasn't happened for whatever reason. If Wolves get promoted you'd have to imagine he will be in for the next campaign especially considering he can play either of the full back roles.

I’d certainly hope he’d be in the squad, we’re not at the level to be saying no to any players playing in the Premier League (if he gets there).
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:07pm
He's been Wolves player of the season before aswel. He's a better player than Christie imo but sure that's why MON gets paid a lot of money to decide these things. Thing is we could lose him to Holland if we don't cap him quick his mother is Dutch.

Edited by dubstep - 23 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

He's been Wolves player of the season before aswel. He's a better player than Christie imo but sure that's why MON gets paid a lot of money to decide these things.

I’ve nothing against Christie, and actually think he’s done well since coming in. But Doherty is actually a good footballer. Christie is a good athlete with absolutely no end product.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
Baffling stuff!

Surely himself and Greg Cunningham deserve a chance. Mon is calling up 2 fullbacks in his extended 90 man squad

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 23 Oct 2017 at 8:48pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
keith3307 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:04pm
I remember he retweeted a fan complaining about Brian Lenihan getting called up ahead of him. Maybe MON took issue with that.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
Have heard from a mate that has interviewed him several times that he has serious attitude issues. But so does our assistant manager. Call him up MON.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:53pm
Care to elaborate? As in he's a knob or what? 
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm

Have heard from a mate that has interviewed him several times that he has serious attitude issues. But so does our assistant manager. Call him up MON.

Our assistant manager was also a world class player, makes it that bit easier to tolerate a difficult personality
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Care to elaborate? As in he's a knob or what? 

He was asked several years ago while on loan at Hibs if he fancied playing for them next season after losing in the cup 5-1 to Hearts, he replied "No chance". Its on Youtube somewhere. He got a load of abuse from Hib's fans as it wasn't a very appropriate response after losing to your biggest rivals.

I wouldn't hold it against him though, really rate him and think he'll go on to be a solid PL performer.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 1:41am
Hasn't he been playing on the right of a four in a 3-4-3 for Wolves lately ? They spent heavily for this season & he survived &is in their side in a key position, he won their penalty on Saturday also. How he is not in our squads is becoming a real mystery definitely if it's just down to on the park matters. 
SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Baffling stuff!

Surely himself and Greg Cunningham deserve a chance. Mon is calling up 2 fullbacks in his extended 90 man squad

The same could said about Enda Stevens. My mate is a ST holder at Pompey and said he left a far better player than when he arrived and could be decent in the Championship... which he is now. I don't see the harm in including him within the 48 man squad. 
Seamus Coleman is Sligo ONLY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 138>
  Share Topic