You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

custom flags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 55>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:45pm
Thanks. Not far from the SF shop and must be half a dozen Carroll's within five minutes walk...will put the effort in tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:15am

That's our flag woefully hung I must say at the Slovakia friendly for people saying fans with these flags don't step foot in the aviva etc etc. I can understand the bad press these flags are getting some of it completely deserved and maybe it is for our flag too but just want to say johnnys got you covered was made back in January completely didn't know it would turn into such a debate. It was made in good heart and more of a message towards how Walters played such a vital part to us qualifying and in fact he does have us covered hopefully in France too. It's my first tournament as doing my leaving cert back in 2012 and maybe naively when we booked in Dec/Jan we thought it was vital to come up with an original flag asap to bring around France to add to the crack the atmosphere and the color that Irish fans notoriously bring. I think people need to see past how bad or not these are and enjoy ourselves in France because we all are travelling with the one goal and that's to support Ireland and show why were the best fans in the world.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:19am
With flags like that that claim is completely blown out of the water. Was there no other way of showing appreciation for Walters without turning the Irish flag into a 21st century version of the 'Carry On' films? Fair play for having the balls to stick your head above the parapet, but surely you must see how offensive it is to see our national flag being used for innuendo?

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 Jun 2016 at 12:21am
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:26am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

With flags like that that claim is completely blown out of the water. Was there no other way of showing appreciation for Walters without turning the Irish flag into a 21st century version of the 'Carry On' films? Fair play for having the balls to stick your head above the parapet, but surely you must see how offensive it is to see our national flag being used for innuendo?

I think showing appreciation for Walters with a bit of harmless humour isn't warrant for the death penalty as some people seem to think. its also as said before more of a banner it won't be up on a flag pole as we belt out the national anthem staring at it don't worry!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:48am
But the banner just so happens to be in the form of our national flag. It is hardly overly complimentary to Walters either, being compared to a contraceptive. The only thing amusing will be seeing it hanging next to flags with pictures of priests. I think GerK summed up my feelings rather well in his piece posted earlier.
I do think it is a shift in society in Ireland with those under thirty, something which wasn't necessary pre-Celtic Pussycat Back in 88, the fans who made it to Germany had great craic, it wasn't forced or created, they were there to celebrate their team and get behind them and then the rest falls into place. Everything with younger Irish lads now seems to involve forced fun, I have seen it in everything from nights out to stag parties and sporting events. We have to be seen to be mad, we have to over compensate for our inability to be great craic by expressing our madness. I would imagine those behind such flags regularly use words like 'banter', possibly even making bad banter puns and giving each other silly nicknames, all the while constantly stating how mad each one is. It is the bizarre love child of English lads culture and the youth of rural Ireland and is a sign that somewhere our culture has gone very wrong.

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 Jun 2016 at 4:53am
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 12:57am

But the banner just so happens to be in the form of our national flag. It is hardly overly complimentary to Walters either, being compared to a contraceptive. The only thing amusing will be seeing it hanging next to flags with pictures of priests. I think GerK summed up my feelings rather well in his piece posted earlier.
I do think it is a shift in society in Ireland with those under thirty, something which was briefly. Back in 88, the fans who made it to Germany had great craic, it wasn't forced or created, they were their to celebrate their team and get behind them and then the rest falls into place. Everything with younger Irish lads now seems to involve forced fun, I have seen it in everything from nights out to stag parties and sporting events. We have to be seen to be mad, we have to over compensate for our inability to be great craic by expressing our madness. I would imagine those behind such flags regularly use words like 'banter', possibly even making bad banter puns and giving each other silly nicknames, all the while constantly stating how mad each one is. It is the bizarre love child of English lads culture and the youth of rural Ireland and is a sign that somewhere our culture has gone very wrong.

Well I am behind one of them flags and am not a regular user of the word banter. I suppose as you have said times have changed but as I said our flag banner or whatever you want to call it, was done in good heart and as an appreciation to Walters in a funny way obviously some won't find it funny some will. We actually bumped into Ciaran Clark and David Meyler when we had the flag and they were adamant "big jon would fuc*in love that flag" as did they so whose to say he would or wouldn't like it!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:05am
I never said that he would or wouldn't, he is a working class Scouser who voted Tory so who is to say what he likes. I wasn't pointing the finger at you, I actually admire you for coming on and discussing it here, more a general look at how cultural changes in the past thirty years have seen us throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. While we have made huge strides socially we have managed to lose what was inherently great and unique about ourselves.
I will implore you though, leave the f**king thing at home.
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:14am
Well sorry to sadden you I won't be leaving it at home pretty sure I read you won't be attending the tournament so glad to say it won't have much of a hindrance on you! And if I'm wrong and you are going to France am sure we can have a pint and try forget about it.
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:17am
Also to say "we have managed to lose what was inherently great and unique about ourselves" over a few flags is an overstatement of the highest order and there's more things in life to worry about.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:26am
I am afraid it isn't and I don't think you have quite grasped my argument. The flags are a manifestation of youth culture in Ireland, something that has been lost down the years. In Stuttgart in 88, we were proud to show where we came from, now we are proud to show disdain for the flag and what mad eejits we all are. It may seem like people getting knotted up over a 'few flags' but I would very much doubt that those of generations past would be too happy to see innuendo ( may I take this opportunity, as somewhat of an expert in bad puns and awful innuendo, that it is f**king terrible) strewn across what represents our nation. Some might say this is a direct line from those scribbling pub names and the like on it, that is another issue. I just think it is a bad reflection on Irish society as a whole.

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 Jun 2016 at 1:27am
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:35am

I am afraid it isn't and I don't think you have quite grasped my argument. The flags are a manifestation of youth culture in Ireland, something that has been lost down the years. In Stuttgart in 88, we were proud to show where we came from, now we are proud to show disdain for the flag and what mad eejits we all are. It may seem like people getting knotted up over a 'few flags' but I would very much doubt that those of generations past would be too happy to see innuendo ( may I take this opportunity, as somewhat of an expert in bad puns and awful innuendo, that it is f**king terrible) strewn across what represents our nation. Some might say this is a direct line from those scribbling pub names and the like on it, that is another issue. I just think it is a bad reflection on Irish society as a whole.

Of course I see where your coming from and it's hard for me to say or have an opinion on 88 etc being 21 years of age. But I'll be brining Johnnys got you covered and I'll also be bringing a tri colour that I will have around me while singing our national anthem on Monday evening proudly. I'll maybe stick Johnny up in the squares or on our balconies of hotels etc and don't think this is as much of a propblem as people are making out to be. Maybe it's different but when Liverpool went to Basel for the Europa final they took over a square and had many different banners and flags up loads of red out windows and on shops and cafes and had a big sing song and the atmosphere and colour and buzz was clearly seen.

Edited by Toohey94 - 09 Jun 2016 at 1:35am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:49am
To be fair, Liverpool might not be the best example to use, the original flag f**knuts, their banners aren't usually a national flag though and are more of an attempt by lads from Rhyl and Oslo to be proper scouse. A quick google of Liverpool fans in Basle and you get a banner saying "my uncle is boss". Anyway, I digress. I have absolutely no problems with displays, taking over town squares peacefully and proudly flying the green, more with the offensive nature of desecrating the flag and the fact we are going to give Europe the same impression of young Irishmen as the Australians currently enjoy.
I wish you and yours a safe trip to France,though I do hope someone does what is right to your monstrosity!

Edited by pre Madonna - 09 Jun 2016 at 4:55am
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:53am
You seem an awfully grumpy old man I'll be on crutches for the duration but I'll make it my business to get my flag up everywhere so you can see it and I will enjoy every second of it especially when in the three stadiums with nothing on my mind but 3 points especially not flags!!

Edited by Toohey94 - 09 Jun 2016 at 1:54am
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:03am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

The lads on the Facebook Crap Flag Group are doing a roaring trade at the moment. I actually cannot believe the stupidity of these people. Now they're just sending in their own flags to them and having their mates comment underneath. I despair for this generation

Ah for f**k sake I didnt see that page before you mentioned it. What a bunch of absolute f**king t**sers.

I think the lad who's running that page is a sad and lonely individual. Like you must have a seriously sh*t and boring life to waste your time doing something like that. Feel sorry for the kid

you just doesn't get it LOL

Get what?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Toohey94 Toohey94 wrote:

You seem an awfully grumpy old man I'll be on crutches for the duration but I'll make it my business to get my flag up everywhere so you can see it and I will enjoy every second of it especially when in the three stadiums with nothing on my mind but 3 points especially not flags!!

I am only just the wrong side of thirty! But yes, the modern world annoys the f**k out of me! You can use your crutch as a flagpole, if you hold it above your head you will get loads of French girls checking out your crutch( that is bad innuendo, I still wouldn't put it on a tricolour)
Toohey94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toohey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:07am

I am only just the wrong side of thirty! But yes, the modern world annoys the f**k out of me! You can use your crutch as a flagpole, if you hold it above your head you will get loads of French girls checking out your crutch( that is bad innuendo, I still wouldn't put it on a tricolour)

Why didn't I think of that, must get flagman to make me a new flag where I can use my crutch to wave it in the stadium. What's your favourite father ted quote Pre Madonna I'm going to dedicate this one to you
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:14am

You're dealing with a self proclaimed pre Madonna here. You can't win!!

Anyway just know that the flag bashers are a vocal minority. Nobody will say anything to you out there especially since the vast majority don't give a sh*t and they'll stand out like sore Thumbs. And I've noticed a lot of the moaners aren't even going.

Personally I think the ones with words like "****" or pictures of a bare arse are a step too far. But all the flags like yours with a catchy slogan accompanying a picture are fine.

Pre Madonna was going on about the younger generation like yourself having forced fun. a lot of them are old and grumpy so don't expect them to understand. We're just care free and are going to enjoy ourselves while supporting our country.

Roy Keane probably hates these flags but I bet you most of the players will think they're a bit of fun as your example shows.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:17am
Like many Irish people Father Ted is one of my favourite comedies, it combines cultural satire with wonderfully scripted stupidity, Graham Linehan is a comedy genius and someone of whom we can be proud. I just don't think the best way to express this pride is by sticking quotes from Ted on a tricolour. I doubt you will see many English fans with Blackadder or Peep Show quotes; The Scots didn't arrive in Dublin with Jimmy Krankie banners , nor will the North have many of Uncle Andy, although there will be plenty Incle Andy types waving them!Thousands of years of culture, music, poetry, literature of heroes and warriors and the best we can do is the flag equivalent of sticking a pair of underpants on our heads while belching the national anthem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 55>
  Share Topic